Rules for a Gunfight
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Rules for a Gunfight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Rules for a Gunfight

Just saw this again and thought it was worth posting.

Rules for a Gunfight

1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap - life is expensive.

3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. "All skill is in vain when an Angel blows the powder from the flintlock of your musket."

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

11. Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. Have a plan.

13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.

14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

16. Don't drop your guard.

17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.)

19. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.

23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

24. Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than "4".

25. You can't miss fast enough to win.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2010, 04:32 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Hey # 21 sounds familiar?

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-09-2010, 04:39 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Just saw this again and thought it was worth posting.

Rules for a Gunfight

1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap - life is expensive.

3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. "All skill is in vain when an Angel blows the powder from the flintlock of your musket."

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

11. Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. Have a plan.

13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.

14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

16. Don't drop your guard.

17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.)

19. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.

23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

24. Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than "4".

25. You can't miss fast enough to win.
Great stuff but there is much more:

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.

1. Never be unarmed.

This is the law:
  • The purpose of fighting is to win.
  • There is no possible victory in defense.
  • The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
  • The final weapon is the brain.
  • All else is supplemental.
- John Steinbeck

Cane
  • Drop the one with the shotgun first.
  • Say nothing afterwards but the Seven Magic Words: "I'd like to speak with my attorney."
  • Professionals are predictable, it's the amateurs that are dangerous.
  • Anything you do can get you shot, including nothing.
  • If your opponents didn't have the courtesy to "Count Off!" before beginning, assume that there's one more somewhere.
  • When the cops pull up, think fast and move slow.
  • Pay attention to where your shots fall.
  • "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
  • Rules of drawing, If you're the bad guy, draw & shoot first. If you're the good guy, draw second and shoot first.
  • Never turn your back on an armed bad guy, even if he's down.
  • Rules of wounds, A "sucking chest wound" is nature's way of telling you to slow down. If you're bleeding to death, say something witty. If you're actually dying, say something deep.
  • Never assume your opponent is out of ammo.
  • Bring lots of ammo.
  • In combat, you will be scared. You will have a tendency to shoot high. Be aware of this and aim low.
  • Rules of quitting, Don't quit just because you're hit; GET EVEN! Never quit, period. There is no prize for second place.
  • There's no such thing as "unfair advantage."
  • He who lives to run away will live to run another day (the best strategy is being somewhere else).

More Caneisms:
  • Use a gun that works every time. "All skill is in vain when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
  • "If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly."
  • Carry the same gun in the same place all the time.
  • "Speed's fine, but accuracy is final."
  • BEFORE YOU QUIT THE FIGHT, MAKE SURE THE FIGHT'S OVER.
  • YOU WILL START A GUNFIGHT AT A DISADVANTAGE; SEIZE THE INITIATIVE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
  • If you do get into a gunfight, it will probably be with a person that has already made up his mind to kill anyone who gets in his way. You don't go to work everyday thinking, "I'll kill anyone who gets in my way". Therefore, the bad guy has an advantage. You can take it away from him very early in the fight if you use good tactics and good shooting.
  • THE FIRST GUY TO SCORE A GOOD HIT USUALLY WINS.
  • WYATT EARP WAS A MORON; SEEK COVER AND USE IT.
  • FIRE 'TIL THE FELON FALLS.
  • If you're shooting, it's to stop a deadly attack. Do not stop firing until the assailant's ability to hurt you or others has ended. Don't fire to wound or kill. Fire to STOP.
  • The primary purpose of your side arm is to get you to your shotgun.
  • Anyone that runs is an enemy, the ones that stand still are well disciplined enemy.
  • "You can say ‘stop’ or ‘alto’ or use any other word you think will work, but I’ve found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone’s head is pretty much the universal language."
  • "You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."
  • Keep shooting until the threat no longer exists; then stay sharp until somebody with a badge tells you to freeze.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-09-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Good stuff Cane & Jack.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I like Clint's adage of "Don't stop shooting til you think he's dead, stop when he thinks he's dead." (my apologies to Clint if I did not get it exact)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Some very wise statements from the forum geezers. Thank you gents.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #7

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

opaww's rules

1. Know your weapons you carry and know how to use them.
2. Know where you are going and how to get the hell out of there.
3. Don’t go to known areas of trouble, unless you absolutely have to.
4. Don’t mix alcohol and weapons, (Stay sober).
5. Stay alert of your surroundings and people.
6. Avoid all possible confrontations if possible, (If you cannot then shoot if necessary without hesitation).
7. Never underestimate your appoint
8. When driving make sure you can access your weapon easily.
9. When driving I don’t listen to music, nor talk on a cell phone it is distracting.
10. Walk with confidence, (most victims are so because they look lost, confused, or scared).

It has kept me alive this long although some people tend to think I been dead for a long time, I can assure them I am still kicking.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well expressed Men

The only thing I would add is

Hesitation is the moment between when you where here and when you are gone
Reaction is the moment between when they were here and when they are gone
Practice, practice and practice some more

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Thanks for the great post fellas, it was enjoyable.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png