Seniors Thread - Page 19
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Seniors Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #181
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7036 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 8481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Do any of you guys with arthritis have trouble racking slides - and possibly even pulling triggers?
I'm trying to figure out a way for an older person with that kind of condition to be able to shoot a self defense gun. The slide of a semi-auto jut isn't working - revolvers are OK but the trigger pull in double action is too much - at least for the guns I have found. I've been thinking there may be a softer pull hammer on some revolver that I don't know about - so maybe single action would work - with a soft hammer pull.
Anybody know of one? Or some other way to cope with this finger weakness?
Colby, I see myself heading the same way. My left hand more than my right is weak and sometimes painful. Particularly my thumb. One of my co-workers gave me some 'therapy putty' to work in my hand. It was painful and it seemed to make it worse as my hand was in pain for several hours after working the putty. At the range, I can only shoot a few cylinders full out of my revolver as, I agree, it has a long, hard trigger pull. I find myself shooting it more and more in SA. For now, I still don't have any trouble racking slides as I use my whole hand and not just the fingers.

I may try that shark cartilage........but it just sounds gross.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #182
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1844 Times on 1314 Posts
Likes Given: 2079

Default Dirty jobs.......

after I retired I found that most of my ailments in my life time were due to the envionment in which I worked. Esp. in the last machine shop. No more nose bleeds and sinus infections, less stress means less headaches and stomach disorders. Right now its the constant back pain and arthritis thats the worst. But what the hell I don't have to call those arse holes anymore to tell them I won't be in for WORK........PS..... where can I keep my iceehot so's I don't forget where I put it......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 12-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #183
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
where can I keep my iceehot so's I don't forget where I put it......
Right next to the beer.
willshoum Likes This 
Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #184
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 666 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Colby, I see myself heading the same way. My left hand more than my right is weak and sometimes painful. Particularly my thumb. .

I may try that shark cartilage........but it just sounds gross.
Shark cartilage will work, but it's more of a long-term preventative measure.

Make sure the problem with your hand isn't carpal tunnel, mixed with some arthritis. A simple operation fixes the carpel tunnel….and for the arthritis in the hands…..try DMSO.
You can get it from a site selling medicinal grade…or do what I do, buy the same stuff at the vet supply at one-third the cost.
Use the 70% solution. Just clean the skin, then massage it into the sore joints maybe twice a day for a week. It actually repairs the cartilage if caught soon enough. Expect results in a couple of days.
If only the 99% is available, dilute it to 70% by adding 1/3 distilled water.

My wife is a non-believer and it still fixed her 'sticking thumb' in one week. I've been using it on my knees and hands at the first sign of painful joints for twenty years…

http://www.naturalnews.com/037485_DMSO_inflammation_muscle_pain.html

Old 12-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #185
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
Shark cartilage will work, but it's more of a long-term preventative measure.

Make sure the problem with your hand isn't carpal tunnel, mixed with some arthritis. A simple operation fixes the carpel tunnel….and for the arthritis in the hands…..try DMSO.
You can get it from a site selling medicinal grade…or do what I do, buy the same stuff at the vet supply at one-third the cost.
Use the 70% solution. Just clean the skin, then massage it into the sore joints maybe twice a day for a week. It actually repairs the cartilage if caught soon enough. Expect results in a couple of days.
If only the 99% is available, dilute it to 70% by adding 1/3 distilled water.

My wife is a non-believer and it still fixed her 'sticking thumb' in one week. I've been using it on my knees and hands at the first sign of painful joints for twenty years…

http://www.naturalnews.com/037485_DMSO_inflammation_muscle_pain.html
I had an arthritic horse and I rubbed DMSO on her knees. I have thought of using that but I wasn't sure about it's use on humans. I know my right knee has very little cartilage left. I also know my left hand is not carpal tunnel. It is mostly my thumb that is painful and weak. Also, my left elbow does not straighten all the way and it is getting progressively worse. When I extend both arms straight out, my left arm is at a noticeable angle at the elbow. It is very frustrating.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #186
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8195 Times on 4732 Posts
Likes Given: 10552

Quote:
I had an arthritic horse and I rubbed DMSO on her knees. I have thought of using that but I wasn't sure about it's use on humans. I know my right knee has very little cartilage left. I also know my left hand is not carpal tunnel. It is mostly my thumb that is painful and weak. Also, my left elbow does not straighten all the way and it is getting progressively worse. When I extend both arms straight out, my left arm is at a noticeable angle at the elbow. It is very frustrating.
DMSO works but it does damage the liver, especially when used continuously, because it is a mineral spirit, or solvent. It penetrates the skin readily and can cause some relief right away, but would probably work better as a carrier for something else. Using too much DMSO for too long can cause serious liver damage and even death. Be careful of that stuff.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #187
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I had an arthritic horse and I rubbed DMSO on her knees. I have thought of using that but I wasn't sure about it's use on humans. I know my right knee has very little cartilage left. frustrating.
There are many sources regarding the safe use on humans. This is a book on the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/DMSO-Natures-Healer-Morton-Walker/dp/0895295482

Like I said, I've been using it for a long time. It does work, and surprisingly fast, not only on joints but muscular soreness and wounds as well. It's not a pain killer like aspirin…it aids the healing process and fixes the problem.

I believe the best time to use it is early on, before all the cartilage is gone.

If I had your knee, I would be dosing it morning and night. A week on…a week off. It certainly won't hurt…and it just might make it a lot better! You will know within a few days.

If you decide to try it, buy a new bottle. It penetrates the skin…so don't use some that has been in someones' tack room. And don't use the 99% solution. It's too strong and will irritate the skin.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #188
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
DMSO works but it does damage the liver, especially when used continuously, because it is a mineral spirit, or solvent. It penetrates the skin readily and can cause some relief right away, but would probably work better as a carrier for something else. Using too much DMSO for too long can cause serious liver damage and even death. Be careful of that stuff.
I kind of wondered why it isn't readily available for human use.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #189
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
. Using too much DMSO for too long can cause serious liver damage and even death. Be careful of that stuff.

Thanks, Viking
I've never read that but I you may be correct.

I'm not selling DMSO…I'm just sharing what has worked for me in the past. For me it fixes the problem in a few days and I forget about it.
I did mechanical labor for a living and I had arthritis in my hands back in the late nineties. I also was beginning to limp with a stiff left knee. These days I have no joint pain in my fingers, wrists or knees. I can do deep knee bends and clench tight fists first thing in the morning. At the first sign of soreness, usually one rubbing with DMSO and it's gone the next day.

I probably didn't make it clear that it will either start working right away or it's not going to help. If it doesn't help, stop using it. I'm speaking of wetting the hand and rubbing it on the sore finger or knee. Not a large amount at all.

Again, there are several links. This is one:
http://www.dmso.org/articles/information/muir.htm

Old 12-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #190
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1844 Times on 1314 Posts
Likes Given: 2079

Quote:
I kind of wondered why it isn't readily available for human use.
My wife wants to know if it works on a jackass.......lol......I've used horse linament for years on my shoulders and knees and when my elbows were giving me problems.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........