Scooter for wife
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Scooter for wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default Scooter for wife

While my wife is terrified of motorcycles, she's thinking of getting a scooter for fun. Want to keep it 50cc or below so she won't have to get a motorcycle license. I know Honda & Yamaha have them (at over 2 grand) and there's a bunch of chinese built available. Anyone with any experience in this area - please share...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Get her the Vespa. They are the best scooters out there.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Do NOT buy the Chinese made crap. Any of the Japanese, or Italian options are good.

TXnorton

Old 11-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Keep a couple of things in mind #1 the smaller diameter wheels on the scooter mean less stability at speed (falls over easier) than a full-sized bike. #2 a small vehicle can be VERY hard to see. One of my dad's buddies has ridden with his wife for years, mostly Goldwings; she lost a leg last year in an accident (dumb luck) and hasn't been the same.

I would consider a trike and a blindingly orange jacket for safety.

http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooters.php#/overview/Piaggio MP3 250 A bit more than you are looking for, but very cool.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 11-23-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

This won't be for transportation - just for fun and riding around in our neighborhood. She loves to ride the jetskis so I figured she'd have a blast on a scooter...

Last edited by NGIB; 11-23-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Keep a couple of things in mind #1 the smaller diameter wheels on the scooter mean less stability at speed (falls over easier) than a full-sized bike. #2 a small vehicle can be VERY hard to see. One of my dad's buddies has ridden with his wife for years, mostly Goldwings; she lost a leg last year in an accident (dumb luck) and hasn't been the same.

I would consider a trike and a blindingly orange jacket for safety.

Piaggio Scooters MP3 250 A bit more than you are looking for, but very cool.
Yeah.. What he said..
Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American.

~ George S. Patton (1944)

Old 11-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I-ZIP Tricruiser Low Step (Unisex) Hybrid Electric Bicycle | Izip Tricruiser Red Electric Bike | Izip Electric Bicycle
Maybe an electric bicycle would satisfy the need for neighborhood transport? The electric bikes are gaining in popularity. Wallyworld has a very basic introductory model for about $500 i bleve. Some people say it is good for fitness, because people can try longer rides & use the battery power to get home if they get too tired. The trike model is a bit more, but might be more useful for trips to the curb market & such (could prolly fit a nice shotgun holster ).

I still recommend at least as much safety orange as the average deer hunter is required to wear.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #8

My friend's mom was forced to buy a scooter after she wrecked one on the test drive. I don't know anything about scooters but people always talk about the Vespa. Or you could get the Faggio.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:39 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Have you considered one of these , I rode one in Daytona and they are a blast!!

Old 11-25-2009, 01:47 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Get her the Vespa. They are the best scooters out there.
Tango, I have to disagree. Vespa's are a very poor quality unit. I worked at a Vespa dealer(also a Yamaha, Suzuki, Victory, Aprillia, and Polaris dealer) and hated working on them. I worked on them constantly because they constantly had problems. The HANDS DOWN, BEST 50cc scooter out there is a Yamaha Zuma. I personally know a man who rode his over 10,000 miles(original everything outside of wear items) and traded it in on new one. Go Zuma, all the way!

Oh yeah, stay away from Phaggio! They're worst then Vespa!! People's are OK and I stress OK.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer