Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Scared People (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/scared-people-77730/)

fa35jsf 12-05-2012 01:55 AM

Scared People

Well I received a call from the police today. Apparently I scared someone yesterday. Luckily the cop was very understanding. Anyways, here is the story and someone please explain to me how I possibly frightened/concerned anybody.

So I am attending college in a very red state. I come from the country and carry a pocket knife on me everyday, have for years. So I was in a Psychology Research study and was the only one other than the researcher there, and a video camera. I was completing the assignment but dealing with a very dull pencil, almost like using a crayon. I asked the researcher if he had a sharp pencil and he didn't so I grabbed the trash can, pulled out my knife, and sharpened the pencil and continued to go about my work, putting the knife on the desk. After finishing the assignment, I put my pocket knife back in my pocket and turned in my work. The researcher never said a word about the "situation".

So I get a call today from the campus police asking about this incident and why I pulled out a knife. I simply replied that I had to sharpen a pencil and he laughed. I then explained the whole story and the cop told me that he was certain it was nothing serious but somebody (I'm guessing the person who watched the video) reported me and he had to follow up. He said he had already told that person that the state which I'm in 98% of guys over high school carry a knife. The police officer told me not to worry and there was no report on file but that got me thinking, "how does using a pocket knife scare somebody"? It's just crazy that anybody would report such a thing. Anybody else have stupid crazy stories like this?

sdiver35 12-05-2012 02:12 AM

Sad, but true these days. How big of a pocket knife is it? Mine is a Benchmade CQC-7 and I wasn't allowed in the Smithsonian with it last year when visiting DC.

mrm14 12-05-2012 02:13 AM

I always carry these when I work. They are on my belt and are used for copper and fiber cable when splicing.

http://i21.geccdn.net/site/images/n-picgroup/KLI_409-46037.jpg

I get asked all the time, when I go into a bar or strip club after work, before I go home, to take them out of the establishment and return or leave.

KG7IL 12-05-2012 02:14 AM

This is the mindset of many.
They have been told that this is dangerous so they have learned to be 'scared'.

Media hype has told them that a pocket knife is a dangerous weapon.

Since many schools have 'banned' knives, few kids have the opportunity to carry and learn the responsibilities. Instead they have learned to fear them. They know no different. School Staff have been told to watch for these weapons and report it.

I have carried a knife since third grade. It was an Imperial Camp King, like a scout knife. I still have it.

I carry a two bladed folder about 2 1/2 closed. I pull it out and use it often. Like I say it's a tool. Cut threads, strings, remove staples, tighten screws. It is a tool and my constant companion. (wallet, glasses, knife ... check)

Some have seen the large folder, black, with clip and think they look very scary :) because they saw it kill someone in a movie.

Many know nothing more than what MSNBC tells them.
I am appalled by the number of people in just a generation have learned to be scared, all because of our media hype of weapon related crime.

If you look anything like your avatar picture, perhaps this is what scared them.

fa35jsf 12-05-2012 02:16 AM

Does the size matter? I mean maybe in some states/locals but really not in my state. It's probably less than 3 inches. It really doesn't matter to me. The cop completely understood the situation and even laughed about it. He didn't tell me anything like not to do it again. I guess the lesson I should take away from this is perhaps be a little more "sensitive" to others and I probably should have immediately put the knife back in my pocket.

Mosin 12-05-2012 02:17 AM

My college requires us to carry a knife. They're allowed to stop and ask to see it.

fa35jsf 12-05-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 1039250)
I always carry these when I work. They are on my belt and are used for copper and fiber cable when splicing.

http://i21.geccdn.net/site/images/n-picgroup/KLI_409-46037.jpg

I get asked all the time, when I go into a bar or strip club after work, before I go home, to take them out of the establishment and return or leave.

A bar is one thing. Some of the ones near campus check for knifes after a certain time of night. Oddly enough they don't if its before like 9pm.

fa35jsf 12-05-2012 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG7IL (Post 1039251)
This is the mindset of many.
They have been told that this is dangerous so they have learned to be 'scared'.

Media hype has told them that a pocket knife is a dangerous weapon.

Since many schools have 'banned' knives, few kids have the opportunity to carry and learn the responsibilities. Instead they have learned to fear them. They know no different. School Staff have been told to watch for these weapons and report it.

I have carried a knife since third grade. It was an Imperial Camp King, like a scout knife. I still have it.

I carry a two bladed folder about 2 1/2 closed. I pull it out and use it often. Like I say it's a tool. Cut threads, strings, remove staples, tighten screws. It is a tool and my constant companion. (wallet, glasses, knife ... check)

Some have seen the large folder, black, with clip and think they look very scary :) because they saw it kill someone in a movie.

Many know nothing more than what MSNBC tells them.
I am appalled by the number of people in just a generation have learned to be scared, all because of our media hype of weapon related crime.

If you look anything like your avatar picture, perhaps this is what scared them.

I understand this. I am appalled when I see such biased news reporting. And my picture is me in a F-18 Superhornet this summer.

95sniper 12-05-2012 02:21 AM

The problem is that people these days aren't exposed to people carrying knifes. When someone flashes a knife they don't think of it as a tool, they think of it as a weapon used to kill. I have pulled out a knife to cut something then heard someone squeel because they were scared, it's the same way with guns. Back in the day (way back) people carried guns and they were a common sight, but the media puts this image into peoples brains.

fa35jsf 12-05-2012 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 1039256)
My college requires us to carry a knife. They're allowed to stop and ask to see it.

Really? Thats crazy, what college is that if you don't mind telling.