Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Save Energy W/ Blackle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/save-energy-w-blackle-6276/)

Dillinger 08-15-2008 01:51 PM

Save Energy W/ Blackle
 
It's a Google powered search engine that saves energy by having a black screen instead of a white screen. Looks cool too. Take a look and see what you think.

Blackle

Apparently the use of black, instead of white, consumes considerably less energy. If the numbers on the home page are to be believed ( 771,956.330 Watt hours saved ) it seems to be working.

In any event, it's a different look for your homepage or search engine if you are interested.

JD

matt g 08-15-2008 03:58 PM

LCDs burn the same amount of juice regardless of what color they're producing.

Squirrel 08-15-2008 04:28 PM

Even black? How can it take energy to make black?

Dillinger 08-15-2008 05:54 PM

I wish I had an LCD. I have a 15" monitor that was probably new and relevant in 1991 on my work computer. shi' ite sucks man....

JD

ScottG 08-15-2008 07:01 PM

Save energy?! Hell JD I want to burn energy!! I want to burn, burn, burn babee!!! Save a tree, burn a hippy. But be careful, the aroma of burning wood is a reminder of campfires, pregame bonfires, and roasting marshmellows, burning a hippy just stinks like a mixture of tires and gas.

It may or may not be true about black screens, but they sure don't read well for me on webpages. I can't stand reading black with colored or white text. Bad eyes I guess....

matt g 08-15-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottG (Post 36313)
Save energy?! Hell JD I want to burn energy!! I want to burn, burn, burn babee!!! Save a tree, burn a hippy. But be careful, the aroma of burning wood is a reminder of campfires, pregame bonfires, and roasting marshmellows, burning a hippy just stinks like a mixture of tires and gas.

It may or may not be true about black screens, but they sure don't read well for me on webpages. I can't stand reading black with colored or white text. Bad eyes I guess....

I've got near perfect vision and it burns my eyes out pretty quick.

BigO01 08-15-2008 09:49 PM

Even if it did save energy why bother ?

People have been buying energy saving light bulbs , refrigerators , freezers , Heaters , A/C units , Stoves , bla , bla , bla so the companies that produce said energy's profit margins slip so what happens ? THEY RAISE THE PRICE PER UNIT OF ENERGY and your right back to paying as much or more for the energy bills .

We have a Nuclear reactor for our electric , someone please tell me how the cost of keeping the thing running keep going up 20% every year because that's the rate increases they ask for every year and usually get them .

I must be delusional but I coulda sworn when they started building those things they claimed they would provide in the long run cheaper more dependable power . Yea right !!!

RL357Mag 08-16-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigO01 (Post 36330)
I must be delusional but I coulda sworn when they started building those things they claimed they would provide in the long run cheaper more dependable power . Yea right !!!

You're not delusional - it's the same crock of sh!t they fed us when the State Lotteries got started - better roads, lower school taxes, etc. etc.

JWIII 08-16-2008 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 36308)
I wish I had an LCD. I have a 15" monitor that was probably new and relevant in 1991 on my work computer. shi' ite sucks man....

JD

LC what??? You mean my Tandy is not state of the art? Anyone know where I can find some formatted 5-1/4 floppys?


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:19 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.