Seniors Thread - Page 48
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Seniors Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #471
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2807 Times on 1678 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

The most important 'number' when checking cholesterol is the ratio between the LDL and the HDL. The actual 'total' is secondary, but it makes the drug companies MILLIONS!!!

Last edited by JimRau; 06-23-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Balota Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #472
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I am younger than most of you, but I'm gonna chime in anyhow. I think the elephant in the examination room is diet and lifestyle. Doctors refuse to factor in the human factor when considering your health, rather relying on getting the numbers to where they are told they should be through chemistry. People can (and often do) change their health through better living, and it does NOT mean that you have to suffer through it (though if you insist that any change in your lifestyle or diet is de facto suffering, then there is no help for you!).

Back in September my doctor told me I needed to start on cholesterol medicine. I was just over 200. He based it on one single blood test (I rarely go in to the doctor for checkups). Rather than monitor it for a few months he just pulled the trigger on the prescription pad. I was also diagnosed with chronic depression, interestingly enough I also suffer from poor sleep, low libido, low strength, hot flashes, high stress and at the time no set schedule (my schedule was literally all over the clock on any given day). The doctors recommended Cymbalta for that. Also found out that I have low Testosterone. Guess what? Low T can cause nearly all of the aforementioned symptoms! The thing is that your standard blood tests don't cover free testosterone, or any other hormone testing for the most part (leastaways not the most important ones in terms of how your endocrine health is concerned).

So, its simple right? Take one of the many testosterone replacement therapies. Lots available (though they are expensive if they are not covered by your health plan- as in my case). Thing is that when you artificially increase the testosterone levels in your body, your body responds by decreasing its own production! So you are doomed to a lifetime of testosterone replacement as your body shuts it down.

So what I have done is to work on finding out what I can do in my diet and lifestyle that will trigger my body to start increasing my testosterone production on its own, and at the same time lower my cholesterol and increase my health overall. I don't add any sugar to my food- at the same time I don't eat too many sweets or foods that have added sugar. I have decreased gluten in my diet which means paying close attention to wheat in particular. (I am probably going to be doing some testing to see if gluten is indeed a problem for me in the future). I am avoiding dairy products- though I have not eliminated them. I have all but eliminated all corn sugar from my diet- as much as can be expected at least in this day and age (note, I have stopped eating any and all fast foods entirely several years ago- its just not good for you) because it is often included in some really deceptive ways in many products.

Pretty much I have stopped eating packaged food in favor of fresh food. No preservatives that way. I eat lots of meat, but try to eat leaner meat- and prefer grass fed. Lots of chicken (which I like). I still eat bacon- but not the highly processed stuff.

Its a long process, but it took me all of my life to get where I am, so why not spend some quality time fixing it up if I can?

And I take absolutely NO prescription drugs.
People Like This 
Old 06-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #473
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2807 Times on 1678 Posts
Likes Given: 1715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I am younger than most of you, but I'm gonna chime in anyhow. I think the elephant in the examination room is diet and lifestyle. Doctors refuse to factor in the human factor when considering your health, rather relying on getting the numbers to where they are told they should be through chemistry. People can (and often do) change their health through better living, and it does NOT mean that you have to suffer through it (though if you insist that any change in your lifestyle or diet is de facto suffering, then there is no help for you!).

Back in September my doctor told me I needed to start on cholesterol medicine. I was just over 200. He based it on one single blood test (I rarely go in to the doctor for checkups). Rather than monitor it for a few months he just pulled the trigger on the prescription pad. I was also diagnosed with chronic depression, interestingly enough I also suffer from poor sleep, low libido, low strength, hot flashes, high stress and at the time no set schedule (my schedule was literally all over the clock on any given day). The doctors recommended Cymbalta for that. Also found out that I have low Testosterone. Guess what? Low T can cause nearly all of the aforementioned symptoms! The thing is that your standard blood tests don't cover free testosterone, or any other hormone testing for the most part (leastaways not the most important ones in terms of how your endocrine health is concerned).

So, its simple right? Take one of the many testosterone replacement therapies. Lots available (though they are expensive if they are not covered by your health plan- as in my case). Thing is that when you artificially increase the testosterone levels in your body, your body responds by decreasing its own production! So you are doomed to a lifetime of testosterone replacement as your body shuts it down.

So what I have done is to work on finding out what I can do in my diet and lifestyle that will trigger my body to start increasing my testosterone production on its own, and at the same time lower my cholesterol and increase my health overall. I don't add any sugar to my food- at the same time I don't eat too many sweets or foods that have added sugar. I have decreased gluten in my diet which means paying close attention to wheat in particular. (I am probably going to be doing some testing to see if gluten is indeed a problem for me in the future). I am avoiding dairy products- though I have not eliminated them. I have all but eliminated all corn sugar from my diet- as much as can be expected at least in this day and age (note, I have stopped eating any and all fast foods entirely several years ago- its just not good for you) because it is often included in some really deceptive ways in many products.

