Seatbelts - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Seatbelts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

On a serious note, a few weeks ago, a friends 23 year old child died in an accident. Three in the vehicle. Two were belted. One fatality. The survivors have bruises from seat belts and airbags. This happened on an interstate.
I can't begin to imagine what my friend and his family are going through.
The only excuse for not wearing a belt I can conceivably come up with is for a few weeks after chest surgery.
Wear your d***** belt!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #32

Liked 2763 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 2660

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you own a vehicle with airbags you better fasten that belt. Airbags are punishment for not wearing your seatbelt.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #33

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
They skipped the part where he couldn't get out of the burning vehicle because the seatbelt was locked up. Lol
As a former LEO and a volunteer fireman for over 20 years I have never seen a seatbelt lock up. I did get a call once from a single mother of an autistic boy that was stuck in his belt because he jammed a penny in the belt then buckled it.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #34
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i drove a wrecker for many years and worked a lot of accidents and several fatal ones as well. i have seen and heard of people being killed when ejected from a vehicle. i believe that seatbelts account for my lives saved than lost. nothing is going to ever be able to gaurantee you 100% effectiveness at saving your life, not seatbelts, air bags, ABS, or the most sophisticated electronics that help one avoid an accident.

IMO, seatbelts should be worn. just like motorcycle helmets. i always have used both. just really don't like someone telling me it's the law and i have to, or they can fine me for not doing so. it should still be a freedom of choice.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 89 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you own a vehicle with airbags you better fasten that belt. Airbags are punishment for not wearing your seatbelt.
Been there and done that also with no injuries. It should be everyone's own choice whether or not to wear a seatbelt or a motorcycle helmet, IMO.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #36

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
I hate wearing seatbelts. I dont even wear one when i drive a big truck. Chances are if i have a major accident in an 18 wheeler itll roll over....ever seen pics from a big rig rollover? When your entire rig desintegrates a seatbelt wont help.

Ive never liked wearing them and probably never will. Ive been in accidents with them on and off.
I'm really torn. I have always been against the government telling me I had to wear a seatbelt. My LEO experiences aside and if there was no law. I would not have worn them. I would have after the law changed because I wouldn't have wanted to fork out the money. So I do see it as a good thing but its just one more step in government control. While I was working I still wore my seatbelt even though I was exempt. Sometimes I felt trapped sitting in my cruiser with my computer and console right at my side plus my vest on and a seatbelt. Summertime was a bitch. Between the ejections, the dash eaters oh and don't forget the broken jaws from airbags I'd rather wear it.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #37

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrebel70

Been there and done that also with no injuries. It should be everyone's own choice whether or not to wear a seatbelt or a motorcycle helmet, IMO.
I use to thank it should be your choice to ware one or not. That was until I got on the fire dep. and was called to a wreck that changed my opinion instantly.

A 6 year old boy was in the back seat. His dad was driving and was not waring his seatbelt. Had a blowout on the interstate. Flipped violently in the ditch. The mans head hit his sons head killing them both.

A 200 lb body flying around the cab dangerous also.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #38

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrebel70 View Post

Well damn, I sit here now wondering just how many vehicles you've wrecked. If you can keep demolishing them without taking any kind of safety precautions, then you just keep right on trucking. I'd hate to be the one providing your insurance. You seem to have a personal experience with every kind of accident involving safety equipment, or lack thereof.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #39
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrebel70 View Post
I have also been in a head on collision in a '96 Dodge Ram, wasn't wearing my seatbelt then either and walked away with no injuries. The wreck did over $12,000 worth of damage to the truck and the other driver had no insurance and was drunk, don't you just love it.
$12,000 worth of damage sounds like a lot of damage for a 1996 Dodge Ram.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 89 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

Well damn, I sit here now wondering just how many vehicles you've wrecked. If you can keep demolishing them without taking any kind of safety precautions, then you just keep right on trucking. I'd hate to be the one providing your insurance. You seem to have a personal experience with every kind of accident involving safety equipment, or lack thereof.
I have been in 6 accidents and was only hurt in the one where I dislocated my hip. That was also the only vehicle that was totaled. All of my wrecks were when I was younger and now have none on my driving record but I did as one time have an insurance company drop me. Oh yeah, of the 6 wrecks,3 were my fault and 3 weren't.