Seniors Thread - Page 47
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Seniors Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #461
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2156 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 1077

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
Welcome to the "Cataract Club". Are you aware each one has a micro serial number? They can ID our remains from our eyeballs!!
That is assuming your eye is in tact. When I go I want to go out with a BIG BANG, but I will probably just not wake up someday.
But with my new lens I see better now than I have in 30 years.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 06-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #462
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5527 Times on 1903 Posts
Likes Given: 1612

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I resemble that. I would still wear out a truck load of parachutes if I had them!!!
I hear you.
This was my 150th and last.
Hollywood jump from a Blackhawk.

NSDQ

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who don’t like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.

People Like This 
Old 06-21-2013, 03:11 AM   #463
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My last jump was out of a 141 and rode the spoiler!!! But I think I miss jumping more than flying and blowing things up!!!
I have never set foot on a blackhawk!
You must be a young 'old fart'!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Last edited by JimRau; 06-21-2013 at 03:13 AM.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #464
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5527 Times on 1903 Posts
Likes Given: 1612

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
My last jump was out of a 141 and rode the spoiler!!! But I think I miss jumping more than flying and blowing things up!!!
I have never set foot on a blackhawk!
You must be a young 'old fart'!
Drafted 1967 at 23, 2 yrs, got out. Stayed out 10 years and joined back up Airborne at 34 years old. Went thru jump school at Benning in July.
Can you say much time under the outdoor showers.
Then Pathfinder school, after that 509th (Geronimo Bn) in Italy.
So on and on until retirement in 96.

NSDQ

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who don’t like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #465
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I guess you're not so young, you're an old fart. I joined in 1967 WOFT at 19.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #466

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
Yes, then you get a perscription to deal with side effect of the other perscriptions!

I stopped taking my cholesterol medicine a month ago an feel much stronger and better. I've been able to start running again and don't have the easy bruising marks on my arms that I had when even lightly scrapped them. I'm 70, so sooner I'll die anyway be it a results of high cholesterol or get run over crossing the street ..."it is appointed unto man once to die". Anyway, I'm ready anytime.
I gotta admire your stance on statins. Some people don't do well on them - leg trouble, muscle trouble, joints, energy, .... But the docs talk them up like they are "the answer". But there also is controversy concerning whether cholesterol even contributes to heart trouble - or is the cholesterol the result of other things...? is the cholesterol actually just present due to other conditions that are not understood. ... conditions that coincide with heart stuff ... not cause heart trouble.
Historically, the docs have gotten it wrong many times in the past about many other things. And the public was pushed into using drugs for conditions that as the years went by, turned out to be the exact opposite of what should have been done.
I realize that the docs have to go with their best guess at the time - but it often is a guess - and real conclusive cause and effect have not actually been established in many conditions. Heart stuff seems to be one of them.

Heredity is a powerful thing.

Last edited by Colby; 06-24-2013 at 10:04 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #467
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8150 Times on 4875 Posts
Likes Given: 10523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
I gotta admire your stance on statins. Some people don't do well on them - leg trouble, muscle trouble, joints, energy, .... But the docs talk them up like they are "the answer". But there also is controversy concerning whether cholesterol even contributes to heart trouble - or is the cholesterol the result of other things...? is the cholesterol actually just present due to other conditions that are not understood. ... conditions that coincide with heart stuff ... not cause heart trouble.
Historically, the docs have gotten it wrong man times in the past about many other things. And the public was pushed into using drugs for conditions that as the years went by, turned out to be the exact opposite of what should have been done.
I realize that the docs have to go with their best guess at the time - but it often is a guess - and real conclusive cause and effect have not actually been established in many conditions. Heart stuff seems to be one of them.

Heredity is a powerful thing.
Very good point. I had a doctor visit just a couple weeks ago. I asked about help with arthritis pain and decreasing range of motion. My doctor simply recommended Aleve or Ibuprofen and to keep moving. He actually said, "Years ago, I could have done much more for you." I asked him what he meant by that. He said they were doing things for arthritic patients they later found out they shouldn't be doing.