Pretty much I have stopped eating packaged food in favor of fresh food. No preservatives that way. I eat lots of meat, but try to eat leaner meat- and prefer grass fed. Lots of chicken (which I like). I still eat bacon- but not the highly processed stuff.

Its a long process, but it took me all of my life to get where I am, so why not spend some quality time fixing it up if I can?

And I take absolutely NO prescription drugs.
What is 'younger' than most of us????

Old 06-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #474
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5051 Times on 2970 Posts
Likes Given: 4226

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Check out the poll/thread:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/how-old-we-16063/
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #475
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1857 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 223

I am 64. In 2004 I took a vacation day off from work Monday, 12/13. In the morning I went to the gym, did cardio and resistance workouts. I went home, did some yard work, and at 3:00 PM grabbed my soccer kit and refereed two high school soccer games, without incident. Came home at about 8:00 PM, and got in the shower. When I got out I was perspiring heavily, was a bit nauseous though I had not eaten, and had chest pressure. Not pain.

My wife drove me to the hospital as I did not think it worthy of an ambulance. I was in the middle of a heart attack, that moved right into a triple bypass two days later.

In November of that year they had measured my cholesterall, and it was at 164 on diet and exercise. They gave me a statin anyway. In the hospital it was 127. My fitness was good, I was dirinking very little, and watching my diet. My weight was about 225, but I am 6'2" so I was not that heavy.

After talking with the Cardiologist, his conclusion was since my Paternal Grandmother had died of a heart attach at 61, and her oldest grandchild of a heart attack at 55, and I was #2, it had to be heredity.

At this point I take way too many heart pills, still watch my diet, drink more then then, but not a lot. I am not sure anything they do will really prevent the next one.

Oh, and I have a stress cardiogram tomorrow and Tuesday.

I am looking at Chellation therapy for my arteries though. I believe it is working for a relative and am looking into it. He is allergic to almost all statins and BP meds and has been using chellation. He tells me his arteries are great.
People Like This 
Old 06-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #476
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22397 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
I am 64. In 2004 I took a vacation day off from work Monday, 12/13. In the morning I went to the gym, did cardio and resistance workouts. I went home, did some yard work, and at 3:00 PM grabbed my soccer kit and refereed two high school soccer games, without incident. Came home at about 8:00 PM, and got in the shower. When I got out I was perspiring heavily, was a bit nauseous though I had not eaten, and had chest pressure. Not pain.

My wife drove me to the hospital as I did not think it worthy of an ambulance. I was in the middle of a heart attack, that moved right into a triple bypass two days later.

In November of that year they had measured my cholesterall, and it was at 164 on diet and exercise. They gave me a statin anyway. In the hospital it was 127. My fitness was good, I was dirinking very little, and watching my diet. My weight was about 225, but I am 6'2" so I was not that heavy.

After talking with the Cardiologist, his conclusion was since my Paternal Grandmother had died of a heart attach at 61, and her oldest grandchild of a heart attack at 55, and I was #2, it had to be heredity.

At this point I take way too many heart pills, still watch my diet, drink more then then, but not a lot. I am not sure anything they do will really prevent the next one.

Oh, and I have a stress cardiogram tomorrow and Tuesday.

I am looking at Chellation therapy for my arteries though. I believe it is working for a relative and am looking into it. He is allergic to almost all statins and BP meds and has been using chellation. He tells me his arteries are great.
heart disease can be hereditary. it runs in our family from my fathers side of the family. my paternal grandmother has had many members of her family either have had heart attacks or died from them. if it's hereditary, then it's always a possibility that a person can have a heart attack or stroke, but by being healthy and taking care of yourself, IMO, it improves your chances of living through it.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #477
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2299 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 6689

Yesterday was absolutely beautiful. Sunny, warm but not hot, blue sky.
I decided to clear brush and trim limbs. Today is a down day.

Doc suggested Lavoza for high triglycerides. Although the numbers are better, I believe it is the source of my elbows itching.

High numbers for Triglycerides make the LDL and HDL numbers hard to get.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #478
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1070 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I am younger than most of you, but I'm gonna chime in anyhow. I think the elephant in the examination room is diet and lifestyle. ...
....And I take absolutely NO prescription drugs.
Just wait, just wait, you ain't seen nothin' yet. We old geezers could tell you what's ahead but you'd never believe it and you'll never remember it!

I do agree diet, lifestyle, and heredity are big factors. Do be aware we all ultimately wear out - some with more grace and health than others - but wear out none the less.

Enjoy each day and your youth!
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #479
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22397 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
Just wait, just wait, you ain't seen nothin' yet. We old geezers could tell you what's ahead but you'd never believe it and you'll never remember it!

I do agree diet, lifestyle, and heredity are big factors. Do be aware we all ultimately wear out - some with more grace and health than others - but wear out none the less.

well said John. you can control your diet and lifestyle, but you have no control over your heredity factors. and i believe that by controlling what you can, it does help with what you can't.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #480
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I will be 48 this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post

I have cared for enough elderly (as in 80+ years old) people who are no longer with us to know much of what you would tell me. I do try to enjoy life as much as I can- its pretty rough for me right now though.
People Like This