SCIENCE!!! The 1911 in space

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > SCIENCE!!! The 1911 in space

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default SCIENCE!!! The 1911 in space

I tried this elsewhere, and got some decent responses, but never a real answer. And you guys are smarter, so let's see.

A 1911 floats in space. It is stationary. It is equipped with a remote firing system, we can discharge it without touching it. We do that.

What will it do? How will it move? Since we're sort of "limp wristing" it, will it feed the next round? Will it stay in place, move straight back, spin a certain way?

Discuss....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is it floating in open space or in a space shuttle with controlled environment? If in open space there may be temperature issues with the metallurgy and actually being able to fire the pistol.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #3

Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 387

I believe it will fire even without their being any oxygen in the atmosphere.

I believe it would depend on how it were fired as to how it moves. Is there some sort of mechanical system in place to hold the grip safety down while also pulling the trigger or will it be a system that causes the gun to fire without movement of the trigger? I'm going to assume it's a mechanical system that when fired instantly removes itself from the gun and causes no impact on the physics involved.

I believe the gun will begin to spin and travel backwards and down, but more backwards than down. The bullet will travel slower than normal as well. The force of the powder exploding will cause pressure in many directions, once the slide comes back a bit, pressure escaping the ejection port will cause the gun to start moving down. As the shell ejects I fear it might get jammed as the slide comes to a close.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 10-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

If it fires(For this discussion I will assume that yes indeed it will fire in space). The slide will not operate as it has no weight in space. The gun itself will be propelled back (spinning as it is being pushed from the top) at the same exact rate at which the bullet is being forced out.

It's really that simple.

NOTE:

I. Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it. everything in space is moving at a uniform speed that is why everything is weightless.

II. The relationship between an object's mass m, its acceleration a, and the applied force F is F = ma. Acceleration and force are vectors (as indicated by their symbols being displayed in slant bold font); in this law the direction of the force vector is the same as the direction of the acceleration vector.

III. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The bullet and the 1911 itself have zero weight in space. So the force applied to the rear of the bullet and the rear of the cartridge case are going to be exactly the same as they have the same area.

Now the firearm may not move as fast as the bullet because the firearm has much more mass than the bullet.

In space you push off the space station and you will float off in to space and it will not move because the mass of the station is so much more than your body mass.

Weight can change mass is a constant.

Last edited by cpttango30; 10-29-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #5

Tango sounds like Michio Kaku.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #6

Okay, so we'll go with the premise that it will indeed fire.

How do the springs, hammer, and orientation of the ejection port come into play?

Old 10-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #7

Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 387

We need Mythbusters to team up with NASA to answer this for sure.

I think this could actually be figured out mathematically. Well I'm sure it COULD be done, I'm just not that smart. But I will give it rough guess.

I just took these measurements
Slide = 13.37oz
everything else with full magazine = 34.96oz
no magazine = 26.49oz

So I understand that weight is affected by gravity and in space that's pretty much 0 but mass is not. Since the materials of the frame are the same as the slide the mass should scale with the weight (right? I'm guessing here).

Since the frame has twice the mass of the slide, I believe that using my advanced guesstimational and ACME physics algorithms I have concluded that the slide would move just not as much as on earth, but twice as much as the frame would move. Well except that the spring would still work returning the slide to it's original position actually likely counter rotating the gun at that point or reducing the guns rotation at least. This is also assuming the slide is well lubricated as friction would play a factor reducing slide movement.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 10-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #8

Who will make a vacuum chamber large enough to fit inside a plane that can drop down out of the sky to simulate weightlessness and we can pull this of. FTF has enough builders, pilots and 1911 owners to pull this off.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #9

I'm assuming that, barring asteroids or black holes, the bullet would achieve the greatest range a .45 ACP ever has.

Would it maintain velocity?

Old 10-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #10

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
I'm assuming that, barring asteroids or black holes, the bullet would achieve the greatest range a .45 ACP ever has.

Would it maintain velocity?

Back to my original post.

Quote:
I. Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.
Ok so if it doesn't come in contact with ANY outside force (IE solar wind gravity well, planetary bodies, astroids, comets, ect....) the bullet will continue on its course for ever (Or until it runs out of space) the velocity will stay exactly the same if the bullet has NO EXTERNAL Force applied to it.