Sad state of the sport of boxing.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Sad state of the sport of boxing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Sad state of the sport of boxing.

I grew up in a family of boxing fans. I remember when there was only one "world champion" in each weight division and championship fights were on regular television on a regular basis. The Heavyweight Championship was maybe the greatest sports title of all of them. Now boxing is a joke. There are several so-called "world champions" in each division. Most people, even hardcore sports fans, don't know who even one of the heavyweight champions are, nor do they care. Fans have to pay big bucks to see any championship fights on pay-per-view. Even non-championship fights are on pay-per-view. Greed and corruption by the promoters has ruined this once-noble sport. There was a time when fighters competed honorably, as this clip shows. This is what I consider the best round of heavyweight boxing ever, and it was on free TV.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #2

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

You're 100% correct about that...Pacqiao losing the other night may have been the straw that broke the camel's back...(I say he was robbed). The sweet science will never be the same and now we have this MMA crap...[ducks flying fruit and beer cans]...

We can all thank Don King and the Federation's outright refusal to unite all the belts.

Gone are the days of Ali/Norton/Foreman/Frazier...(never liked Larry Holmes). No more Hagler/Leonard/Hearns, as Roberto Duran would say...no mas, no mas.

Most vicious fight I ever saw was Ray (Boom Boom) Mancini vs. Doo Koo Kim...tragic outcome but daaaaaaaamn what a fight.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #3

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Yep MMA is taking over. Seams that boxing is just fading away.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8761 Times on 5235 Posts
Likes Given: 11622

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Gone are the days of Ali/Norton/Foreman/Frazier...(never liked Larry Holmes). No more Hagler/Leonard/Hearns, as Roberto Duran would say...no mas, no mas.
Yes, this.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #5

Liked 1101 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Boxing has been gone for a long time now!!! Your new boxing is MMA. I use to watch boxing when Tyson was around. I always loved watching Hasr/Leonard fight each other! I for one can not tell you one boxing champ!!! The Paquio fight was a lie, but maybe that was revenge for when "Sweet Pea" kicked the crap out of Chavez down in Mexico and didn't get the victory!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #6

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
Boxing has been gone for a long time now!!! Your new boxing is MMA. I use to watch boxing when Tyson was around. I always loved watching Hasr/Leonard fight each other! I for one can not tell you one boxing champ!!! The Paquio fight was a lie, but maybe that was revenge for when "Sweet Pea" kicked the crap out of Chavez down in Mexico and didn't get the victory!!!!!!!
Oh....I remember that fight well. Sweet Pea gave Chavez a boxing lesson all night long. At the end of the fight Chavez's head was hanging down in the look of defeat. They called this fight a draw, which was an absolute injustice and disgrace. Well, they were fighting in San Antonio, which might have had something to do with the decision.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #7

Liked 1101 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf

Oh....I remember that fight well. Sweet Pea gave Chavez a boxing lesson all night long. At the end of the fight Chavez's head was hanging down in the look of defeat. They called this fight a draw, which was an absolute injustice and disgrace. Well, they were fighting in San Antonio, which might have had something to do with the decision.
Oh I thought it was in Mexico, my fault!! Yea Sweet Pea whooped him up and down!!! That's why I like what Dana White says in the UFC "Don't let it go to the judges cards!!!"