Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Scooters!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scooters!

Inline, Vee, Boxer, two, three, four, six... so many engine configurations, but one similarity, two wheels.

Anyone else around here ride motorcycles? Sport, Cruiser, Touring, combination of the above?

Myself, I ride a 250 Ninja (because I'm a poor, cheap louse). It's my daily rider (whether the weather is good or bad) as well as my canyon-crusader.

If there's anyone in the area who rides, I'll be hitting Shady Valley today (Tuesday) around 5pm local time, provided there's not too much THP presence there. Will likely be with a friend on his red 600 Gixxer.

So, yeah, my thoughts aren't really in any kind of order, but please, post yours on the subject of Motorcycles. I know this is a gun forum, but this iiiis the off topic area, and I see no reason why the two subjects cannot be merged into one. Hey, maybe the Olympics could combine bmx and shooting...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #2

well not really off topic because this occured to me the other day: if I wanted to ride the bike to the club, is there any way to strap on the shotgun and range bag?

Please don't laugh, I just bought my bike last year, and this is something I wondered about. Do they make scabbards for motorcycles like they do horses, and if so, are they safe?
Would a range bag be easy to tote on the back?

Old 08-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I rode my harley with a rifle slung over my shoulder before, got alot of looks but no problems LOL
Had a friend give me a gas mask once he didnt want and for kicks I put it on and rode home, didnt get half way thru town till I had several cops pulling me over LOL said i was making people paranoid and ask me to take it off

Old 08-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Scooters and Mopeds.....they're like fat women - fun to ride, but you don't want your friends to see you on them....

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #5

Default bikes

My first cycle was a 125CC trail and I bought a gun holder made for it. Just strapped the case to the rack mounted on the front fork. I moved clear up to a Gold Wing that I rode for years. Lots of camping in Canada and the U.P. Then one day a lady backed out in front of me. End of riding. Enjoy your bike and you could probably bungee cord a case to the seat. I wouldn't let it out of your sight.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Scooters and Mopeds.....they're like fat women - fun to ride, but you don't want your friends to see you on them....
I don't know about that. I had a Suzuki 50cc moped FA50 when I was a kid. Boy that sucker took some abuse. I would go as fast as I could (20mph maybe) and jump it over the driveway and all sorts of stuff it lasted for about 4 years before I jumped it one too many times and the back wheel fell off and shot me over the handel bars. All my friends at the time thought I was so cool to have my own moped. granted we were 7 years old.

My commute is 3 miles to work. I have thought about getting a 2 seat scooter for me and my son (I will be working at his school) in the good weather. 75mpg sure beats 30 mpg.

After that I had a purple Yamaha 100cc bike that ended up beat up as well and I had to push start it as the gears in teh kick starter broke. Then I had a street legal Kawaski Bayou 440 ATV. At one point I had 15 motorcycles 3 cars and 2 ATV (All were 20+ years old). Then I stepped up to a Suzuki 250 with a 1000cc Honda Hurricaine Alcohol burnning NOS feed ATV that was so fast is really was scarry to ride. Then I sold that and bought a Kawaski 440 jetski with a NOS feed 660 motor that was not fun to ride at all. Hit the NOS once and the darn thing took off and flipped in the air tossing me off in the lake.

Last edited by cpttango30; 08-05-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #7

>>> Enjoy your bike and you could probably bungee cord a case to the seat. I wouldn't let it out of your sight<<<<

Oh most definitely my gun stuff (and my bike for that matter) will not be unattended. Its about 20 minutes to the club---so straight from the house to the club parking lot where I cart the gun etc into the clubhouse.

My gun stuff does not go for a walk by itself

Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

V-Star 1100. My third MC, not counting the two that were issued to me. A friend introduced me to an interesting way to transport an AK underfolder. A tennis racket case. It works perfectly. Anything bigger will draw attention, unwanted attention.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 AM   #9

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I wish I had a motorcycle, I actually almost bought a 96' Honda Shadow 750cc a couple of weeks ago. I've never riden a motorcycle before, I rode a scooter once but that was it. I drive an 88' Ford F-150 with a 351 V-8, it gets about 13 miles per gallon cause it has no overdrive in tranny. Wish I had a cycle to ride to work.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #10

My lil 250 ninjette gets about 50 mpg, but I think I need to have the valves/carb adjusted. I've gotten over sixty outta it before. It's also, imo, the best bike to learn on.

I did a slow lap in the local twisties on a friends 600 Gixxer today... wow. I've laid the 250 down three times since last september, but if I had a 600 as my first bike... well, I'd be riding around those big switchbacks in the sky.

As far as being physically possible to carry stuff, with enough bungee cords and masking tape, anything is possible. I went from TN to NY last fall, 1500 mile round-trip, on my ninja. Had a backpack loaded with clothes, external hard-drive, a book, as well as a tank bag loaded with various stuff, and a motorcycle cover in its case. I also had a pillow. It all fit - backpack was bungee'd to back seat, tankbag had the cover taped to it, and I was sandwiched somewhere in between.

I just don't know about the legality (I'd asked this question earlier, I'll call the locals before I do any travelling w/ the guns, although its looking to be a ways off before I can afford to buy anything..)

So yeah, good luck with it. If you strap anything on the bike, kinda do a bump test and (if the bike has much lean to it) lean test to see if it's securely fastened. If you can shake it off, better make more effort into tying it on.

(750cc shadow, if that's a cruiser then it'd be a decent beginner bike as well. You wanna make sure there's nowhere near the power to get yourself immediately killed. Like on a freaking sportbike. I'm still jittery from my pal's GSX-R... )

I'm doing another road trip this coming Tuesday, going to Cedar Point in Ohio... Hoping for good weather or else I'll be a bit grumpy by the time I get up there.