Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Scared of Camo.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Default Scared of Camo.....

OK I can go in to a store and talk guns with anyone. But you get me into the clothing section and I freeze up. The gander mtn here has 1/2 the store taken up with camo. What ever happened to the plane old camo like we used to wear in the military OD Green, Brown, Black, tan? I have no clue when looking at all this camo and the 15,000,000,000,000,000,000 different patterns which one would work best for me.

I would be hunting in a wooded area with pine, hard woods, brush and it can be a little dark (Light wise). So how would I pick out a pattern that will work for me in Virginia? Any help at all will work. I know the only military camo and that is it. I had planned on using my old BDU's but LOL I have slightly outgrown them in the last few years (Too much BBQ). Then they add in sent blockers and sprays and soap deodorant and all the other stuff you are supposed to use AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. It drive me bonkers, does anyone else have this problem? Why can't they just have camo and that is it. Realtree, advantage, Browning, yahoo who know what other kind there is.

So what would you get for an area with pine, hardwood and moderate brush?

I might just go and get a ground blind and wear my regular clothes. Oh this is a pain in the ares.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2008, 12:44 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

How about this?

I am not going to be any help here brother. I still have my original BDU style from 1999. I don't know if they fit, but I know they are still in good shape.... LOL

JD

Old 08-24-2008, 01:15 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That's what I use, JD, the good ol' BDUs. Well, and my carhardt coveralls

Old 08-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Well, I used to have an ATV in RealTree Camo, shotgun in Browning Camo, packframe in Cabella's, and a knife in Gander Mountain. Got off the ATV in the woods to take a whiz. That was 3 years ago, still looking for my ATV. (GRIN) Sorry- could not resist. With the exception of TURKEY hunting, IMHO, the whole camo thing is highly overated. Deer see MOVEMENT. And here in VA, during GUN season, you best be wearing blaze orange, so...... you pays ya money, ya takes ya pick. Oh, what do I wear? Well, pair of jeans, boots, shirt or jacket depending on temp, and a blaze orange vest. Clothes are washed in plain water, I shower with Neutrogena, no after shave, toothpaste, etc. Pay attention to the wind, especially if still hunting. I have a strip of camo pattern cheescloth (looks like your old BDUs) that is 3 ft high, 8 ft wide. If I am ground hunting, will stretch between two trees at ground level, 3 ft in front of my stand. I can sit, it screens any movement of feet, legs, etc. If you are TURKEY hunting- they are paranoid. Wear everything they have in Gander Mountain. Or switch to deer hunting.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:22 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
How about this?

I am not going to be any help here brother. I still have my original BDU style from 1999. I don't know if they fit, but I know they are still in good shape.... LOL

JD

LOL but they don't have the matching Hot Pink Cod piece.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:17 AM   #6

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Have you guys seen the new 'digital camo' the ARMY and Marines are using now? I'm hopefully getting into the National Guard soon and can't wait to get my BDU's.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 08-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #7

Camo... people go about it all wrong. Just find an apple tree, plant a few claymores (the motion-sensing ones that Solid Snake uses), go off a few hundred yards, kick back in the lawnchair and wait a while. Maybe set up a hammock and read or snooze.

I kid. Seems to me that anything would work... isn't the main purpose of camo to break the solid outline? If deer key off movement, then it's all groovy.

Keep in mind, I know less about hunting than I do about guns, which is not much at all in the first place.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I googled and found this site which has a few patterns to select from. Good luck.

http://www.imsplus.com/ims7.html
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"I have no clue when looking at all this camo and the 15,000,000,000,000,000,000 different patterns which one would work best for me. "

Agreed, few of us do. And it really don't much matter, it's all fluff to attract gofus hunters who think that maybe, with just the right camo, they will become invisible. That won't happen and it's not really necessary to be successful. Old timers used gray pants and red plaid shirts and they were just as invisible to deer as anything available today IF THEY STAYED STILL! If not still, no change of clothes will work.

I buy all of my hunting clothes by feature and price. I don't agree with the "you get what you pay for" mentality but do feel you can easily pay for a lot more than you really get. That means I don't buy expensive "brand name" stuff with any assumption that it's better as a matter of course. It usually ain't!

But the features are important! I really like quite fabrics. All my clothes come with large pockets. I prefer clothes with buttons instead of noisy zippers or velcro. My shirts and loose fitted coats have high collar necks and my cold weather coats have wind resistant, knitted, wrist cuffs. My loose pants and bib overalls have draw string cuffs if I have to add the draw-strings myself! All button front shirts that can be loosed for cooling instead of pull-overs. Etc.

I think it's amusing to see someone wearing a carefully purchased set of the newest model cammies and a legally mandated bright orange safety vest over it all! Especially since, luck and skill allowing, they still get their deer but it's obviously not because of their cammy pattern!

Last edited by 1hole; 08-27-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Back when Dad and I hunted in our local woods (70's an early eighties - they are all trailer parks now) we wore green flannel shirts over blue jeans -- never failed to get our limit. Squirrels, ducks, deer.......

Then I started wearing Woodland camo. Still got my limit.

Now, I have bits & pieces of different camos - the RealTree Hardwoods seems to work well here, in our pine/scrub oak woods. Woodland is actually too dark, and shows up against the lighter and slightly brownish underbrush.

But the deer don't seem to care......