Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Schools skirmish "killing fields"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 03:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Schools skirmish "killing fields"

I can't see THAT header going down too well here...

Schools caught in skirmish war games

Rosemary Odgers and Tanya Chilcott

March 03, 2010 8:34PM

BAD LOOK: Images on Urban Assault Skirmish's website portray children with "realistic'' guns playing war games on Queensland school properties. Source: The Courier-Mail

QUEENSLAND schools are being promoted as "killing fields" as children as young as six roam corridors brandishing model guns in weekend war games.

Despite concerns about rising violence in classrooms, several state schools have hired out their facilities to a laser skirmish company which uses them as "battlegrounds" outside school hours.

The company, Urban Assault Skirmish, promotes itself as using the "most modern realistic guns available in Australia".

Its website shows pictures of adults and children in camouflage firing laser guns in the schools.

It describes Robina State High School as the "perfect for setting up killing fields with our Gattling guns".

Queensland Council of Parents and Citizens Associations president Margaret Black said the comments and photos were "totally inappropriate and should be removed immediately".

But she said decisions on whether skirmish should be run on school sites out-of-hours should be left to individual school communities on a case-by-case basis.

Schools seeking extra cash to complement funding regularly hire out their facilities.

But Queensland Secondary Principals Association president Norm Fuller said the comments and photos were "disgraceful" and also called for their removal.

Mr Fuller said the skirmish company had used Robina State High School "on an irregular basis" over the past few years, but the principal only became aware yesterday of how they were being advertised.

"Obviously, he is very stunned and clearly does not want his school advertised in that way," he said. "I don't believe it is appropriate for any group to advertise a school in that way, we certainly don't want that linked to any school. It is up to individual school communities as to who they hire their facilities to, but I would have some concerns if a group is going to be using it and promoting it in a way that might be seen as promoting some form of violence."

Opposition education spokesman Bruce Flegg said the State Government was sending the wrong message to children.

"The bottom line is we're trying to stamp out violence in schools, not promote it," Dr Flegg said.

"The scene of using realistic assault weapons, military fatigues and realistic gun fire soundtracks within a school property really seems to be highly inappropriate and sends the wrong message."

A spokesman for Urban Assault Skirmish last night said the game was about kids "getting active" but did not want to comment further.

However, its website states that children need the permission of their parents to play, all sessions were supervised by an adult and it was entirely safe.

Also notice the gallery has gone down on the company's site since the news broke

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #2
MGH

Are shooting video games also banned down under? If I use their logic shooting Nazi Zombies in my home would be inappropriate as well.

I think it sounds kinda fun; Airsoft in a my high school would've been awesome!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:09 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Well this IS laser-skirmish, heh. Actually airsoft is illegal here as it comes under the designation of "military-style weapons"...ie anything that looks 'military' or 'automatic' is strictly verboten, even airsoft:

Quote:
Australia also has tight restrictions on air pistols, airsoft guns, and replica firearms. Suppressors (or 'silencers') are extremely restricted and generally not available to most shooters.
Gun politics in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The Federal Government will change import regulations to tighten controls on firearms that have a "military-style appearance".

Mr Debus said that there was "absolutely no reason" for anyone to own a shotgun that looked like a semi-automatic rifle.

"These firearms could cause unnecessary fear and apprehension in the community, which is why the regulation has been extended to cover these new types of weapons. If someone has a legitimate use for a shotgun then it should look like a shotgun and not a military assault weapon used by soldiers," he said.
Military-style guns will no longer be imported | The Daily Telegraph

But airsoft is legal in the UK, whereas handguns are not. But handguns are legal here (with certain restrictions re barrel length/calibre) but airsoft is not.

Go freakin figure!

Oh yes, since you ask we are the only Western country without a R18+ video game classitfication...so many games get banned here if the developers refuse to reissue it 'modified' for our market. Ha

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 03-04-2010, 05:10 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Uh, sorry bout that

it's WAAY too easy for me to get into 'rant mode' about these things lol

Quote:

Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Well this IS laser-skirmish, heh. Actually airsoft is illegal here as it comes under the designation of "military-style weapons"...ie anything that looks 'military' or 'automatic' is strictly verboten, even airsoft:

Gun politics in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Military-style guns will no longer be imported | The Daily Telegraph

But airsoft is legal in the UK, whereas handguns are not. But handguns are legal here (with certain restrictions re barrel length/calibre) but airsoft is not.

Go freakin figure!

Oh yes, since you ask we are the only Western country without a R18+ video game classitfication...so many games get banned here if the developers refuse to reissue it 'modified' for our market. Ha

Hey Zhuk...... can you still drink beer and have Sex??

Old 03-04-2010, 05:19 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, but we have to apply for Official Govt Authorisation in triplicate first

Quote:

Old 03-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

As a comparison, look what the bloody Kiwis can have (among other things)

Gun City - Products - GUNCITY, GUN CITY, GUN SHOP, christchurch, rifle, shotgun, ...

Bastard sheep-shaggers!

OK...OK....I'll shut up now lol

Quote:

Old 03-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Bastard sheep-shaggers!
Whoa what the hell is wrong with someone shagging a sheep? Sometimes I just get lonely and need a little companionship. You're so insensitive. I got a lot of feelings, and you hurt every damn one of 'em.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Z, what are they complaining about; it's not like any of the kiddies could actually obtain any actual firearms to terrorize their schools with? They start the brainwashing young.

Honestly, I think the kids in that pic are probably old enough to be out hunting squirrels with a .22 or a nice pellet gun (depends on the kid). I got my first .22 for Christmas at age 6; got my first squirrel about 10 minutes later, thanks Santa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey-you-guys View Post
Whoa what the hell is wrong with someone shagging a sheep? Sometimes I just get lonely and need a little companionship. You're so insensitive. I got a lot of feelings, and you hurt every damn one of 'em.
Just saved that for a potential quote signature later.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Z, what are they complaining about; it's not like any of the kiddies could actually obtain any actual firearms to terrorize their schools with? They start the brainwashing young.

Honestly, I think the kids in that pic are probably old enough to be out hunting squirrels with a .22 or a nice pellet gun (depends on the kid). I got my first .22 for Christmas at age 6; got my first squirrel about 10 minutes later, thanks Santa.

I know, that probably seems insane to you...but yes the brainwashing starts early. I hate to admit that I am slightly infected due to a creeping anti-gun osmosis which you absorb just by growing up here. As much as I am logically all for youngsters being brought up with guns and their safe handling, there's still a tiny ingrained reflex that does make me squirm a little when I think of 6 yr olds with guns...and I feel right ashamed for admitting it

The minimum legal age for a Minors Permit here is 12 yrs anyway...and you certainly can't OWN any firearm until 18. The kid is only going to be competing, remember? No plinking allowed! (unless your parents are farmers & you are included on their primary producers licence)

Quote:
"The scene of using realistic assault weapons, military fatigues and realistic gun fire soundtracks within a school property really seems to be highly inappropriate and sends the wrong message."
Yes they're not real firearms...but that doesn't really matter. It's the LOOK of what's being presented here (and it's OBVIOUS innate evilness, lol). Referring back to my previous quote about the ban on 'military-style' guns...it doesn't matter that a rifle might be a completely legal bolt-action, but if it looks 'black & scary' ie 'military' then it's banned.

Did you know that putting a pistol grip on a bolt-action automatically turns it into an "assault rifle"?? Well, now you do!

Quote: