The Russia/Georgia conflict and the United States?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Russia/Georgia conflict and the United States?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default The Russia/Georgia conflict and the United States?

I was listening to President Bush this morning on the conflict with Russia and Georgia. It got me thinking about what it would be like if our military got involved and began to defend georgia. Would it be an all out war? Would Russia pull out? Would other countries get involved? What would change with the War On Terror? Ok guys, what do you think?

"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." ~ Elmer Davis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

It's really hard to say.

If the Russian army is really weak and undersupplied and using aged equipment, they really wouldn't stand a chance against any western power. I don't know anything about their tactics, but human wave attacks and rolling armor just might not be successful against our and western Europe's air power.

At this time of supposed cease fire, I don't see that we can really do anything about getting South Ossetia back for Georgia. It's probably a lost cause. It was perfidious planning by Russia to set it all up, but it's a fait accompli. Not much we can do I think to make them leave SO.

However, with reports of advancing Russian troops headed into Georgia proper, I believe President Bush is right in stating that Putin must remove the troops. Whether Europe will stand with us or not in demanding this remains to be seen. There are so many cowardly politicians who refuse to do anything because it might hurt their positions - and that is their supreme motivator, not standing up for right. Seeking accommodation isn't completely bad, but we already know that the intentions towards the other former Soviet satellite countries are not good. There has already been talk by Russian officials about "punishing" Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and other states for their condemnation of the attacks on Georgia. If we don't stand strong on the "extracurricular" activities of the invading troops, Eastern Europe will be again bullied and silenced by Russian menacing.

Now, I'm not mil, or ex-mil, or involved in intelligence for the government so I don't know everything that happens and why. I do however, know the difference between good and evil. It seems very few people in power want to stand for good these days and against evil. So many sell outs: Oil for Food, Iranian nukes, no border controls, etc. We need a nation of founders as our leaders and except for a few courageous voices we have a government class of venal, grasping, rent seeking, pettifogging, useless, corrupt thugs who love to engage in every vice and immorality imaginable, and they arrogantly demand that we sacrifice while they do nothing but engorge themselves on our production.

If we and Europe do stand strong and force Russia back, then perhaps the terror supporting countries might see us as that proverbial strong horse that they like to back. A coup such as that for President Bush may turn the fence sitters into at least grudging allies in eliminating terrorists and their support networks. But it ain't gonna happen if we jaw jaw jaw without the possibility of coercion on the table. Churchill said Jaw jaw is preferable to war war, but if there's no credible threat of war war, jaw jaw is just blowing hot air. Good enough to blow up a balloon, but worthless in putting out flames.

9x18=Makarov

Old 08-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #3

We should not get involved and we are not in any position to do so!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
Please elaborate to aid in our discussion.

9x18=Makarov

Old 08-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
If Russia is just going for an energy grab by taking control of Georgia's natural gas and oil pipeline(s) to the Mediterranean, it may be very bad news for Europe. Russia's economy isn't doing well, and Putin's plan may be to squeeze anyone he can for more money.

As for whether or not we could take on Russia given our presence in Afghanistan and Iraq, that's a good question. Will Russia take over the Ukraine next? Would China get involved? Would any European nations put up any sizable forces to help us?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Georgia has been a strong ally to the US in our fight with Iraq. For such a small nation to partner with Democracy is commendable and a welcome change, especially considering their proximity to the biggest bully on the block. A war with Russia would not be a good thing, particularly at the present moment, but Putin certainly knew what our response would be. This will be a test of face-saving which will demonstrate our commitment to, or alienation of, our allies. We almost blew it with Taiwan, I hope we don't show weakness now. Russia is testing our resolve, much the way they did during the Cuban Missile crisis. Any show of weakness on the part of the US will be a severe blow to our standing as a world leader, and will probably embolden our enemies. If this country ever needed another Ronald Reagan, it is now.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-14-2008 at 12:25 AM.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #7

I think we need to draw a line somewhere, not nessesarily hith Georgia, but somewhere. Like Ukraine. Russia we may not be able to send infantry, but we probobly can send heavy bombers, and a significant part of our navy to pressure Russia with. It would realy help if we could get these countries into NATO.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:54 AM   #8

To me I think it would turn into a WWIII if the US got involved in the war. I heard today that Russia has now turned their eyes to parts of Ukraine where they're threatening to invade. History always repeats itself and unless we can learn from our mistakes in the past we are doomed to repeat them in the future. This is like WWI. It started with one big country and one small country. What was supposed to be an isolated war turned into a world war when European alliances screwed everything and made it worse. If we get tied up in alliances we're going to get pulled into a huge war. We should also learn from the cold war. We can't make the same mistakes we made back then. History always repeats itself and unless we can learn from our mistakes in the past we are doomed to repeat them in the future.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick214 View Post
To me I think it would turn into a WWIII if the US got involved in the war.

+1... I think China would back Russia in this conflict; if that happened most certainly a World War would erupt.

However I do think would we should help Georgia, they are our allies.

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 08-14-2008, 05:57 AM   #10

In this case the best thing to do might be to do nothing at all.