Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > In search of the perfect melon......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
While the watermelon is still on the vine, I place a jar of vodka under the vine right where it meets the melon. Then I pierce the vine with a needle, and work a small hole in it. It takes a while, but I work a thick piece of yarn through the vine, and let both ends dangle in the jar of vodka. In about two days, the watermelon is damn good.
Now Trip, some yankee is gonna believe you, and then we will hear about drunken children roaming the fields at night.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #22

Liked 4553 Times on 2201 Posts
Likes Given: 1361

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
The last bad watermelon I had I left out for the raccoons. Even they didn't eat it. And I know they came around because I leave a bowl of food and a pan of water out for them and they were into the food and water. They totally ignored the watermelon.
You intentionally feed raccoons? Winds...come on, your a gun gal now and we shoot those darn critters.

Tack

Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1984

Default Dead end.........

Maybe among the good people of fTf can help me out. Due to my stupidity I let my hierloom musk melon [ french melon ] go to the way side..... If you know of any one growing these melons post it here......The last good ones I grew weighed in at 18 # plus and were awsome when it came to sugar content and taste........Ps I tried the web and there's no responce....
Thanks...... in advance......Wills......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 06-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #24

Liked 2350 Times on 1528 Posts

Try Jung or gurneys catalog, or mother earth news, countryside, or grit magazine. Seed savers exchange.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 06-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #25
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8052

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Maybe among the good people of fTf can help me out. Due to my stupidity I let my hierloom musk melon [ french melon ] go to the way side..... If you know of any one growing these melons post it here......The last good ones I grew weighed in at 18 # plus and were awsome when it came to sugar content and taste........Ps I tried the web and there's no responce....
Thanks...... in advance......Wills......
I hope this helps, my friend.

http://www.burpee.com/heirloom-seeds-and-plants/heirloom-melons/melon-charentais-prod001943.html?catId=2161&trail=

http://www.heritageharvestseed.com/muskmelon.html#cershownski

http://www.google.com/#q=french+melon+seeds&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ &tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=irPQT-roH-SK2wWjmtDfDA&sqi=2&ved=0CKkBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc. r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=764c353736efa817&biw=1280&bih =722

http://sustainableseedco.com/Charentais-Melon-Seed.html

Old 06-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #26

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
You intentionally feed raccoons? Winds...come on, your a gun gal now and we shoot those darn critters.

Tack
Sure wasn't intentional, but the last time I put in a garden, the coons ate 'high on the hog'. Word got out & they musta come from miles around. I'd ease the back door open & turn on a back light & we'd see as many as 8 pairs of eyes!

Got every last water melon I had! The little stinkers would make a small hole in it, empty the melon through that little hole, then roll it over so the hole was hidden! First one I saw. I was wondering why the yellow spot was showing. When I got to it, found out it was hollow. They didn't wait until they were ripe & I didn't get a single one!

Old 06-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #27
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
Sure wasn't intentional, but the last time I put in a garden, the coons ate 'high on the hog'. Word got out & they musta come from miles around. I'd ease the back door open & turn on a back light & we'd see as many as 8 pairs of eyes!

Got every last water melon I had! The little stinkers would make a small hole in it, empty the melon through that little hole, then roll it over so the hole was hidden! First one I saw. I was wondering why the yellow spot was showing. When I got to it, found out it was hollow. They didn't wait until they were ripe & I didn't get a single one!
Maybe we could swap raccoon herds. Mine won't touch watermelon. LOL

Old 06-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1984

Default Nite Raiders........

To keep coons out of your mellon patch you need to plant corn in an area away from the melons. Coons can't resist the taste of fresh corn on the cob and will walk miles to get it. Now here we have them big 40 pound rats [ nutria] that tear into the melons if planted next to the bayous.....Leg traps works wonders, also the one eyed dog and a 22 with hollow points......I'll let you all know if I come across the same heirloom mellons I use to plant. The seeds were brought back from france, and were not hybrids.....The taste was not like cantelope and had a large seed cavity, more like an elogated pumkin......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 06-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #29
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I have been pretty lucky so far picking good watermelons. DELICIOUS!!