Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Scooters!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default WX

I rode many miles in all kinds of weather. The last must have been the brand of tires as it seemed the back wheel slid or back wobbled when I touched the brake in the rain. I seen a car pull out one time and cut me off changing lanes. Not sure if on purpose and I did get slowed down. I rode on some poker runs and that was fun if you like bars. Just order a soft drink. When I got my Wing I joined the CMA and a man said, when it rains=don't ride the center lane because the cars drip oil and the rain makes it slick. Don't ride in the groove as water collects their. Ride closer to the center line. Wax the wind screen. Rain at night beads up really bad and head lights look like a million little lights. Some times you had to raise up and look over it. Never did find a way to keep feet completely dry. Also we have a lot of bridges here with steel grates. Little bikes felt it more than big ones but it can make it feel like it was swinging. The Mackinac bridge in a strong cross wind rain is no fun. Actually they now close it when it is too bag. Remember that YUGO that went over the side? I thought about doubling my wifes insurance and sending her across it with ours. Go ahead and laugh, I paid $500 and put over 40K miles on it. Just don't touch the brakes in the snow! Bob

Old 08-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #22

I use a poncho set I got from walmart, just cheap pvc. Jacket and pants, doesn't breathe for crap but keeps the rain out and keeps me warm (if not hot). I need to tape over the "pocket" flaps, as they let some water in. I've managed to get plastic grocery bags, tied as high as possible up the leg, and the pantlegs zipped overtop the bag, to work fairly well, but not had any serious time testing that, it was a one-time event that lasted maybe 15 minutes, maybe ten or so miles at most.

I NEVER use my rear brake unless I'm holding on a hill. I've had it slide on me, when I went through a three-foot puddle in a parking lot doing like maybe fifteen miles an hour. I didn't realize I had any pressure on the pedal, and have since made darned sure to NEVER have my right foot on anything other than the ball, unless I'm holding on a hill. I'd much rather have to get a little harder on my fronts and engine-brake the rear. When the weight shifts to the front, the rear is easier to lock up and cause a controllable situation to go bad fast.

Waterproof footwear helps with keeping the toes dry as well.

If you've had one time being cut off, consider yourself lucky... there for a while it was a weekly / bi-weekly occurence.

When it rains, the very start is the worst, as the road slicks from all the oil and such that collects. After the rain has been falling for a bit, it'll wash off, but til then be ubercareful. I usually ride in the left-hand position within the lane. Center is to be avoided in inclement weather, as cars do drip oil and other slickery substances.

I've never had problems with my windscreen (because it's so small that I can only see through it if I'm literally laying on my tank, and even then it's optically distorted... danged 250). My visor does bubble up, but like in a car I only have trouble if I"m being hi-beamed or in orange street lights. I've noticed that the water beads off quickly if I turn my head to one side or another.

Ride Safe

Old 08-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I wish I had a motorcycle, I actually almost bought a 96' Honda Shadow 750cc a couple of weeks ago. I've never riden a motorcycle before, I rode a scooter once but that was it. I drive an 88' Ford F-150 with a 351 V-8, it gets about 13 miles per gallon cause it has no overdrive in tranny. Wish I had a cycle to ride to work.
If you lived in NY I'd give you one. I have an old 1978 Yamaha XS400 and 1979 Honda CB750C. They both run, in fact the Honda engine has less than 100 miles on it since it was rebuilt 5 years ago. The Honda needs carb work and the Yamaha has a rust hole in one exhaust pipe near the head flange. I'm done with old bikes.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-10-2008, 04:56 AM   #24

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I know which one I am getting if I ever get a chance to get one.

2009 Suzuki DR-Z400SM

Old 08-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I know which one I am getting if I ever get a chance to get one.

2009 Suzuki DR-Z400SM
If that gets a slipper clutch, it'd be worth the pain and expense just to find an abandoned parking lot and practice backing it in.

If I get a good deal on a Supermoto that will be able to be daily-ridden like a Sportbike, imma jump all over it. It'd be a heck of a lot more fun for me than a Supersport. I'd fall behind my crotch-rocket buddies on some of the longer straights, but I'd smoke 'em bad in the twisties.

Backing it in would just make it look cooler (provided I didn't highside..)

I'd kinda love to see a 4-cyl 400cc "sportbike" with all the goodies hit the market. It'd sell like crazy, cause all the people who realize that the 600s have too much power and all the people on litrebikes, missing thier midweights, would wanna go for the 400s and cut up.

I Love my twisties... Shady Valley, TN, is in my opinion, God's greatest geographical gift to me. I've been to Pike's Peak, but it's not nearly as fun as the Playgrounds

CptTango, that Suzi looks sharp...

Newest Threads