Safety violation and stupidity at the pawn shop
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Safety violation and stupidity at the pawn shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Safety violation and stupidity at the pawn shop

I like to browse the local pawn shops and see what I can see. Incidentally I came upon a Colt 1991A1. I asked the guy behind the counter if I could see it. Now I know they most likely clear them before they put them in there, but all I could tell was it was a .45 with a magazine in it.

He grabs it by the handle and pulls it out with his finger on the trigger and pointing right at me and holds it there for me to grab. At that time my eyes grew big and I stepped to the side rather quickly and .....I don't remember the noise I made, but it probably sounded like MeuGhlYatt!! "Please don't do that again." --"It's not loaded"--"I'm glad YOU'RE so sure!" I said.

The guy then lays it on the counter. I pick it up, point it down and away, remove the magazine and lock the slide back. This thing looked terrible. I saw some rust here and there and it looked like it had been through a garbage disposal. "750!.....What's your bottom dollar?" I asked. I know I've seen these very guns on gunbroker for less than 600 new. $650 was his bottom dollar...... ....I'm sure they'll still have it next year. I expect pawn prices to be high, but I would rather be kicked in the ball than buy a gun there.

I'm not going to that place again and I'll tell everyone to stay away as well if they have any sense.

How do you think you would have reacted to a gun being pointed at you. Should I have kicked him in the back of the face? I easily could have.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I like to browse the local pawn shops and see what I can see. Incidentally I came upon a Colt 1991A1. I asked the guy behind the counter if I could see it. Now I know they most likely clear them before they put them in there, but all I could tell was it was a .45 with a magazine in it.

He grabs it by the handle and pulls it out with his finger on the trigger and pointing right at me and holds it there for me to grab. At that time my eyes grew big and I stepped to the side rather quickly and .....I don't remember the noise I made, but it probably sounded like MeuGhlYatt!! "Please don't do that again." --"It's not loaded"--"I'm glad YOU'RE so sure!" I said.

The guy then lays it on the counter. I pick it up, point it down and away, remove the magazine and lock the slide back. This thing looked terrible. I saw some rust here and there and it looked like it had been through a garbage disposal. "750!.....What's your bottom dollar?" I asked. I know I've seen these very guns on gunbroker for less than 600 new. $650 was his bottom dollar...... ....I'm sure they'll still have it next year. I expect pawn prices to be high, but I would rather be kicked in the ball than buy a gun there.

I'm not going to that place again and I'll tell everyone to stay away as well if they have any sense.

How do you think you would have reacted to a gun being pointed at you. Should I have kicked him in the back of the face? I easily could have.
I would have reacted the same way and probably thrown in a reference to the number of people that are killed with "unloaded" firearms every year by knuckleheads like him that have no clue about firearms safety.

Common sense and etiquette dictate that you clear and lock any weapon before handing it to someone and NEVER point the muzzle in anyone's direction unless you intend to shoot them.

Any shop or dealer that lacks that basic knowledge probably has no clue about the condition or value of the gun and doesn't deserve your business anyway.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2989 Times on 1557 Posts
Likes Given: 277

I was in a pawn shop on business (I rarely go to them except to sieze stolen property). The girls that worked in there had no clue how to deal with guns. I offered and gave a quick class on ettiquette. They actually appreciated the new information. I doubt guys would have been open to such information.

Any shop that would employ a doofus like that does not deserve ANY business.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I vote kick to the head. I get squirrely if you point one at me.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I know what sound i would've made, but it would be censored here, hopefully. I could understand some doofus not clearing the piece, but i could NOT understand the doofus pointing it at me. I probably would've raised my arms & backed slowly out the door, after the sidestep. What an idjut.

I almost caught a .32 in the butt the other night, because a buddy's girlfriend was sure the ammo for the pistol was sitting on the table. FYI some of that Vietnamese furniture can take a hit pretty well.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OMG!

I agree with Orangello. I would have backed out carefully with my hands in the air while making some appropriate noises of my own, and would never set foot back in there.

I also agree that the price on the gun is crazy.

Like orangello said, "What an idjut."

Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
I vote kick to the head. I get squirrely if you point one at me.
I knew you would see it my way. It would have been something he remembered......or not?

If there was a camera there I would have drawn my cz75b while cartwheeling backwards and proceeded to shoot it out of his hands.

Seriously, what the heck? I've never been given a pistol that way. What a maroon!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Seriously, what the heck? I've never been given a pistol that way. What a maroon!

Hey Bro what do you expect? He .. works .. at .. a .. pawn .. shop.. they tend to not hire rocket scientist.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #9

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

About a year and a half ago my brother and I stopped at a pawn shop to look for a magazine for his Ruger Mark I. A customer asked the "gentleman" (term loosely used) about a used single shot .22 rifle behind the counter. He picked it up, handed it to him then pointed it at the ceiling just above the rifle cases and BAM! It had one shotshell loaded in it. We all jumped, there were a few shouts and 1 "Jesus Christ!". The guy behind the coutner started to yell at the customer all frantic as if he had not just handed him a loaded weapon with approximately 8 people in close vicinity.

End result - nice peppering of the ceiling corner and a reminder of safety first.

My brother and I still refer to that guy at the shop as "Ratshot". "Don't ratshot me", "any ratshot?", and many others... serves as a noun, verb, expletive - pretty versatile.

Last edited by Agent_H; 02-03-2010 at 12:58 AM.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3