Sacrifices Made for Independence
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Sacrifices Made for Independence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 05:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Sacrifices Made for Independence

---The 4th of July - Why we Celebrate---

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence ?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.
Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured. Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown , Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

People get the government they deserve.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2009, 02:45 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I never knew all this. Always wondered, though. Thanks for bringing it to light and sharing.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #3

Good find Dune! I wonder how many Americans today would make such sacrifices?

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 07-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #4

Here is a link to an article that gives a detailed critique of this piece:

snopes.com: Signers of Declaration of Independence

While not all the claims are strictly true, that does not subtract from the greater truth that the signers were very brave and faced considerable danger for doing what they did.

Regards, Canis

Old 07-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I gotta say, considering that the group was almost 50% lawyers, that is even more impressive; lawyers must have changed a good bit over the years.

Bismark, thanks for fighting on behalf of those of us who didn't have to because you did.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck View Post
I too have faught and bled for America, though in a war that I deem to be less then noble to say the least. Still, I do support the men fighting it; may everyone of them return home alive.
Roger that! Soldiers often must follow orders that they may have mixed concerns about, but their respect, discipline, and honor carry it through mission accomplishment.

Good post and educational Dune.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Great post. I never knew they had it that bad. I look forward to serving my country, and thanks to all who have served or are serving.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

All were great men. All are rolling over in their graves.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Bismark:

Thank you for your service. Thank you for your lost blood, shed in the nation's service, regardless how you feel about the conflict now. I have done nothing as noble, and I respect your sacrifice.

Greatest Regards,

TXnorton