Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Selling a Antique Handgun Online?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Default Selling a Antique Handgun Online?

Ive decided I want to sell my late 1800's J. Stevens Diamond model pistol, so I can fix my T38 Carbine (I finally understand you Mosin people, I have it just as bad for my Arisakas! )

Im kinda lost on shipping for it though, It is a antique but its chambered in .22 LR (read that they are rarer than just the .22 short ones), Does it matter any that its in a "modern" chambering?

Also any tips for selling on a auction site like gunbroker? I know one of our members tried to sell a Mosin, but the buyer ended up not wanting it because of a forced matched buttplate, (Honestly, is there any such thing as a "all original" Mosin? ) I would just like to avoid a fiasco like this...

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8310 Times on 3592 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

First, an antique firearm is defined by law. If the firearm was made PRIOR to the year 1899, it is not a firearm, but an antique firearm. As such, it falls outside the 1968 Gun Control Act. By FEDERAL law, it can be shipped directly to the buyer (State laws vary, especially NY, NJ, CA) and CAN be sent by US Mail.

For future readers- this does not mean that the MODEL of the gun was made prior to 1899, but that the specific gun in question was made before 1899.

Other antique firearms include those that can only be loaded with loose ball and powder (muzzle loader, ball and cap, etc) no matter how old.

Modern REPRODUCTIONS of antique cartridge arms are not antiques if they are made in a cartridge that is available in normal business and trade.

Regarding your auction- GOOD pictures, GOOD descriptions. The guy complaining about a M-N buttplate sounds like a PITA. But do not surprise bidders. Collectors of antiques generally have different expectations than someone looking to buy their first rifle. Show the warts- good photos, good detail, lighting, in focus.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

.......well covered.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #4

Liked 695 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Many of that model were made after 1898. And as far as I know no one can date them with any accuracy.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.