Scared People
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Scared People

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fa35jsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The greatest country in the world, Texas!
Posts: 1,150
Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Default Scared People

Well I received a call from the police today. Apparently I scared someone yesterday. Luckily the cop was very understanding. Anyways, here is the story and someone please explain to me how I possibly frightened/concerned anybody.

So I am attending college in a very red state. I come from the country and carry a pocket knife on me everyday, have for years. So I was in a Psychology Research study and was the only one other than the researcher there, and a video camera. I was completing the assignment but dealing with a very dull pencil, almost like using a crayon. I asked the researcher if he had a sharp pencil and he didn't so I grabbed the trash can, pulled out my knife, and sharpened the pencil and continued to go about my work, putting the knife on the desk. After finishing the assignment, I put my pocket knife back in my pocket and turned in my work. The researcher never said a word about the "situation".

So I get a call today from the campus police asking about this incident and why I pulled out a knife. I simply replied that I had to sharpen a pencil and he laughed. I then explained the whole story and the cop told me that he was certain it was nothing serious but somebody (I'm guessing the person who watched the video) reported me and he had to follow up. He said he had already told that person that the state which I'm in 98% of guys over high school carry a knife. The police officer told me not to worry and there was no report on file but that got me thinking, "how does using a pocket knife scare somebody"? It's just crazy that anybody would report such a thing. Anybody else have stupid crazy stories like this?

__________________
fa35jsf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sdiver35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,171
Liked 376 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Default

Sad, but true these days. How big of a pocket knife is it? Mine is a Benchmade CQC-7 and I wasn't allowed in the Smithsonian with it last year when visiting DC.

__________________

01100011011011110110110101100101001000000110000101 10111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110 01010010000001110100011010000110010101101101

sdiver35 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mrm14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 2,374
Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default

I always carry these when I work. They are on my belt and are used for copper and fiber cable when splicing.

http://i21.geccdn.net/site/images/n-picgroup/KLI_409-46037.jpg

I get asked all the time, when I go into a bar or strip club after work, before I go home, to take them out of the establishment and return or leave.

__________________
A good piece of glass is like a fine piece of ass. There is no known substitute known to man, and neither are cheap.
mrm14 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KG7IL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Posts: 2,440
Liked 1732 Times on 960 Posts
Likes Given: 5280

Default

This is the mindset of many.
They have been told that this is dangerous so they have learned to be 'scared'.

Media hype has told them that a pocket knife is a dangerous weapon.

Since many schools have 'banned' knives, few kids have the opportunity to carry and learn the responsibilities. Instead they have learned to fear them. They know no different. School Staff have been told to watch for these weapons and report it.

I have carried a knife since third grade. It was an Imperial Camp King, like a scout knife. I still have it.

I carry a two bladed folder about 2 1/2 closed. I pull it out and use it often. Like I say it's a tool. Cut threads, strings, remove staples, tighten screws. It is a tool and my constant companion. (wallet, glasses, knife ... check)

Some have seen the large folder, black, with clip and think they look very scary because they saw it kill someone in a movie.

Many know nothing more than what MSNBC tells them.
I am appalled by the number of people in just a generation have learned to be scared, all because of our media hype of weapon related crime.

If you look anything like your avatar picture, perhaps this is what scared them.


Last edited by KG7IL; 12-05-2012 at 01:16 AM.
KG7IL is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fa35jsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The greatest country in the world, Texas!
Posts: 1,150
Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Default

Does the size matter? I mean maybe in some states/locals but really not in my state. It's probably less than 3 inches. It really doesn't matter to me. The cop completely understood the situation and even laughed about it. He didn't tell me anything like not to do it again. I guess the lesson I should take away from this is perhaps be a little more "sensitive" to others and I probably should have immediately put the knife back in my pocket.

__________________
fa35jsf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mosin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,438
Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Default

My college requires us to carry a knife. They're allowed to stop and ask to see it.

__________________

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Mosin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fa35jsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The greatest country in the world, Texas!
Posts: 1,150
Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
I always carry these when I work. They are on my belt and are used for copper and fiber cable when splicing.

http://i21.geccdn.net/site/images/n-picgroup/KLI_409-46037.jpg

I get asked all the time, when I go into a bar or strip club after work, before I go home, to take them out of the establishment and return or leave.
A bar is one thing. Some of the ones near campus check for knifes after a certain time of night. Oddly enough they don't if its before like 9pm.
__________________
fa35jsf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fa35jsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The greatest country in the world, Texas!
Posts: 1,150
Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
This is the mindset of many.
They have been told that this is dangerous so they have learned to be 'scared'.

Media hype has told them that a pocket knife is a dangerous weapon.

Since many schools have 'banned' knives, few kids have the opportunity to carry and learn the responsibilities. Instead they have learned to fear them. They know no different. School Staff have been told to watch for these weapons and report it.

I have carried a knife since third grade. It was an Imperial Camp King, like a scout knife. I still have it.

I carry a two bladed folder about 2 1/2 closed. I pull it out and use it often. Like I say it's a tool. Cut threads, strings, remove staples, tighten screws. It is a tool and my constant companion. (wallet, glasses, knife ... check)

Some have seen the large folder, black, with clip and think they look very scary because they saw it kill someone in a movie.

Many know nothing more than what MSNBC tells them.
I am appalled by the number of people in just a generation have learned to be scared, all because of our media hype of weapon related crime.

If you look anything like your avatar picture, perhaps this is what scared them.
I understand this. I am appalled when I see such biased news reporting. And my picture is me in a F-18 Superhornet this summer.
__________________
fa35jsf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 820
Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

The problem is that people these days aren't exposed to people carrying knifes. When someone flashes a knife they don't think of it as a tool, they think of it as a weapon used to kill. I have pulled out a knife to cut something then heard someone squeel because they were scared, it's the same way with guns. Back in the day (way back) people carried guns and they were a common sight, but the media puts this image into peoples brains.

__________________
95sniper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fa35jsf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The greatest country in the world, Texas!
Posts: 1,150
Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
My college requires us to carry a knife. They're allowed to stop and ask to see it.
Really? Thats crazy, what college is that if you don't mind telling.
__________________
fa35jsf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
China...I ain't scared. Sonic82 Politics, Religion and Controversy 42 11-24-2012 05:26 AM
THIS is the reason normal people are scared of guns and people with guns DodgerBlue Legal and Activism 51 03-28-2012 02:58 AM
guns don't kill people, people kill people dhelix Politics, Religion and Controversy 77 03-04-2010 01:49 AM
Why are people scared of 1911s? spittinfire 1911 Forum 43 02-07-2010 03:10 AM
Scared of Camo..... cpttango30 The Club House 12 09-17-2008 04:02 PM