Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Seniors Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #301
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Why did they not tell us muzzle blast is forever? My left ear (the one closer to the muzzle) isn't worth a damn and they tell me a hearing aid will only amplify the tinnitus and garbling.

I'm 75, got arthritis pretty much head to toe. Lungs are shot--quit smoking 21 years ago after 40 years of two and half to three packs a day, and it was too late. Knees and basal thumb joints are gone, and the knuckles on both hands make my paws look like heads of pink cauliflower. Can't hunt anymore, and magnum recoil in a handgun is out of the question.

But you know, life isn't half bad if I take it a day at a time. I can still handle my J-frame carry gun, cook damn fine meals, learn something new every day, enjoy a few old and close friends, appreciate beauty in nature (and women), walk my fine little rescue dog, and relish the fact that I've been an observer of the most complex and interesting three quarters of a century in history.

In some countries the wisdom of age is treasured. That's not a prominent feature of American society. But we old guys know that our wisdom is deep and hard-earned and valuable. Now if the little bastards would just listen...

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

People Like This 
Old 02-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #302

Liked 374 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldazagged

But you know, life isn't half bad if I take it a day at a time. I can still handle my J-frame carry gun, cook damn fine meals, learn something new every day, enjoy a few old and close friends, appreciate beauty in nature (and women), walk my fine little rescue dog, and relish the fact that I've been an observer of the most complex and interesting three quarters of a century in history.

In some countries the wisdom of age is treasured. That's not a prominent feature of American society. But we old guys know that our wisdom is deep and hard-earned and valuable. Now if the little bastards would just listen...
Best post I've read today! If everyone had your outlook the world would be a much better place.

01100011011011110110110101100101001000000110000101 10111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110 01010010000001110100011010000110010101101101

People Like This 
Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #303

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You're too kind, sdiver. It's just what works for me. But thanks for the generous words.

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

Old 02-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #304
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1448 Times on 883 Posts
Likes Given: 1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldazagged View Post
Why did they not tell us muzzle blast is forever? My left ear (the one closer to the muzzle) isn't worth a damn and they tell me a hearing aid will only amplify the tinnitus and garbling.

I'm 75, got arthritis pretty much head to toe. Lungs are shot--quit smoking 21 years ago after 40 years of two and half to three packs a day, and it was too late. Knees and basal thumb joints are gone, and the knuckles on both hands make my paws look like heads of pink cauliflower. Can't hunt anymore, and magnum recoil in a handgun is out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver35 View Post
Best post I've read today! If everyone had your outlook the world would be a much better place.
I hope I can have that attitude in 15-20 years when I get that "experienced"!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

dango Likes This 
Old 02-19-2013, 03:32 AM   #305
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2228 Times on 1383 Posts
Likes Given: 14840

As shouldazagged stated , Hmmm..? .........ah........?Where am I ?.........? Who are yue ?..............Whatever ,...........Hmmm..?...............?

Getting Old Sucks......!

Old 02-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #306
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6151 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 7028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheshop View Post
Just saying,my eyes seem to be getting better with age.....it's either that or the skills have gotten way sharper?
My sight has gotten better with age. I no longer have to wear glasses to see far but I now need reading glasses. I'll take the trade off.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 02-19-2013 at 03:28 PM.
dango Likes This 
Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #307
Mommy, who lights the sun?

Liked 1448 Times on 883 Posts
Likes Given: 1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
My sigh has gotten better with age. I no longer have to wear glasses to see far but I now need reading glasses. I'll take the trade off.
I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. I'm still about 20-400 near sighted (without glasses and eyes rested). But it's correctable to better than 20-20.

I got checked for Lasik by the best laser guy in the Tulsa area. He said that according to the normal guidelines I just barely would qualify. But I'm borderline in about 4 different areas. Those areas are related to each other in ways that makes it VERY risky for me to try it. Risky enough that he was not willing to try it. So, looks like my reliance on corrective lenses will continue.

Sigh... Guess I get to practice that a while longer as well... Maybe my "sigh" will get better with age too...

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #308
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1366 Times on 1034 Posts
Likes Given: 1768

Old age sucks, just as soon as you retire, taxes and food prices go up. Along with gas and what ever the gubment can throw at you....... Then comes the repair on the house that you have been living in and paying taxes on, an the property tax. Now your old and your state and federal gubment tells you that your better off dead...Now i say Its time to fight till the finis........Hells comin to pay you arse holes in congress a visit, and it ain't going to be purty......Nature will have its way........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #309

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Old age sucks, just as soon as you retire, taxes and food prices go up. Along with gas and what ever the gubment can throw at you....... Then comes the repair on the house that you have been living in and paying taxes on, an the property tax. Now your old and your state and federal gubment tells you that your better off dead...Now i say Its time to fight till the finis........Hells comin to pay you arse holes in congress a visit, and it ain't going to be purty......Nature will have its way........
I bought this farm in 1971 upon returning from the Corps - - - annual payment of $12,275.00 and $625.00 in property Taxes

Now it’s paid for and the property taxes are $10,400.00 a year - - - That is $200.00 per week over and above all other taxes I have to pay!

We should continue on this path till we are all broke!!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #310
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7399 Times on 4276 Posts
Likes Given: 9513

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
I bought this farm in 1971 upon returning from the Corps - - - annual payment of $12,275.00 and $625.00 in property Taxes

Now it’s paid for and the property taxes are $10,400.00 a year - - - That is $200.00 per week over and above all other taxes I have to pay!

We should continue on this path till we are all broke!!!!
I hate it when I tell people that we own our 20 acres free and clear. They always say "You're rich! I wish I was rich like you!"

They have never tried to buy groceries with land.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.