Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Scooters!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I spent 4 years with no car, only a cycle. You can carry quite a bit on a bike when you have no choice. As long as the load is well secured you should not have too much of an issue with instability. You will likely carry less weight than a passenger would add and the weight will be lower than a person seated behind you. Just remember to take it easy on the twisties until you get a feel for the handling with the extra weight.

46 MPG, gotta love it.

With fuel prices near $4/gallon, I see alot more MC's on the road these days. Lucky for me, I still have a County car for the commute to work or I would be riding every day, rain or shine.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Yeah, I wondered if it would be legal to go get my AR-15 from the gunstore and ride 30 miles down the interstate with the rifle slung across my back. LOL

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

DFENS speeks wisdom bigtime.

I knew a few guys in the army that as soon as they got their first paycheck went out and bought the biggest baddest bike out there The Hayabusa within 4 days they were in the ER missing about 5+# of skin and flesh. Some even died becuase they went out and bought a bike when they had barly rode a bicycle let alone a 1000cc crotch rocket.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
DFENS speeks wisdom bigtime.

I knew a few guys in the army that as soon as they got their first paycheck went out and bought the biggest baddest bike out there The Hayabusa within 4 days they were in the ER missing about 5+# of skin and flesh. Some even died becuase they went out and bought a bike when they had barly rode a bicycle let alone a 1000cc crotch rocket.
Anytime I hear of someone with money getting a "first bike" I shudder with the thoughts, "Please not a 'Busa..."

Seriously. If anyone here hears of someone looking for a first motorcycle, PLEASE try to get them to go to a forum on bikes and ask opinions on what they oughta do. If any community suggests that the 'Busa, or ANY "modern" sportbike, is acceptable to learn on, I'll eat dirt. The power of those things is so freaking astounding, and the skills needed to handle such power aren't there until one has had many miles to credit.

The 'Busa, as well as the ZX14, are both right at 1350cc (for the newer years). Both have greater than a supercar power/weight ratio. Not positive on the numbers, but I know it's at least 170 rated, not counting at-speed ram-air increases.

Take someone who's never driven a car, strap him/her into a top-fuel dragster. Or a Lamborghini.

Bike Newbies, please don't go for the toys. Get something realistic to learn on. I've got over 10k miles under my belt, almost a year's riding in all forms of weather, and I'm STILL not ready for a racer-rep bike like any of the bikes with "R" in the name.

I'll likely be riding year-round for the next few years, unless gas and insurance rates drop to half what they currently are. Likely to be on my lil 250 still, unless I find a good deal on a 3 or 4 cyl. Even then, I'll not be one of those danged fools who goes zipping up the road in shorts and tank top, or, God forbid, no helmet (SC apparently doesn't care about bikers dying...)

There's a term, SQUID; stupidly-quick, underdressed, imminently dead. Find someone with some bad road rash... I saw a guy at the bike shop one time, both arms, legs, and I'm guessing his hips and torso, were covered in patches, about three to four inches wide, running from three to seven/eight inches long, of road rash.

I had a spot, less than a square inch, on my knee and decided that it was too much pain to be less-sweaty in the heat or "look bad". And I rather enjoy being able to breath.

Ok, enough of my soapbox. Time for happy fun time...

Old 08-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #15

No arguement here.

I bought the bike last year at the same time I bought one for husband. Husband has many years and many bikes under his belt. I am the newbie.

I got a chuckle over the "squid" term. I just finished up a training class for new riders, and I had a sense of who would be road pizza. One young kid in particular who grumped because "he already knew all this" and "the helmet is hot". He bought himself one of those japanese racing bikes in bright yellow....

I also frequently see teenagers racing down our windy country road (which has potholes, sharp turns and poor visibility) and they are exceeding speed limit, not wearing shirts or helmets. In fact one kid last week had only shorts on--nothing else--not even shoes.

I am not interested in being an organ donor by recklessness, so I will continue to putt putt on my little honda rebel I might get hit one day, but it won't be because I am exceeding my skill sets...........

Old 08-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #16

"The 'Busa, as well as the ZX14, are both right at 1350cc (for the newer years). Both have greater than a supercar power/weight ratio. Not positive on the numbers, but I know it's at least 170 rated, not counting at-speed ram-air increases."
Anything designed to go fast is a bad first bike. Anything that has "R" in the model name is trouble for a first. Aside from the power and torque, spending a significant amount of money on an "R" bike for a first timer means down the road paying for repairs after it gets dumped. Even a low speed flop due to a small error causes so much damage to plastics it's not worth it to learn on one.
On the 'Busa note, I will never ride one again. I had a hopped up R6 which was plenty fast enough, but my buddy wanted me to try out his 'Busa. He's about 10 years older than me and a much more accomplished rider, not to mention about 260 lbs. to my 165. Anyhow, I figured I'd keep it geared a little high for speed to stay out of the torque range. Nope. Third gear at 50 mph and the front wheel still would not stay down. Needless to say, this bike was pretty hot putting out in excess of 210 at the rear wheel. Boys and their toys.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 08-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #17

