Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Selling Guns and Ammo Online? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/selling-guns-ammo-online-43436/)

Trez 06-04-2011 02:43 PM

Selling Guns and Ammo Online?

I was wondering how hard is it to sell guns or ammo online? I have a few "old relic" guns and some .40S&W ammo I want sell, but cant find anybody who wants them.... The relic guns are too old for any the shops ive taken them too (even the ones that specialize in antique guns!) Can I ship the guns or do I have to have a FFL? Whats the process to sell a gun online? What about a Gunbroker or other auction site?
Its only a few guns, and I wouldnt mind them "magically" turning into a IH M1 or a M1911..... ;)

c3shooter 06-04-2011 11:20 PM

Probably the top 3 gun auctions sites (there ARE others) are Gunbroker, Auction Arms, and Guns America.

Do you need to hold a FFl to ship a firearm? No (except shipping handguns into NY State) Do you need to ship TO a FFL? If crossing a state line, and it is not a pre-1899 or a muzzle loader. you need to ship TO a FFL. Up to the buyer to find one.

Shipping- Aye, there's the rub. You can ship an UNLOADED rifle o shotgun by US Mail, or by UPS or FedEx. You CANNOT mail a handgun by US Mail unless you are a FFL Dealer or Manufacturer. You CAN ship by Next Day Air Adult Sig Required on UPS or FedEx. (They require Next Day Air, and you MUST declare a firearm to a Common Carrier- that is Federal Law) Shipping a handgun this way will run you about $70. Much better to find a dealer who will mail it for you. Even paying him for his trouble AND paying for a Priority Mail Flat rate box, it should be less.

Go over to GB and AA, and look at some of the auctions. GOOD pictures, decent description, SAY in your ad that you are NOT a FFL. Start it cheap, no reserve, it will sell.

AMMO must ship UPS GROUND. MArk the package ORM-D, Catridges, Small Arms. It does not require HAZMAT process unless one shipment is 66 pounds or more. Package securely.

So now that we got THAT out of the way- whatcha got?

danf_fl 06-05-2011 12:21 AM

I may be interested.
Whats on the menu?

Trez 06-05-2011 03:27 AM

What if there pre-1899 handguns?

Most of the guns I want to sell are from one of my first posts.... Theres a few CB/CZ .22 pistols (I think thats what you guys told me) two are single shot, ones a revolver, and a couple of black powder pistols. I was thinking of getting rid of my Winchester 1895, but CA357 trying to get me to keep it....... Ill put up a list tomorrow if you guys are interested, but I really wouldnt know to ask for them thats why I was thinking the auction route....

stalkingbear 06-05-2011 04:28 AM

How much & what kind of .40 ammo do you have to sell? PM me with info please.

c3shooter 06-05-2011 10:26 AM

A pre-1899 handgun is (as far as the Feds are concerned) an Antique- not a handgun. Same applies to a loose ball and powder type IF IT DOES NOT READILY CONVERT to modern ammo. For antiques, no FFL, can send by US Mail. Beware New Jersey.

PS- your answers are in Title 18, US Code, section 922, and the US Postal Service Domestic Mail Manual, Chapter 14, Restricted Mailings, and the tarrifs (rules) of UPS published on their website.