Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > sad story...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default sad story...

So, my friend's brother-in-law works at a pawn shop. He gets a lot of deals on firearms. He sees all sorts of stuff come in. I was told this sad story tonight...

Recently, a guy brings in a firearm to sell to the pawn shop. A clerk takes it in for $250. The clerk (which works at the other of the two pawn shop locations) calls the brother-in-law of my friend to ask him if he wanted to purchase this firearm before they put it out on the shelf. He knows the brother-in-law collects classic firearms...

The brother-in-law doesn't want to drive all the way over to the other location for a dud, so he asks what it is. The clerk says it's a BAR. Thinking it might be a regular, modern day Browning BAR (they have a lot of models labeled with BAR, not just the military rifle), he asks some other details. From the sound of it, this is a genuine WWII BAR.

The brother-in-law races over to the pawn shop's other location to see it and buy it. When he gets there, he finds out it IS a BAR, but it is a full auto BAR and was not registered by the 1986 cut-off date. The clerk who took it in had no idea it was even class III. He wouldn't have been allowed to take in the FA BAR if he had known.

Not wanting to get the store and himself in a heap of BATF trouble, they call the batf boys and have them take it away.

Another classic firearm is now gone for good. It is so sad to think that BAR will be destroyed. I said to my friend that his brother-in-law should've bought it and immediately destroyed the receiver. The parts alone are worth three times that $250 price tag.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

That is not sad, it is a HORROR STORY!

Oh, the humanity!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Horrible! I will have nightmares about this...

Old 03-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Gut wrenching. Thats a sad story man. Is there any way they could have saved it from the Gestapo?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 03-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Gut wrenching. Thats a sad story man. Is there any way they could have saved it from the Gestapo?
Oh, there are ways, but none of them legal. I don't even think they could have sold it to a class III dealer / collector if they themselves didn't have a Class III and the weapon was never registered.

That is a sad, sad tale right there. Who the hell is that hard up for $250?!

SERIOUSLY - IF YOU'RE OUT THERE, WITH A F/A BAR AND NEED $250 - CALL ME!!!

JD

Old 03-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I need to start a pawn shop...

Old 03-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I can see the commercial now. J.D. is walking past a rack of rusty dusty Stens, in a Sally Struthers wig, sobbing.

"Won't you take just a minute of your time to adopt one of these needy firearms?"

"For just $250, less than the price of 4 cups of coffee at Starbucks, you could give one of these children the care it takes to stop further barrel pitting."

Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
...Who the hell is that hard up for $250?!
I don't think the person selling it, nor the clerk who took it in had any idea what it was worth (or that it wasn't legal). I think I would've purchased it and immediately broken it down and destroyed the receiver. It was taken in by the pawn shop as a semi-only, so the paperwork would've looked legit. I know, technically this would've been against the law, but I would've made it a legal parts kit before nightfall...

Old 03-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
I don't think the person selling it, nor the clerk who took it in had any idea what it was worth (or that it wasn't legal). I think I would've purchased it and immediately broken it down and destroyed the receiver. It was taken in by the pawn shop as a semi-only, so the paperwork would've looked legit. I know, technically this would've been against the law, but I would've made it a legal parts kit before nightfall...
FTF would never condone such behavior -

but I know where you are coming from & I like it... LOL

Old 03-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I would have had a hard time doing the right thing in that situation.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.