Then, in the past, he has suggested statins for my not so high cholesterol. It ranges anywhere from 190-215ish. He wanted to put me on statins. I refused. I highly suspect years from now statins will be one of those things they later discover they shouldn't have been doing for us. Anway, it's not just the cholesterol level to be concerned about but also the HDL and the cholesterol ratio.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol-ratio/AN01761

I do take several medications each day that the doctor and I agree that I need. But there are some he just can't talk me into. When he says, "Studies show these meds help in such-and-such situations......" I always counter with "Who funds those studies?" Usually it's the maker of those meds. Do you think the studies are going to 'prove' those meds aren't spectacular? Yeah, I don't think so, either.
People Like This 
Old 06-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #468
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2610 Times on 1584 Posts
Likes Given: 2686

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

Very good point. I had a doctor visit just a couple weeks ago. I asked about help with arthritis pain and decreasing range of motion. My doctor simply recommended Aleve or Ibuprofen and to keep moving. He actually said, "Years ago, I could have done much more for you." I asked him what he meant by that. He said they were doing things for arthritic patients they later found out they shouldn't be doing.

Then, in the past, he has suggested statins for my not so high cholesterol. It ranges anywhere from 190-215ish. He wanted to put me on statins. I refused. I highly suspect years from now statins will be one of those things they later discover they shouldn't have been doing for us. Anway, it's not just the cholesterol level to be concerned about but also the HDL and the cholesterol ratio.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol-ratio/AN01761

I do take several medications each day that the doctor and I agree that I need. But there are some he just can't talk me into. When he says, "Studies show these meds help in such-and-such situations......" I always counter with "Who funds those studies?" Usually it's the maker of those meds. Do you think the studies are going to 'prove' those meds aren't spectacular? Yeah, I don't think so, either.
I do take pravastatin. But without it my cholesterol got over 300. Now it's consistently under 200 and HDL around 50. Works for some, but should not be automatic over 200. I'd gladly stop if I could. Some leg cramping in the morning. Goes away once I get up & start moving.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 06-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #469

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

A little expansion on my previous post ...

My doc was trying to get my cholesterol to an extremely low number - most importantly the LDL number - and she succeeded - with 80 mg lipitor (a very high dose) and when I had lots of troubles with it - she change to heavy dose Crestor. She talked like Crestor was the ultimate and the answer. I blindly took it for months - my cholesterol readings became extremely low - which were her goal.
But she didn't tell me about possible side effects of these things. I was miserable! No energy, legs felt like lead, hip pain began (even got xrays from an orthopedics doc, things were getting so bad!!), then knee pain began, then even foot bone joint pain began - and hands ... I had difficulty getting up off the couch!

Me ... I have been an extreme exerciser all my life. 5' 10", 173-190 lbs over the years - presently 179. Six days at the gym. Alternating very heavy weight sessions with aerobic day sessions. For many many years. I look fit. I was trying to maintain that routine - but daily life I was in constant pain - dragging around. I told poeple "I guess I am just aging very quickly, for some reason".
Then I began reading about side effects and statins and cholesterol and heart stuff. I wrote a summary sheet of my symptoms since embarking on this extreme statin stuff - one full page! I was amazed at all the different things - even hair loss!!
In my readings I had came across medical community skepticism that cholesterol even was related - as a cause - for heart or vascular trouble. Bunch of reading on this out there ...

Back to doc. The list - some reasonable discussion with her. I took myself off all statins for 6 weeks - did a blood test - results - high cholesterol - like 280 and LDL of like 170. The docs major concerns these days is the LDL - getting it low. She wanted mine down to almost 70 - and she did get it down to 73 at one point with the very high Lipitor dose and then high Crestor. So .. next appointment she decides I am one that does not tolerate statins well. Put me on 10 mg lipitor (was on 80mg , remember) - cholesterol dropped to 200, Ldl to 90, hdl to 85. The higher the Hdl the better - and 85 is much higher than normal - Hdl is supposed to combat the Ldl. Ldl is the doc's primary concern these days.
So .. conclusion. With the lowest dose lipitor available- 10 mg - I got close to her target of 72 for Ldl - 90 Ldl --- vs the 170 Ldl with no statin. Huge difference with only the smallest dose.
She has labeled me as "statin intolerant". Kept me on 10 mg - saying it's pretty good.

