Scenario - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Scenario

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845 View Post
The trooper asked you, the home owner, to check your property out? Since you grabbed your weapon I assume he was refering to a possible intruder.

Were you doing his job for him?
The trooper had already searched the yards and didn't see anybody. He told me to look around and see if averything was ok. I grabbed my weapon because I don't ever put myself in a situation without some sort of protection. If the guy had come back to see if he could get the truck and I stummbled upon him things could have gotten dangerous. (I guess you can say I'm a bit paranoid)

Old 10-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackandcoke View Post
Isn't that his responsibility?
The trooper told me to check my property.... to see if everything was ok. He had already looked around the houses and didn't see the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackandcoke View Post
What if the drunk had a weapon and attacked you to prevent capture?
And that is why I carried my pistol.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #13

The main reason I put this on here was to see how you guys felt about a State Trooper telling me that I didn't have to announce that I was carrying a gun. It stunned me when he said that and I just wanted some opinions from others.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

sounds like a very reasonable thing to do, just incase something happenend the tropper would know that you were not the threat

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1012 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 222

A homeowner will notice something not being "slightly" off, where a stranger will not. Broken window, noticeable, slightly askew, not necessarily an issue.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #16

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt_tater View Post
Ok so I have noticed there are several LEOs on here and a lot of people that carry pistols. I am not claiming to know all the state laws or anything, but I would like everyones personal opinion.

As I was getting home from work at 9pm, there was a state trooper in my front yard at the scene of an accident. He told me that the driver was probably drunk and fled the scene. He told me to check around my property. So I went up got my 9mm from the house ( I usually conceal my .380 but didn't want to go around the house with a compact pistol). As I went around my house and my in-laws house I saw the trooper shine his light up at me so I decided to walk down and tell him that I hadn't seen anything (again I have a 9mm on my side). So I shined my flashlight down on my pistol as I announced who I was and that I was armed.

This is where my question come from.... The trooper said that I didn't have to announce that I was armed since I was on my private property.

IMO I would rather announce that I am armed than him see it and get suspicious or worse draw his weapon.

What is your opinion on this?

HMMMMMMMM, kinda odd.........................take one step off the curb and onto the roadway, what then?

you definitely did the right thing.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 10-03-2011, 03:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS

HMMMMMMMM, kinda odd.........................take one step off the curb and onto the roadway, what then?

you definitely did the right thing.
I live in the country so we don't have curbs, but yeah. That was my thoughts. The thing is I did walk in the road with him as we both looked at the truck.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:46 AM   #18

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

While there is no LAW stating the exact procedure, what you did was courteous and most LEOs appreciate it. I always did and I never felt threatened. I have heard people say that LEOs take it as a threat, but any good LEO can tell the difference between a courteous " I am armed" and a " I have a gun, Copper!"

I'd stick with what you did, and by him telling you that you did not need to, I'd take that as him letting you know everything was cool, and he probably appreciated it to some degree. Better than having it go down the other way though