Safe keeping
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Safe keeping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Safe keeping

I just had a question or two about here to keep all my guns and gear. Lately there have been a few break-ins in the neighborhood and I have begun to worry since the last incident occurred tight next door:| And not to mention my alarm was set of last week on both my garage and front door. As a precautionary measure I moved all of my gear and guns into the attic if you will of the house. It's not really an attic, it's just the space in the roof you can climb into by moving that one panne in the ceiling. And since here in Texas it does get pretty warm during the summer I was wondering if there was anythin I should be worried about that I havnt thought of yet. Any info and ideas will be greatly appreciated .... And no I don't have a safe yet because I just started buying guns about two ears ago

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 700 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

What part of Texas? Humidity could be an issue.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #3

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Page 6 if the link below , this might work for your needs . I have a plan for one of these on site work boxes in the near future , throw a cover over it like Bills wife does and it looks like a plain ol coffee table

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/quality-affordable-gun-safe-63359/index6.html

Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I also think humidity may be your worst problem. Coat them well with a good rust preventive/grease & they should be okay. When I quit hunting about 20+ years ago, I put a thick coat of grease in the barrels & on the outside of my rifles & shotguns. Sadly, I neglected them until just a few years ago & expected to find them in pretty bad shape. But, got a pleasant surprise, no rust, even from this east Texas humidity. They were in soft cases also which might have helped. You can also get 'dryer packs' that you could put in the box/case with them. Of course, if you are still shooting them, may be some trouble having to clean the grease out everytime you take them to shoot.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

I live in San Antonio and I've been here so long I can't really tell if it's humid or not. Its just hot lol. What would be a reasonable price to pay for a safe?

Old 05-13-2012, 04:08 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8687 Times on 5023 Posts
Likes Given: 11290

Don't go cheap on your safe. The bad guys can open them up pretty easy. Read the other thread Purehavoc referred to. I mentioned a buddy of mine who recently passed on and I am helping his wife with his stuff. He didn't leave anybody the combo to his electronic lock safe so we called the company, they sent out a tech (for $350!!!) and he had the combo changed in seconds with his smartphone. If it can be done by a smartphone you can bet your gun collection the bad guys have that info and will be hacking into safes in no time at all. The job box sounds like a perfect solution because it uses padlocks and if you fill it with a half ton of stuff ain't nobody going to move it out of the house.

(edit) Make sure the floor can handle the weight of whatever you plan on doing.

Last edited by Vikingdad; 05-13-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with the job box. I've been drafting up some plans for one of those bad boys.

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #8

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Krisko ,
My buddy went to Menards in Champaign today and bought a 48" long job box it was yellow $199 . This is the route he went with because he cant swing a $1000 safe right now and he made a great choice , it is long enough for all the stuff he has and works perfect , He is having his GF make a nice cover for it . My safe is getting very full and this is the route Im going to take to keep the ones I want in the house .

Old 05-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #9

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

http://www.libertysafe.com/

Liberty Safes has some great gunsafes. The one I have cost around $600 and is called the Centurion.

It will hold 4 longuns (rifles and shotguns) and several handguns (pistols and revolvers) plus your camera, your wife's jewelry, your binos and your laser range finder.
liberty-centurion.jpg  

Old 05-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #10

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
Krisko ,
My buddy went to Menards in Champaign today and bought a 48" long job box it was yellow $199 . This is the route he went with because he cant swing a $1000 safe right now and he made a great choice , it is long enough for all the stuff he has and works perfect , He is having his GF make a nice cover for it . My safe is getting very full and this is the route Im going to take to keep the ones I want in the house .
I'll have to go check those out today. Might have to invest my next drill check in to one! Although, personally i'd prefer a little longer than 48", but ****, thats still a good deal.

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.