But I was having major life trouble trying to live with those high doses of statins. And it was amazing to learn in my readings that there is no real conclusive evidence that reducing cholesterol improves heart or vascular - anything. In fact that there are a number of people who suspect that the cholesterol just happens to be high as a side effect of other things going on in your body - and it is not a cause of heart troubles - just a side effect of something - unknown.

Another thing I was amazed to learn is that all of your body cells (each one) requires a certain amount of cholesterol in order to function properly - to be able to carry out it's intended function. So ... your body needs cholesterol!! In fact, you body manufacturers it's own cholesterol! and these pills take the cholesterol away - destroy it - even though it may well be critically needed for cell function (which seems to be the case with me due to all the many troubles I was enduring over this high statin "experimentation" period.

But remember, there are other people out there that can tolerate these statins better - I guess. I don't really know. Maybe they don't notice or complain as much or ... who knows...

My thinking, after going through these many months of "experimentation" with high statin levels and having such widespread trouble and disability due to those statin levels and their extremely low cholesterol and LDL levels - is that your body (it's cells) require cholesterol in certain amounts - and if it does get it - or the cholesterol is "taken away" with high statins, your body (my body) starts having many, many troubles - pain, energy, joint trouble all over, hair loss, depression - as though I was seriously aging very quickly.

This was a very unpleasant episode I just went through.
But then careful reading shows - they don't even know that it does any good - really. But it is the present day accepted practice - so the docs all kind of have to support it - or they could be criticized as not providing the best accepted practice.

But the medical profession has made many serious completely wrong calls in the past - that messed people up mightily.
Look these things up. Google can take you there.

A person really does need to be their own best medical advocate - and learn as much as possible. The docs don't know it all.

Last edited by Colby; 06-24-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #470
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2610 Times on 1584 Posts
Likes Given: 2686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
So ... your body need cholesterol!! In fact, you body manufacturers it's own cholesterol! and these pills take the cholesterol away - destroy it - even though it may well me critically needed for cell function (which seems to be the case with me due to all the many troubles I was enduring over this high statin "experimentation" period.

A person really does need to be their own best medical advocate - and learn as much as possible. The docs don't know it all.
Doc's know a lot, but not all, you're exactly right.

One of the popular misconceptions is that you have to eat low cholesterol foods to keep your cholesterol low. Your body does not have a way to transfer cholesterol molecules from your digestive tract to your blood stream. It has to digest the cholesterol, transfer the building blocks to the liver (?I think?) where cholesterol is re-formed and put into the blood stream. How much gets put into your blood stream depends on how much your body thinks it needs.

At one point I tried to lose weight using a high protein, low carb diet. It worked pretty well at losing the weight, but it wasn't a healthy, sustainable way to live. My normal breakfast was an english muffin covered in peanut butter and real bacon bits. Other meals were also in the "OMG, are you insane?" category. In one month, my cholesterol dropped from over 300 to 240.

Doctors don't know it all, and I certainly don't either. Here's what I've read. LDL is low density lipoprotein. The "lipo" refers to fat structures. Fat is where your body stores sugars for energy. Easiest place to get the sugars is from carbs. By drastically reducing my carbs, my body was forced to look for another source, stored fat. Hence the weight loss. But the most readily available source was LDL, so that came down even quicker.

Needless to say, my doctor took a dim view of my diet (The OMG quote was from him!) Even though in 3 months I dropped from around 210 to 185 lb and felt great! I stopped that diet and started eating normally, but was on statins and also Zetia for a while. Cholesterol is now down below 200 consistently and HDL is up around 50 or so. But I ballooned to 230+. Started exercising and controlling portions. Got down to 195 and now I'm stuck there. Oh well.

Based on what you posted, I think I'll ask my doctor if we can reduce the dosage on my statins.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/