Save Energy W/ Blackle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Save Energy W/ Blackle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Save Energy W/ Blackle

It's a Google powered search engine that saves energy by having a black screen instead of a white screen. Looks cool too. Take a look and see what you think.

Blackle

Apparently the use of black, instead of white, consumes considerably less energy. If the numbers on the home page are to be believed ( 771,956.330 Watt hours saved ) it seems to be working.

In any event, it's a different look for your homepage or search engine if you are interested.

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

LCDs burn the same amount of juice regardless of what color they're producing.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #3

Even black? How can it take energy to make black?

Old 08-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I wish I had an LCD. I have a 15" monitor that was probably new and relevant in 1991 on my work computer. shi' ite sucks man....

JD

Old 08-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Save energy?! Hell JD I want to burn energy!! I want to burn, burn, burn babee!!! Save a tree, burn a hippy. But be careful, the aroma of burning wood is a reminder of campfires, pregame bonfires, and roasting marshmellows, burning a hippy just stinks like a mixture of tires and gas.

It may or may not be true about black screens, but they sure don't read well for me on webpages. I can't stand reading black with colored or white text. Bad eyes I guess....

9x18=Makarov

Old 08-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Save energy?! Hell JD I want to burn energy!! I want to burn, burn, burn babee!!! Save a tree, burn a hippy. But be careful, the aroma of burning wood is a reminder of campfires, pregame bonfires, and roasting marshmellows, burning a hippy just stinks like a mixture of tires and gas.

It may or may not be true about black screens, but they sure don't read well for me on webpages. I can't stand reading black with colored or white text. Bad eyes I guess....
I've got near perfect vision and it burns my eyes out pretty quick.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #7

Even if it did save energy why bother ?

People have been buying energy saving light bulbs , refrigerators , freezers , Heaters , A/C units , Stoves , bla , bla , bla so the companies that produce said energy's profit margins slip so what happens ? THEY RAISE THE PRICE PER UNIT OF ENERGY and your right back to paying as much or more for the energy bills .

We have a Nuclear reactor for our electric , someone please tell me how the cost of keeping the thing running keep going up 20% every year because that's the rate increases they ask for every year and usually get them .

I must be delusional but I coulda sworn when they started building those things they claimed they would provide in the long run cheaper more dependable power . Yea right !!!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:18 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
I must be delusional but I coulda sworn when they started building those things they claimed they would provide in the long run cheaper more dependable power . Yea right !!!
You're not delusional - it's the same crock of sh!t they fed us when the State Lotteries got started - better roads, lower school taxes, etc. etc.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I wish I had an LCD. I have a 15" monitor that was probably new and relevant in 1991 on my work computer. shi' ite sucks man....

JD
LC what??? You mean my Tandy is not state of the art? Anyone know where I can find some formatted 5-1/4 floppys?

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...