Self Defense Shooting in Kansas

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Self Defense Shooting in Kansas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default Self Defense Shooting in Kansas

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/07/wanted-fugitive-fatally-shot-by-gun-toting-kansas-farmer-he-wanted-to-protect-his-family/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 572 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 176

Based on how the article is written, sounds to me like the farmer is going to get away with murder. Just saying "I'm going to kill you" does not just justisfy taking a human life...I don't care who that human is. Again, based on just the information in the article, this whole thing just stinks and it's another example of an irresponsible armed citizen striving to win the "that guy award" of the year.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 03-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3147 Times on 1816 Posts
Likes Given: 2002

If you only read the article, you didn't hear the entire story. According to the police spokesman, the fugitive charged the man after he said he was going to call the police. According to the report, farmer's son was with him at the time and the man said he also feared for his son's life.

I feel the property owner was justified and I'd have taken the same action in his position.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Rack another one up for the good guys!

Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
If you only read the article, you didn't hear the entire story. According to the police spokesman, the fugitive charged the man after he said he was going to call the police. According to the report, farmer's son was with him at the time and the man said he also feared for his son's life.

I feel the property owner was justified and I'd have taken the same action in his position.
Being the skeptic I am, the farmers story still smells. I wouldn't expect the farmer's story to be any different. There are no other witnesses, except the son, what else is he going to say..."I had no choice". Maybe, maybe not? I don't believe him, at least not with the information that is being made public.

NRA Member

Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well no doubt the LEO's know a little more about this than we do. They aren't charging him with a crime and I'm sure it's with good reason.

A little more on the story:

Quote:
A local newspaper reported that after looking for Lamasters for three house, the authorities suspended their search. Two hours later, around 5 o’clock, a farmer, who was out burning hedgerow, noticed a man wandering the area.
The farmer, who was armed with a shotgun, confronted the man, told him he was calling the cops and pointed the gun at him, but the man took off running. The farmer told authorities that since he didn’t feel threatened he just let the man run away.
But then the farmer said he realized that the individual was heading in the direction of a relative’s house and that it was around a time when a woman might’ve been alone inside of it, so he grabbed his 17-year-old son and they headed over there.
They arrived around 5:30 p.m and searched the yard, but didn’t find anything — no one was even home — so they started checking the other buildings on the property.
In one of those buildings, Lamasters is said to have jumped out from behind a pile of feed sacks, rushed the farmer and said he was going to kill him, so the farmer opened fire. Lamasters died right there in the shed and, as it turns out, he was unarmed.
While the Sheriff said that he believes the farmer’s story and that he will not press charges, he still had to turn the case over to the district attorney for review. Despite the case undergoing further investigation, it doesn’t look like the farmer will face any legal challenges.
“Based on the scene and a witness and the history of the gentleman, we don’t feel this was anything more than self-defense,” Chambers told The Wichita Eagle.
“I hate to see him in this position, but he did what he felt like he had to do,” Chambers said. “He wanted to protect his family.”

Last edited by rocshaman; 03-09-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1104 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 242

He was an escaped felon from Iowa. He got taged at a toll booth (when did toll booths start asking for id? ) and escaped on foot, abandoning his vehicle.

He is reported to have threatened the homeowner and his family.

If this is not justifiable homicide I don't know what would be.

Another thug gone from the planet, seems like a good outcome all around. Too bad Iowa could not hold on to their problem child's so a family in another state had to do their business for them. All's well that ends well I guess. Glad the farm family, property owners, good citizens, are ok, that is the main thing.

If this puts a dent in the Iowa drug dealers, pimps, gun runners, stolen property crowd, I am sure some boys detention center will turn loose someone to take his place in the underground society. It never ends, only the faces change from time to time.

My wife was kidnapped by two escaped men from a police stop. They ran into the night into farm ground to avoid arrest They came across my wife still in her car, coming home from work. They had her drive them into town and released her. She could have been killed.

Last edited by AR10; 03-09-2013 at 01:06 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

According the account rocshama posted, the farmer went looking for the guy. That's not self defense. If the bg has a family, this farmer just lost the farm.

NRA Member

Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
According the account rocshama posted, the farmer went looking for the guy. That's not self defense. If the bg has a family, this farmer just lost the farm.
That's not what it said. The guy was headed straight to the farmer's reatives house, a single woman unaware of what was going on. He went there to protect her and found the guy there. The thug then attacked the farmer and lost his life doing it.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #10

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
I dont know how you sconies have worded your defense laws, but our KFPA reads as such- one may use deadly force if they are in fear of great bodily harm or death.

That's what justifies lethal force. Any idiot willing to charge a man with a gun, isnt going to hug and tickle fight when he reaches that man.

There's a rational fear that the attacker is going to injure you.

Also, any incident found to be justifiable homicide in Ks, the shooter will not be brought up on criminal charges, nor can they have a civil suit brought against them..

Our lawmakers are very much on our side.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 03-09-2013 at 03:05 PM.