Scary Movie - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Scary Movie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3573 Times on 1835 Posts
Likes Given: 396

The latest movie that scared me? The Grudge. That just freaked me out!

I agree the real world is scarier, but I just deal with reality, pain and death every day. I guess I am kind of used to it.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10954 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

Not the most recent, but a memorable flick- "Wait Until Dark". Bad guy is inside house with lady- who is blind. Trying to catch her. She decides to level the playing field- kills all lights inside house-but she is accustomed to getting around in house- light or no light. One scene sticks in memory- she has killed bad guy, is trying to get out of house, but doors/ windows all blocked. As she passes the body of the bad guy on the floor he suddenly comes up off the floor and FLIES about 8 ft across the room at her. Actually saw this in theater- and EVERYBODY in theater screams when that happens. Just a VERy well directed and acted scene.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm really not easily shaken, but the last thing that made me jump, movie wise, was the scene in Signs when they were showing the kid's birthday in Mexico on the news. I damn near crapped 'em when the alien walked around the corner and looked at the camera. For some reason, that one scene got me good.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
When I was a 7 year old in 1953, the first movie I ever saw was the original War Of The Worlds. That thing scared the goodies out of me and was a heck of introduction to motion pictures. I had nightmares after seeing it.

More recently, the original Salem's Lot, (1979) by Stephen King gets to me. I know it is low-tech and kind of funky, but there is a scene where the grave digger (Mike Ryerson played by Geoffery Lewis), is floating outside of the kid's (Danny Glick, played by Brad Savage) bedroom window in a mist. Something about that scene sends chills up my spine. I've seen it dozens of times, but something in there gets to me.
Yeah, Salem's Lot when I was a kid. Up to that point, vampires were elegant, good-looking guys like me (think Lugosi, Christopher Lee). The vampire in this one was about as ghastly as could be, and I probably wouldn't mess with him in daylight in a garlic suit.

Zombie movies are inspiration for the range.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #15

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

OK OK OK OK I admit it Nightmare on Elm St got to me too. It was 3 years before i rode my bike down elm st in my home town. I didn't want any part of some burned guy with razors for fingers.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #16

The X-Files cockroach episode. They filmed it so that at the end credits, a roach runs across your screen. Ba$^%#@s.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:03 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not sure if scared is the right word, but two fairly recent movies that had an excellent creepy factor were "Vacancy" and "1408"

1408 is the one about the haunted hotel room with John Cusack and Samuel L Jackson. I thought this movie was excellent.

Vacancy has Luke Wilson and uberhottie Kate Beckinsale as a couple who end up spending the night at an off the beaten path motel where they end up dealing with more than bad room service. This movie will make you believe in carrying on vacation.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 01-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post

Vacancy has Luke Wilson and uberhottie Kate Beckinsale as a couple who end up spending the night at an off the beaten path motel where they end up dealing with more than bad room service. This movie will make you believe in carrying on vacation.
I agree with the uber hottie part, and I totally agree about carrying on vacation - but that movie was kind of lame.

[personal rant]

Why is it, my fellow gun loving forum mates, that we NEVER see a movie like the one described above, or "The Strangers" ( which was a bit better in my opinion, but still kind of lame ) where a couple actually HAS a weapon?

I realize the sarcastic answer would be "Because it would be over in 20 minutes after the first creepy guy entered their locked house/hotel room" - but think about it for a moment.

Both of those movies have multiple assailants, both have a man and a woman locking themselves inside unfamiliar surroundings, with the bad guys knowing where they are at and how to get to them.

And why is it, anytime there is a zombie / end of the world / SHTF movie, the weapons guy in the "group" of friends always gets clipped first? Except for Burt Gummer in Tremors *RESPECT*

[/personal rant]

JD

Old 01-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #19

Rant.

Wanna get angry? See Timber Falls. A couple backpacks W.V. mountains, and in accosted by some hillbillys. After a narrow escape in the first encounter, the man arms himself, and the girl wants him to get rid of the gun. He explains that someone could find it and get hurt, so she makes him THROW THE BULLETS AWAY. I stopped right there.

On the other side of the spectrum is the SHTF movie where an average shmoe finds a surplus store, and despite no formal firearms training, manages to pick out twin full auto pistols, somehow knows which ammo they'll take, and maybe gets a functional LAW or RPG to boot. Don't know about surplus stores in the rest of the U.S., but in my neck of the woods, it'd be a rusty bayonet.

Perhaps we should finance an indie, with a forum member as the hero, a super nasty bad guy, and the fodder in the middle are antis. Before each reaches their demise, they can throw out an anti talking point.

"Only police should have those."-zombie cop eats anti.

"No purpose for hi-cap magazines."- 30 zombies eat anti.

"50 cals should only be for the military." mutant with 1000 meter claw spears anti.

Etc.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #20

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^ BRILLIANT!! I don't want any screen time, but I am definitely going to be the set weapons guy who ACTUALLY KEEPS COUNT OF BULLETS USED - so we can accurately portray a hot reload and what happens when you actually shoot 8 bullets from an 8 round magazine... LOL

JD