Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Senator Wicker, FTW! guns on Amtrak (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/senator-wicker-ftw-guns-amtrak-18137/)

orangello 09-16-2009 08:23 PM

Senator Wicker, FTW! guns on Amtrak

Senate passes measure to allow gun transport on Amtrak - CNN.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Senate voted Wednesday to prohibit federal funding to Amtrak unless it allows licensed gun owners to transport their weapons on the passenger trains by next year.

One senator says the measure "is going to put a severe burden" on Amtrak.

The measure, an amendment to the Transportation and Housing Appropriations bill, passed 68-30.

The House passed its version of that appropriations bill in July. It did not include a provision to allow guns on Amtrak.

The Senate measure says Amtrak would lose federal subsidies if it prohibits passengers from bringing their guns on board under restrictions similar to those imposed on airlines.

Amtrak spokesman Steve Kulm said the railroad was working on a response to the legislation.

The measure was sponsored by Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Mississippi. He introduced the same legislation in August as part of the budget resolution, and it was approved with bipartisan support, but the provision was removed during final House-Senate negotiations.

"Under current practices, all of the American domestic airlines permit firearms in their checked luggage. Other American passenger railroads also allow checked firearms," Wicker said on the Senate floor.

"Only the federally subsidized Amtrak prohibits law-abiding American citizens from exercising their Second Amendment rights in checked baggage," he said.

Sen. Patty Murray, D-Washington, was opposed to the measure.

"In order to receive any federal funding under this amendment, Amtrak would have six months to build a process for checking and tracking firearms," she said.

"It would have to find the manpower necessary to screen and guard firearms, and it would have to purchase the equipment necessary. Now, there is nothing in the underlying appropriations to pay for any of that. So this amendment is going to put a severe burden on them, and if they do not comply, Amtrak will shut down."

The measure lays out the following guidelines:

• Before checking the bag or boarding the train, the passenger must declare that the firearm or pistol is in his or her bag and is unloaded.

• The firearm or pistol must be carried in a hard-sided container.

• The hard-sided container must be locked, and only the passenger has the combination or key.

I always enjoyed travelling on Amtrak when i was younger. I will have to post a pic of Sen. Wicker's local office; a good example of proper governmental money management, it is tiny.

c3shooter 09-17-2009 01:53 AM

OK- freely admit that some days I am a touch slow, so this one has me rather puzzled.

Fail to understand what the hazard would be of me boarding a train w/ my 357 snubbie in my IWB holster. Don't think one has been hijacked and driven to Cuba recently, not flown into the World Trade Center.

Can anyone enlighten me? Or is this another answer in search of a problem?

gregs887 09-17-2009 05:06 AM

I don't really get the point of this. I have never once had a bag searched on Amtrak and I regularly travel the Coaster and Surfliner. I see this adding expense and hassle to the already dying rail industry. I guess what I'm trying to say is that how would they know you are carrying a firearm in a locked case unless you tell them now? Its late and I'm tired, dunno if I'm making any sense

cpttango30 09-17-2009 10:53 AM

It wouldn't be dying if they had something that went over 35mph. Why can't we have a TGV like France the dam thing goes 200+mph. Why can't we do that here. OK so we have the Rockies ok slow the hell down when you come to them.

Our transportation infrastructure SUCKS it sucked in the 50's and we have done very little to upgrade it since then. I have heard talk of extending the HOV lanes on 95 to Fredericksburg since before I moved to stafford. Not a single leaf or tree has been moved to get this going. In some areas it is ok but in the DC area if you took out a bridge or one part of i-95 half of eastern USA would shut the hell down.

spittinfire 09-17-2009 11:33 AM

tango, I agree. The transporation system here in the US is crap. In the Charlotte area they can't even plan roads in a sensible manor.

orangello 09-17-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 160679)
The Senate measure says Amtrak would lose federal subsidies if it prohibits passengers from bringing their guns on board under restrictions similar to those imposed on airlines.

"Under current practices, all of the American domestic airlines permit firearms in their checked luggage. Other American passenger railroads also allow checked firearms," Wicker said on the Senate floor.

"Only the federally subsidized Amtrak prohibits law-abiding American citizens from exercising their Second Amendment rights in checked baggage," he said.
[/COLOR]

Sorted out the key points to clear it up a bit.

I have not taken Amtrak LATELY, but i have been hearing about increased security checks & such. I would hazard a guess that sneaking a carry piece on with you is becoming more difficult. Sen. Wicker supported this requirement that Amtrak (like the other railroads) allow people a legitimate/legal option for transporting their firearms when traveling by rail. I think allowing concealed carry on the trains would be nice, but i doubt that will be coming anytime soon.

As far as the risks of a hijacked train, they do cross important bridges and traverse important industrial areas (some near chemical plants & such). A train with a small bomb detonated at the right time could severely eff up Memphis, TN for certain.

As far as the limited speed of U.S. rail travel, i'd rather spend 10 hours on a train than 1 on a plane to make the same trip. I think the problem originated with the type of track originally used in the U.S., something about accomodating more flexible wheel assemblies or something.

Jo da Plumbr 09-17-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 161003)
It wouldn't be dying if they had something that went over 35mph. Why can't we have a TGV like France the dam thing goes 200+mph. Why can't we do that here. OK so we have the Rockies ok slow the hell down when you come to them.

Our transportation infrastructure SUCKS it sucked in the 50's and we have done very little to upgrade it since then. I have heard talk of extending the HOV lanes on 95 to Fredericksburg since before I moved to stafford. Not a single leaf or tree has been moved to get this going. In some areas it is ok but in the DC area if you took out a bridge or one part of i-95 half of eastern USA would shut the hell down.

They had a proposal on the last election for a high speed rail line here in CA. We voted it down. This state is going under and that is what they want to spend tax dollars on?

c3shooter 09-17-2009 02:23 PM

While true that a bomb on a train could mess things up pretty badly, a bomb on a BRIDGE would mess things up even worse. And the original post was about being able to ship firearms in a locked container. If we are talking about trains, let's stay on track. :p

gregs887 09-17-2009 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 161080)
if we are talking about trains, let's stay on track. :p

Attachment 6094

notdku 09-17-2009 02:41 PM

I took an Amtrak from Texas to California last month.

I could have smuggled anything I wanted onboard. In fact I'm sure a lot of people on that train had drugs.

There was absolutely no security to go through, bag checks, nothing at all.