Self defense long gun - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Self defense long gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #81
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6333 Times on 3354 Posts
Likes Given: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I have decided (I think) that my next purchase should be a long gun dedicated to self defense. Now, I don't feel under-armed, but I don't HAVE a long gun whose primary function is self defense (well, okay, I have a couple of what used to be call "riot guns", but let's pretend they don't exist. I'm looking for an excuse to buy a new gun).

I really don't want an AR in .223. If it's a rifle, I'd like it to be in a larger caliber (yes, I know the reasons one should get a .223. I'm ignoring them), and am considering a MIA, but am open to other suggestions. The exception to not wanting a .223 would be a mini-14, as I have a bunch of hi-cap mags for one.

However, I am also interested in the Saiga 12, but have read conflicting reviews. Anyone with actual experience with one?

I'd also even consider a (yep, y'all know it) an M-1 Garand, as I have a bunch of clips for it also.

So . . . let's try to keep the price under about $1200. What would you recommend?
You have a bunch of magazines over 30 rounds for the mini?? I didnt know anyone made 35 or 40 rounders for it

I would suggest a scar17. It is a bit over your limit. What do you have against the ar15??

Ive got some experience with the saiga. They can be iffy to get running and tend to have issues with birdshot type loadings. Once you get one going they work well. They are very very heavy for what they are and they are horrible for anything but 3 gun competition and even then not the gun i would pick

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 04-11-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:49 AM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6912 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 6652

For a house gun it's damn hard to bear a Benelli M-4

I don't like "indoor" rifles, but if that's what you want look at the FNAR in .308 with 16 inch barrel.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #83

Liked 1145 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
A .308 featherweight Model 70 is on my short list.

I've never heard anyone complain about having a Model 70 in their collection.

You can even get a Super Grade at the price point.

There were no specifics given as to what ranges you needed some protection at.

I wouldn't mind having one, even though I'm pretty well covered in that category.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #84

Liked 2215 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
You have a bunch of magazines over 30 rounds for the mini?? I didnt know anyone made 35 or 40 rounders for it

I would suggest a scar17. It is a bit over your limit. What do you have against the ar15??
He probably shot a 22 wmr on a windy day. Then he shot a 5.56 and discovered at 200 yards the wind had blown both rounds into the next county.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #85

Liked 303 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
so with all this new technology these days, you are saying all the guns being made today are better than a pre-64 Winchester?
The Winchester 1873 is the gun that won the west away from the American Indians. It is the first true "assault rifle" even though this term was not coined until 70 years later by Adolf H. in Germany.

And the 1873 and its more recent cousins would work just as well today as it did then for skirmishes.

The modern AR's, AK's and Mini's being derived from the German StG's, are just that much faster to shoot during CQB actions. But the groundwork was laid by the Winchester.

I don't have a Winchester but I have fired one. You really need a leather glove to operate the lever action unless you want to blister your hand if doing so a lot.

If I were a collector, I would definitely want a Winchester. But my Ruger Mini 14 serves the modern purpose of a Winchester for me -- intermediate range self defense and offense. Just as the modern 45ACP serves the modern purpose formerly served by the Colt 45 Peacemaker.

Last edited by Shoobee; 04-12-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 04-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #86

Liked 751 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
The Winchester 1873 is the gun that won the west away from the American Indians. It is the first true "assault rifle" even though this term was not coined until 70 years later by Adolf H. in Germany.

And the 1873 and its more recent cousins would work just as well today as it did then for skirmishes.

The modern AR's, AK's and Mini's being derived from the German StG's, are just that much faster to shoot during CQB actions. But the groundwork was laid by the Winchester.

I don't have a Winchester but I have fired one. You really need a leather glove to operate the lever action unless you want to blister your hand if doing so a lot.

If I were a collector, I would definitely want a Winchester. But my Ruger Mini 14 serves the modern purpose of a Winchester for me -- intermediate range self defense and offense. Just as the modern 45ACP serves the modern purpose formerly served by the Colt 45 Peacemaker.
You really have no clue what you are talking about. The mini-14 and Ar have nothing in common with an STG 44.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 605

FN P90. Might give em a look. It's probably less thump than what you were looking for and it runs pretty close to your top end price range but it is a decent mid range carbine round.

Hey..... what's the red button do?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 804 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMercer View Post
FN P90. Might give em a look. It's probably less thump than what you were looking for and it runs pretty close to your top end price range but it is a decent mid range carbine round.

Plus you have 50 shots to hit your target lol

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:53 AM   #89
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3373 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

If your not getting a Mini-14(Jon,..I have 5-40 Rounders for mine, but they are hard to find,.) They are Making the M-1 Carbine in 9MM now,..
Im still of the belief that a Mini will do you Just Fine TX....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...