Default rockets

I never rode a crotch rocket. I did own a Norton Atlas 750, BMW 600, and my Gold Wing. I bought the basic Wing and added a shield bags and trunk. It was light and surprisingly quick. Had 88K on it when the lady backed out in front of me. I was going probably less than 25. I decided not to go thru the side of her van. But did not miss. My chest and right saddle bag was first contact. I landed on all fours and stood up and watched her continue to back over it. Then she blasted the horn and drove back into the driveway. Got out to see what happened. My leg could have been hooked to her bumper. Things started going down hill in a few day's. We are a no fault insurance state so no help coming. Only on a bike maybe twice after that as a stroke flared up and I needed help standing and walking. Good that I had a helmet.
we have a kid across the pond that rides a four wheeler down the street with no protection. Maybe 15 and rides like over 50mph down the country road. I am pretty sure he can get a ticket. When he comes across the neighbors yard he flies way up in the air. It sounds hopped up. Also I never rode a snow mobile. I get cold just looking at one. We did go camping a lot in the U.P. and Canada. Bought a trailer for our gear. Got to be too much and balance became a problem. I went to a boat load of garage sales and auctions. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I tied onto the seat. Enjoy your bikes and watch the nuts behind the wheels.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

If you are interested in geting a cycle, look into a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course. Here in TX, the courses are two days long and they even provide the bike. You show up with appropriatre clothing and a helmet and learn. You will learn A LOT!

I have been to the intermediate,advanced and an instructors course. I have attended 120 hours of training in 3, week long courses. I have been riding for 29 years and have had a couple of minor mishaps (young, dumb on a crotch rocket) but have gotten out of many more close calls because of my training and experience.

Get a bike in a reasonable power range and LEARN for a year (or two) before stepping up to a FAST bike. Most of the cruisers are reasonable both in price and power level while still being "cool". Even the 600 cc sportbikes have very high power to weight ratios and can get you killed quickly. My stepson has a Yamaha R-6S. It is quick and fun but does not have the eyeball peeling power of the regular R-6 with the titanium valves and race ready set up.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:02 AM   #19

The guy I got my 250 from is replacing the fairings on his CBR600RR for the second time. First, a dog ran in front of him; second time, he high-sided because he was on a bad rear tire. I'd say that he's put more money into plastics than I have in my CAR AND BIKE. Moral of the story - pretties are esspensive.

The four-wheeler kid most likely can get a ticket, as I doubt they are street-legal. Good luck getting a cop to do anything about it though... if it's in what I consider a "country" area, then 4-wheelers are the norm.

*slaps head* IDK how I could have forgotten to mention the MSF course.

Round here, it's a weekend-long class, about 20 hrs spread over Fri, Sat, and Sunday. The ones I've looked into supply everything - you just show up on time and bring a lunch. Class time and on-bike time. Definitely a very very good idea for someone looking to get into motorcycling - and the MSF usually lowers insurance rates as well. Also, in TN, if you pass the MSF course and have your driver's license, all you ahve to do is take the certificate or whatever to the driver's license office and they'll add the motorcycle endorsement.

<_<
>_>
Ya know.... 250 Ninja is great to learn on, because you can sell it for what you paid, most of the time, if you take good care of it. Seriously. They run anywhere from 1000 to 2500 used, maybe more for the 08 (redesigned - and freaking HAWT model).

I can't count the times I've had to swerve suddenly to avoid some frigger intent on running me over. A good line to remember is "Ride like 50% of other drivers can't see you, and the other 50% are trying to run you over."

Because it's about true.

Cruisers seem to be good learners, but I'd def avoid any 600cc bike, unless it's more than a few years old. My pals' Gixxer and CBR are downright frightening. The throttle response alone is enough to make me wet myself...

-----

In other thoughts, there's a sense of bliss that just doesn't come from anything else, imo. A warm evening, maybe around the low to mid 80s, just cruising around some country backroad, surrounded by rolling hills and fields and the occasional group of trees. Passing over the occasional stream or river. Feeling the temperature vary as your surroundings do. Sensing the change in smell as you go from a fielded area to forested.

Being on a bike itself is a happy-funtime-buzz in its own right (I hear that endorphins and other brain chemicals are the culprit for such). Being on a bike while tackling a nice, curvy road with some beautiful scenery, going nowhere at a casual pace, is IMO a bit of heaven on earth.

Seriously... my bike has become such an addiction to me, if I go a day without riding, the next day I get cranky and grumpy until I've ridden somewhere, even if just to the store and back to let the engine warm up. The bad times are kinda lame, wet weather, cold weather, cold wet weather... but the good times make it so worth it.

I apologize if my ramblings have been an annoyance to anyone. I blame the sunset today, it was rather amazing and has had me in a very sentimental mood since.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #20

Been playing the motorcycle game longer than the gun game about 40 years now mostly imports. I just sold my 2000 Harley Electra Glide last Monday and I am looking for a new ride more in the sport touring. Had the Harley for 5 years and put 4400 miles on it. I did a little motor work, cam, pipe and ignition but it still was not as smooth or as fast as your average import. (A Cadillac compared to a Ferrari) I am looking at the Yamaha FJR or Kawasaki Concours as my 1 and 2 choices. I have also looked at the Busa with a touring package they do make a great cross-country tour bike with a few mods.

Some of the ATV rifle carriers will mount to the front fork of a lot of bikes dirt or street. Padded inside and all. Tank bags will hold a lot and so will throw over saddlebags. I carried 6 handguns and accessories from Seattle to Spokane, Washington in a Tank bag and no one knew, even got pulled over for speeding.(just got a warning)

Remember the trick is you ride as if everyone is out to kill you weather they intended to or not!

Stay safe and keep the wheels down!

Have a good one!

Remember:
Plan for the worst, Hope for the best and if you land on your feet running life is good!!!