Sabots

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Sabots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 04:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sabots

I'm doing an investigation into an old unsolved murder and I wonder if anyone here can help me with something. If you use a sabot, will there be rifling marks left on the bullet? As I understand it, a sabot protects the bullet from contact with the inside of the barrel so no rifling marks are left. If you could send me a message at mahicanman@yahoo.com I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #2

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg0230 View Post
I'm doing an investigation into an old unsolved murder and I wonder if anyone here can help me with something. If you use a sabot, will there be rifling marks left on the bullet? As I understand it, a sabot protects the bullet from contact with the inside of the barrel so no rifling marks are left. If you could send me a message at mahicanman@yahoo.com I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
WELCOME Zogg0230, to the FTF.

Is the subject weapon a rifled barrel gun or a smooth bore shotgun?

Physics dictate that a signature may be 'stamped' on the projectile.

Get your 'expert' witness' lined up and cash-up for the forensics!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-06-2009, 05:43 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

There will not be rifling marks in he same sense as a full caliber projectile will have. Depending on the composition of the sabot, composition of the sub caliber bullet, and degree of tightnes of the two in comparison to the barrel, there may be marks that can be identified just not rifling marks.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
There will not be rifling marks in he same sense as a full caliber projectile will have. Depending on the composition of the sabot, composition of the sub caliber bullet, and degree of tightnes of the two in comparison to the barrel, there may be marks that can be identified just not rifling marks.
There ya go, a pro with experience and knowledge. Actually, I think both Cane and Robo can now ask for a consulting fee.

You could give a little more details, Zogg. I picture the firearm as a rifled shotgun or rifled muzzleloader.

Welcome, by the way.