School me on...LAND
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > School me on...LAND

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Default School me on...LAND

Anyone with insight on owning large tracts of land?...I'm looking, but can't narrow down.

What should I know, look for. Any advice on states.

Taxes?... mineral rights.... things like that. Anyone knowing or owning a large amount of land, lets talk...

I'm looking at around 100 acres, preferably wooded, or surrounded by woods.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What staye your looking in might also help people help you mosin-im just throwing that into maybe help you mon ami

Old 01-21-2013, 04:04 AM   #3

I'm free to any RED state...

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-21-2013, 04:07 AM   #4

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
I'm free to any RED state...
I own a ranch so that I guess would quailfy pm with questions

Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8883 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

In Eastern states you usually buy the whole thing (except in coal and gas areas, mineral rights may already have been sold) Western states, water, mineral, riparian rights are frequently seperate.

You want to look at how land is classified, and what the taxes on the land have been. Agricultural is usually taxed MUCH lower than business/ residential. Look at cost of utilities (assuming you will want to do something with utilities)

See what easements there are- where someone or something has a right to cross the land (driveways, powerlines, pipelines).

What access do you have TO the land? Is there a clear title? What can you use the land for? May look pretty, but if the land will not pass a perc test, you are not building anything that requires a septic tank on it. Any environmental hazards from prior occupancies there?

Step 1. Find a real estate agent you like doing business with. Never sign a contract for more than 90 days- shorter can be better.

Step 2. When you buy it, get title insurance that protects YOU. Most protects a lender. It is cheap.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 01-21-2013, 04:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
In Eastern states you usually buy the whole thing (except in coal and gas areas, mineral rights may already have been sold) Western states, water, mineral, riparian rights are frequently seperate.

You want to look at how land is classified, and what the taxes on the land have been. Agricultural is usually taxed MUCH lower than business/ residential. Look at cost of utilities (assuming you will want to do something with utilities)

See what easements there are- where someone or something has a right to cross the land (driveways, powerlines, pipelines).

What access do you have TO the land? Is there a clear title? What can you use the land for? May look pretty, but if the land will not pass a perc test, you are not building anything that requires a septic tank on it. Any environmental hazards from prior occupancies there?

Step 1. Find a real estate agent you like doing business with. Never sign a contract for more than 90 days- shorter can be better.

Step 2. When you buy it, get title insurance that protects YOU. Most protects a lender. It is cheap.
Hell out west here I think im one of the few that havent sold off my water rights an mineral rights. Most got on that bandwagon an now cry about no water, well duhh.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 AM   #7

Thanks for the insights so far guys. I've been frequenting landwatch.com, looking for deals...

I guess I should start with my personal goals.

I'd like to build a home, on a large tract of land (which will obviously need septic, electrical and gas), have good hunting, privacy etc....

Some land borders National Forests, what does that mean, as a land owner? Is this a bad thing?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the insights so far guys. I've been frequenting landwatch.com, looking for deals...

I'd like to build a home, on a large tract of land (which will obviously need septic, electrical and gas), have good hunting, privacy etc....

Some land borders National Forests, what does that mean, as a land owner? Is this a bad thing?
Gas ??? Propane is the name out west, unless u want a large almost county property the u might get a nat gas tap .

Old 01-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #9

What's the water situation out west? Say I wanted to farm a small tract for myself or enough to classify the land as agriculture use....

Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #10

Quote:

How much u wanna spend to. 40 acres at 1000$ per acre adds up quick with home build price. How big is big to u??? I own a total of well pm for more info if u want