Scenario

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Scenario

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scenario

Ok so I have noticed there are several LEOs on here and a lot of people that carry pistols. I am not claiming to know all the state laws or anything, but I would like everyones personal opinion.

As I was getting home from work at 9pm, there was a state trooper in my front yard at the scene of an accident. He told me that the driver was probably drunk and fled the scene. He told me to check around my property. So I went up got my 9mm from the house ( I usually conceal my .380 but didn't want to go around the house with a compact pistol). As I went around my house and my in-laws house I saw the trooper shine his light up at me so I decided to walk down and tell him that I hadn't seen anything (again I have a 9mm on my side). So I shined my flashlight down on my pistol as I announced who I was and that I was armed.

This is where my question come from.... The trooper said that I didn't have to announce that I was armed since I was on my private property.

IMO I would rather announce that I am armed than him see it and get suspicious or worse draw his weapon.

What is your opinion on this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2011, 04:16 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7343 Times on 4419 Posts
Likes Given: 9064

I think you did the right thing. He said you didn't HAVE to announce you were armed, but I think it was a courtesy to the officer.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:36 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2232 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 803

If I am carrying, I'm going to announce to any LEO in the least threatening manner possible whether required to or not.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 10-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #4
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

I would've thought he'd appreciate the courtesy, but I probably would've announced it as well, just to be safe.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #5

Default Scenario

You did the right thing In My Opinion .

Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon

Old 10-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #6

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That saying about "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" applies here too. Maybe you didn't HAVE to announce it, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead. If something had happened and you ended up in court, something like that could help you too, a good lawyer would probably try to prove it showed you had no hostile intent.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:44 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think it was not only courteous, but wise. That way, if the trooper wasn't able to recognize you, but saw you were armed, there would be no misunderstanding or misinterpretation.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:21 AM   #8

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Please correct me if I misunderstood something here?

The trooper asked you, the home owner, to check your property out? Since you grabbed your weapon I assume he was refering to a possible intruder.

Were you doing his job for him?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt_tater View Post
Ok so I have noticed there are several LEOs on here and a lot of people that carry pistols. I am not claiming to know all the state laws or anything, but I would like everyones personal opinion.

As I was getting home from work at 9pm, there was a state trooper in my front yard at the scene of an accident. He told me that the driver was probably drunk and fled the scene. He told me to check around my property. So I went up got my 9mm from the house ( I usually conceal my .380 but didn't want to go around the house with a compact pistol). As I went around my house and my in-laws house I saw the trooper shine his light up at me so I decided to walk down and tell him that I hadn't seen anything (again I have a 9mm on my side). So I shined my flashlight down on my pistol as I announced who I was and that I was armed.

This is where my question come from.... The trooper said that I didn't have to announce that I was armed since I was on my private property.

IMO I would rather announce that I am armed than him see it and get suspicious or worse draw his weapon.

What is your opinion on this?
Isn't that his responsibility? What if the drunk had a weapon and attacked you to prevent capture?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #10

Also, you did the right thing letting the officer know you were armed.