Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   School me on...LAND (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/school-me-land-81984/)

Mosin 01-21-2013 03:54 AM

School me on...LAND

Anyone with insight on owning large tracts of land?...I'm looking, but can't narrow down.

What should I know, look for. Any advice on states.

Taxes?... mineral rights.... things like that. Anyone knowing or owning a large amount of land, lets talk...

I'm looking at around 100 acres, preferably wooded, or surrounded by woods.

Marlinman 01-21-2013 03:57 AM

What staye your looking in might also help people help you mosin-im just throwing that into maybe help you mon ami

Mosin 01-21-2013 04:04 AM

I'm free to any RED state...

Muliemaster 01-21-2013 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 1103247)
I'm free to any RED state...

I own a ranch so that I guess would quailfy pm with questions

c3shooter 01-21-2013 04:15 AM

In Eastern states you usually buy the whole thing (except in coal and gas areas, mineral rights may already have been sold) Western states, water, mineral, riparian rights are frequently seperate.

You want to look at how land is classified, and what the taxes on the land have been. Agricultural is usually taxed MUCH lower than business/ residential. Look at cost of utilities (assuming you will want to do something with utilities)

See what easements there are- where someone or something has a right to cross the land (driveways, powerlines, pipelines).

What access do you have TO the land? Is there a clear title? What can you use the land for? May look pretty, but if the land will not pass a perc test, you are not building anything that requires a septic tank on it. Any environmental hazards from prior occupancies there?

Step 1. Find a real estate agent you like doing business with. Never sign a contract for more than 90 days- shorter can be better.

Step 2. When you buy it, get title insurance that protects YOU. Most protects a lender. It is cheap.

Muliemaster 01-21-2013 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1103268)
In Eastern states you usually buy the whole thing (except in coal and gas areas, mineral rights may already have been sold) Western states, water, mineral, riparian rights are frequently seperate.

You want to look at how land is classified, and what the taxes on the land have been. Agricultural is usually taxed MUCH lower than business/ residential. Look at cost of utilities (assuming you will want to do something with utilities)

See what easements there are- where someone or something has a right to cross the land (driveways, powerlines, pipelines).

What access do you have TO the land? Is there a clear title? What can you use the land for? May look pretty, but if the land will not pass a perc test, you are not building anything that requires a septic tank on it. Any environmental hazards from prior occupancies there?

Step 1. Find a real estate agent you like doing business with. Never sign a contract for more than 90 days- shorter can be better.

Step 2. When you buy it, get title insurance that protects YOU. Most protects a lender. It is cheap.

Hell out west here I think im one of the few that havent sold off my water rights an mineral rights. Most got on that bandwagon an now cry about no water, well duhh.

Mosin 01-21-2013 04:27 AM

Thanks for the insights so far guys. I've been frequenting landwatch.com, looking for deals...

I guess I should start with my personal goals.

I'd like to build a home, on a large tract of land (which will obviously need septic, electrical and gas), have good hunting, privacy etc....

Some land borders National Forests, what does that mean, as a land owner? Is this a bad thing?

Muliemaster 01-21-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 1103281)
Thanks for the insights so far guys. I've been frequenting landwatch.com, looking for deals...

I'd like to build a home, on a large tract of land (which will obviously need septic, electrical and gas), have good hunting, privacy etc....

Some land borders National Forests, what does that mean, as a land owner? Is this a bad thing?

Gas ??? Propane is the name out west, unless u want a large almost county property the u might get a nat gas tap .

Mosin 01-21-2013 04:33 AM

What's the water situation out west? Say I wanted to farm a small tract for myself or enough to classify the land as agriculture use....

Muliemaster 01-21-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 1103281)

How much u wanna spend to. 40 acres at 1000$ per acre adds up quick with home build price. How big is big to u??? I own a total of well pm for more info if u want