Sausage Making- Its All About The Tools
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Sausage Making- Its All About The Tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8509 Times on 4925 Posts
Likes Given: 11059

Default Sausage Making- Its All About The Tools

So the other day we got a deer and decided to butcher it all out ourselves (gotta start sometime). Did an OK job and all, and probably as a result of our doing it ourselves we have probably more sausage meat than we would have had from the butcher. So we go about making our own sausage.

First hurdle: The "sausage grinder" we inherited from my in-laws is actually a tomato strainer (they look very similar when you just peek inside the box before storing it away).

Second hurdle: The meat grinder we did find doesn't have the sausage stuffer attachment, plus it goes on an old mixer that the electric motor has lost power on- that ain't going to work.

Third hurdle: Go to my buddy's house to pick up his grinder attachment that goes on a KitchenAid mixer (we have one of those, but his attachment is one of the old school Made in the USA aluminum ones, not the crappy plastic Chinese garbage they sell today) but he also does not have the sausage stuffing attachments (these are just tubes that fit on the output of the grinder and you put the sausage casing on the tube, as it fills up you twist it off and fill the next one).

So, on my "way home" (which means a wide detour down town) I stop by the Ace Hardware store hoping they might have the tubes. No go.

I call home and explain, offering to stop by the gourmet cooking store in town (Sur La Table) and see what they have. As I am driving over there they are on the computer and have called the store to ask advice and the gal at the store says they have a really good hand crank model that works like a charm for @ $40 http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-650648/Cucina-Pro-Meat-Grinder-with-Clamp .

The $40 grinder (made in China) gives us fits. The tolerances are way to wide and it recirculates the meat back up the intake when it gets any resistance. The pork fat gets warm and plugs everything up, basically the thing is a piece of crap.

So, we take my buddy's KitchenAid attachment and start grinding away- works like a charm! Grinds out about 10 lbs in no time at all. Then to stuff the casings we have to try the piece of crap from Sur la Table again. We got one single sausage made before it plugged up and started pumping back up the intake again.

So we put all of the bulk sausage we have made into the freezer so we can get the proper quality equipment.

Anyhow, my wife went down to return the piece of crap, my son has done some research and found the Lem company ( http://www.lemproducts.com/ ) which has some really affordable products that appear to be high quality. I found a local retailer and called them up and asked a bunch of questions. The gal I talked to makes her own sausage and was very helpful. She does have a small grinder/stuffer made by Weston and she believes that the Weston and Lem machines are made by the same manufacturer (unfortunately made in China like damned near everything else these days). It looks like a choice between the Lem electric countertop grinder for $120 http://www.lemproducts.com/product/4259/electric-meat-grinders or the Weston #8 hand crank grinder for $25. Obviously if price alone were the deciding factor I would go for the hand crank, plus the versatility of being able to make sausage without having to rely on electricity would be a plus.

I'll let you all know what happens next.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
So the other day we got a deer and decided to butcher it all out ourselves (gotta start sometime). Did an OK job and all, and probably as a result of our doing it ourselves we have probably more sausage meat than we would have had from the butcher. So we go about making our own sausage.

First hurdle: The "sausage grinder" we inherited from my in-laws is actually a tomato strainer (they look very similar when you just peek inside the box before storing it away).

Second hurdle: The meat grinder we did find doesn't have the sausage stuffer attachment, plus it goes on an old mixer that the electric motor has lost power on- that ain't going to work.

Third hurdle: Go to my buddy's house to pick up his grinder attachment that goes on a KitchenAid mixer (we have one of those, but his attachment is one of the old school Made in the USA aluminum ones, not the crappy plastic Chinese garbage they sell today) but he also does not have the sausage stuffing attachments (these are just tubes that fit on the output of the grinder and you put the sausage casing on the tube, as it fills up you twist it off and fill the next one).

So, on my "way home" (which means a wide detour down town) I stop by the Ace Hardware store hoping they might have the tubes. No go.

I call home and explain, offering to stop by the gourmet cooking store in town (Sur La Table) and see what they have. As I am driving over there they are on the computer and have called the store to ask advice and the gal at the store says they have a really good hand crank model that works like a charm for @ $40 http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-650648/Cucina-Pro-Meat-Grinder-with-Clamp .

The $40 grinder (made in China) gives us fits. The tolerances are way to wide and it recirculates the meat back up the intake when it gets any resistance. The pork fat gets warm and plugs everything up, basically the thing is a piece of crap.

So, we take my buddy's KitchenAid attachment and start grinding away- works like a charm! Grinds out about 10 lbs in no time at all. Then to stuff the casings we have to try the piece of crap from Sur la Table again. We got one single sausage made before it plugged up and started pumping back up the intake again.

So we put all of the bulk sausage we have made into the freezer so we can get the proper quality equipment.

Anyhow, my wife went down to return the piece of crap, my son has done some research and found the Lem company ( http://www.lemproducts.com/ ) which has some really affordable products that appear to be high quality. I found a local retailer and called them up and asked a bunch of questions. The gal I talked to makes her own sausage and was very helpful. She does have a small grinder/stuffer made by Weston and she believes that the Weston and Lem machines are made by the same manufacturer (unfortunately made in China like damned near everything else these days). It looks like a choice between the Lem electric countertop grinder for $120 http://www.lemproducts.com/product/4259/electric-meat-grinders or the Weston #8 hand crank grinder for $25. Obviously if price alone were the deciding factor I would go for the hand crank, plus the versatility of being able to make sausage without having to rely on electricity would be a plus.

I'll let you all know what happens next.
Wow you must really really like sausage. Like a guy who does not give up. Best of luck with your quest.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
Wow you must really really like sausage. Like a guy who does not give up. Best of luck with your quest.
Actually we do like sausage, and wild meat in general. Having 10 lbs of venison sausage does not last as long as you might think though.

The main motivation was that we thought we had everything, but kept running into the hurdles. If we quit halfway then the meat would have gone to waste. Can't have that!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When I want sausage made, it's easier for me to have the local butcher do it. $50 and it's ground into Italian and breakfast, packaged, ready for the freezer. I suppose I would reconsider about buying a grinder if I was having sausage made more frequently than I am right now.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
When I want sausage made, it's easier for me to have the local butcher do it. $50 and it's ground into Italian and breakfast, packaged, ready for the freezer. I suppose I would reconsider about buying a grinder if I was having sausage made more frequently than I am right now.
Considering that I can buy the hand crank grinder with the sausage attachments for $25 and the fact that I like doing it myself, it doesn't make sense to pay the butcher to do it. Plus I can tweak the recipe as I like. Its cheaper, I do it myself and I know exactly what goes into it. I think that's a win/win/win.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #6

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
LMAO. Reminds me of this old Kids in the Hall skit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiGRpm6Tf3I&feature=player_embedded#!