S.Y.G.A.-What is it? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > S.Y.G.A.-What is it?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

beau, an arms length is the range where your freedom of religion/speech ends as it applies to a person who is not wanting to hear what you are saying. After that it's a matter of civil law.

If the world was "live and let live", we'd have no problems

IMO, if money is the root of all evil, violence in the name of religion or the non-belief in it is running a close second.

Rodney King summed it all up....."can't we all just get along"? Sorry Rodney, only in a perfect world, and it's not on this planet .............markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Last edited by markerdown; 09-23-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #42

Quote:
beau, an arms length is the range where your freedom of religion/speech ends as it applies to a person who is not wanting to hear what you are saying. After that it's a matter of civil law.
I know, but different terms can mean different things to different people, so I wasn't sure. The way I knew it was, "your right to express your opinion (religious, or otherwise) ends at the point of the other person's nose."

Which is why I brought up the '3 points' in my post. I'm not sure I can agree about the 'not wanting to hear...' part-since by definition an argument involves an opposing viewpoint. As you said, (or intimated)-when an argument becomes a fistfight...

I agree with what you said about the 'King philosophy' though.

Thanks, Sir-

Last edited by themanbeau; 09-23-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Added comment.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanbeau View Post
Not exactly sure what the 'arms length' part means...let me explain a few (quick) points:

!) Biblical Christianity is not a 'religion', per se. It is about a (God) man, and our relationship to him, be it good, bad, or non-existent.

it is a religion in the fact that some individuals don't believe in the existance of this God you speak of at all

2) Bible Christianity is NOTHING like religions such as Islam, which (in reality) preach, 'convert, or die'. We are forbidden (in scripture) from even laying a hand on another, let alone 'making' them 'convert'.

preaching that if you don't convert you will die in fire and damnation during the rapture is just as bad. religion should never be thrust in front of someone. It should be something an individual finds in their own time

3) It is also not about, "I'll have pie in the sky, while you stay here, and die." We have a 'duty' (motivated by love, not just obligation) to tell others about God's love, and their need for him/it. That's all-each is free to accept, or reject-that is between him/her, and God.

your duty interferes with others lives, and while i fully respect the freedom to worship as you choose and the freedom of speech I really don't believe that you should ever ever tell me what i NEED

Clarified, I hope-
I firmly believe there is no right or wrong in religion, just everyone finding their own way in a world filled with uncertain times.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #44

Likes Given: 2

I think you are all missing my point entirely, my argument includes all aspects religion, including athiest or non-religious beliefs. A war because one believes and another doesn't is still a war of religion. If nobody believed all we would have to argue about is money, land and women. OR we might have just destroyed each other because everyone would go crazy without moral obligations to their God(s). But that is a different argument.....

The main argument being that if we didn't have religion.....we wouldn't need a God........

As far as China and Russia's cannibalistic domestic policy goes. Most of those murders were actually perpetrated as an attack on religion, therefore they were because of religion.

Here's Wikipedia's take on Stalin's approach to religion, its not completely accurate but close:

"Stalin's role in the fortunes of the Russian Orthodox Church is complex. Continuous persecution in the 1930s resulted in its near-extinction: by 1939, active parishes numbered in the low hundreds (down from 54,000 in 1917), many churches had been leveled, and tens of thousands of priests, monks and nuns were persecuted and killed. Over 100,000 were shot during the purges of 1937–1938.[68] During World War II, the Church was allowed a revival as a patriotic organization, after the NKVD had recruited the new metropolitan, the first after the revolution, as a secret agent. Thousands of parishes were reactivated until a further round of suppression in Khrushchev's time. The Russian Orthodox Church Synod's recognition of the Soviet government and of Stalin personally led to a schism with the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia.

Just days before Stalin's death, certain religious sects were outlawed and persecuted. Many religions popular in the ethnic regions of the Soviet Union including the Roman Catholic Church, Uniats, Baptists, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, etc. underwent ordeals similar to the Orthodox churches in other parts: thousands of monks were persecuted, and hundreds of churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, sacred monuments, monasteries and other religious buildings were razed."

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 09-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #45

Default S.y.g.a.,,,

Quote:
I think you are all missing my point entirely, my argument includes all aspects religion, including athiest or non-religious beliefs.
Good point-I often find atheists to be the most non-tolerant 'believers' of all. What was that comment someone made to be about 'thinning the herd'? Well, I'm not part of any 'herd' except the human race. I would remind anyone who
would like to 'thin' me that I am not a Jew (and no, I don't hate or even dislike Jews, my Savior was one)-and this is not Germany, and this is not the 1930's, and I am ARMED, and prepared to defend myself, if needed.

GOT THAT?!

Mods-

Would you PLEASE close this/my thread-I think I have MORE than answered the original question!

Thank you.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #46

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Good point-I often find atheists to be the most non-tolerant 'believers' of all. What was that comment someone made to be about 'thinning the herd'? Well, I'm not part of any 'herd' except the human race. I would remind anyone who
would like to 'thin' me that I am not a Jew (and no, I don't hate or even dislike Jews, my Savior was one)-and this is not Germany, and this is not the 1930's, and I am ARMED, and prepared to defend myself, if needed.

GOT THAT?!

Mods-

Would you PLEASE close this/my thread-I think I have MORE than answered the original question!

Thank you.
Thinning the herd has nothing to do with religion, there are plenty reasons to thin the gene pool.

EXAMPLE:

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Last edited by DrGonzo11; 09-23-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #47

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
Thinning the herd has nothing to do with religion, there are plenty reasons to thin the gene pool.

EXAMPLE:

+10 Gonzo. I never even considered the thinning of the herd deal a religious one. Good post, brother.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #48

You're alright in my book, Beau.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #49

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:

GOT THAT?!

Mods-

Thank you.
I think you brought the heat, how about stayin' in the kitchen?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Closed Thread