Scared of Camo..... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Scared of Camo.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Times do change..

I like the way C3shooter thinks, and a couple others. When I started hunting in the 40's as a kid in Iowa I wore whatever it took to stay warm. Jeans and however many sweaters and coats to stay warm, in whatever color my mother had for me, or got handed down from my (ugh) sister. Kidding!! When I got out of college and moved to Montana w/the Forest Service on the Flathead Nat. Forest, I hunted elk, goat, bear, antelope Iin the Red Rock Cent. area near West Yellowstone) in jeans, etc. Colors never seemed to make much difference. I did take a more precautions duck hunting. I had a WW II - or maybe Korea - OD field jacket that I wore duck hinting. And a brown cap to help hide my face. Don't look up! Best not to move, either.

Now, influenced somewhat by my #2 son, I guess I use MossyOak breakup for most of my hunting. Kind of helps that I work part time at Bass Pro and get my discount on all the neat Read Head camo gear. No doubt it probably helps in the woods a little bit, but I still believe movement, or the rate of movement, will ruin your chances regardless of what you are wearing.

Hunters & Anglers: The first environmentalists are still the best!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:06 AM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The only benefit you'll get from buying high-dollar, computer-designed camo designed for your specific area/season/target species is the bragging rights. When they come up with camo good enough to permit me to walk up to a bull elk and club it to death with a wooden spoon, I'll worry about the DPI of my clothing.
Don't waste your money.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #13

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

You don't need scent blockers and all that commercial crap that those guys on the hunting shows say you have to have. My father-in-law has killed more deer than you could load on 100 semi-trailers in his lifetime and never once used all that junk.

Sometimes he doesn't even wear camo, he just goes out and for some reason the deer just seem to through themselves in front of his gun. I have seen him kill a doe and then cut the scent glands off her legs and use them to lure a buck in.

The first deer I killed, about 4 years ago, was killed at a range of 50 yards while I sat on a rock in a clearing at the edge of an old logging road. I was wearing tan work coveralls and a brown t-shirt underneath and not using any scent blockers or anything.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380