Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Scenario (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/scenario-49088/)

bkt_tater 10-01-2011 03:50 AM

Scenario

Ok so I have noticed there are several LEOs on here and a lot of people that carry pistols. I am not claiming to know all the state laws or anything, but I would like everyones personal opinion.

As I was getting home from work at 9pm, there was a state trooper in my front yard at the scene of an accident. He told me that the driver was probably drunk and fled the scene. He told me to check around my property. So I went up got my 9mm from the house ( I usually conceal my .380 but didn't want to go around the house with a compact pistol). As I went around my house and my in-laws house I saw the trooper shine his light up at me so I decided to walk down and tell him that I hadn't seen anything (again I have a 9mm on my side). So I shined my flashlight down on my pistol as I announced who I was and that I was armed.

This is where my question come from.... The trooper said that I didn't have to announce that I was armed since I was on my private property.

IMO I would rather announce that I am armed than him see it and get suspicious or worse draw his weapon.

What is your opinion on this?

winds-of-change 10-01-2011 04:16 AM

I think you did the right thing. He said you didn't HAVE to announce you were armed, but I think it was a courtesy to the officer.

ScottA 10-01-2011 04:36 AM

If I am carrying, I'm going to announce to any LEO in the least threatening manner possible whether required to or not.

TekGreg 10-01-2011 05:45 AM

I would've thought he'd appreciate the courtesy, but I probably would've announced it as well, just to be safe.

32tudor 10-01-2011 01:45 PM

Scenario

You did the right thing In My Opinion .

trip286 10-01-2011 01:51 PM

That saying about "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" applies here too. Maybe you didn't HAVE to announce it, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead. If something had happened and you ended up in court, something like that could help you too, a good lawyer would probably try to prove it showed you had no hostile intent.

shadamai 10-02-2011 12:44 AM

I think it was not only courteous, but wise. That way, if the trooper wasn't able to recognize you, but saw you were armed, there would be no misunderstanding or misinterpretation.

Dennis845 10-02-2011 01:21 AM

Please correct me if I misunderstood something here?

The trooper asked you, the home owner, to check your property out? Since you grabbed your weapon I assume he was refering to a possible intruder.

Were you doing his job for him?

jackandcoke 10-02-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt_tater (Post 590437)
Ok so I have noticed there are several LEOs on here and a lot of people that carry pistols. I am not claiming to know all the state laws or anything, but I would like everyones personal opinion.

As I was getting home from work at 9pm, there was a state trooper in my front yard at the scene of an accident. He told me that the driver was probably drunk and fled the scene. He told me to check around my property. So I went up got my 9mm from the house ( I usually conceal my .380 but didn't want to go around the house with a compact pistol). As I went around my house and my in-laws house I saw the trooper shine his light up at me so I decided to walk down and tell him that I hadn't seen anything (again I have a 9mm on my side). So I shined my flashlight down on my pistol as I announced who I was and that I was armed.

This is where my question come from.... The trooper said that I didn't have to announce that I was armed since I was on my private property.

IMO I would rather announce that I am armed than him see it and get suspicious or worse draw his weapon.

What is your opinion on this?

Isn't that his responsibility? What if the drunk had a weapon and attacked you to prevent capture?

jackandcoke 10-02-2011 01:33 AM

Also, you did the right thing letting the officer know you were armed.