Rule one of firearms - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Rule one of firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 02:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Anyone ever have a gun store clerk NOT clear a weapon before handing it to you? Happened to me at a small local shop. I just seemed so irresponsible and unprofessional to me that he handed me a weapon without clearing it. Hell, he didn't even remove the magazine.

I don't go back to that shop. I'm just not comfortable there.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:12 AM   #12

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Excellent points all...as someone once told me when going over the 4 basic steps of firearms safety; cemeteries are full of people killed by "unloaded" guns.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-17-2010, 04:31 AM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default The second most important First Rule..

I am as drilled as most anyone around of the importance of clearing a firearm prior to any handling. With that said, I believe in the rule "Never point a firearm at anything that you do not intend to shoot" There are very few people who have been around firearms for a lot of years that have not had an accidental discharge of some kind. The direction that a barrel is pointed is critical during ANY handling of a firearm. Most on these boards will not admit accidents, but during my 40 years of firearms usage, I have had three accidental discharges--2 out of 3 did no personal damage--We will NOT discuss the Third!!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 01-17-2010, 04:51 AM   #14

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Excellent post, spot on +100; c3!!

In my first CCW class the instructor held up a loaded (armed) mouse trap and stated, "Look at my new pistol"; then handed it to the first person in the class and told them to pass it around.

Yup, every person in the class accepted it and passed it to the next. Being last, I took it from my buddy, disarmed it and took it to the instructor.

I'm sure had it been a pistol, folks would have checked it early on, but it was a lesson they won't ever forget!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #15

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Default The second most important First Rule..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
There are very few people who have been around firearms for a lot of years that have not had an accidental discharge of some kind.
Quoted for truth.
Fortunately the few AD's I have experienced only resulted in the shot being off center of my intended target. Even though I was mostly lined up on target and ready to shoot, having the gun fire before you intend it to - is an unsettling experience. (A very light trigger pull that breaks before you expect it to...)

After you experience one AD, you don't forget it. But it doesn't guarantee it won't happen again.

VERY good point BB!

Old 01-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #16

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Excellent post, spot on +100; c3!!

In my first CCW class the instructor held up a loaded (armed) mouse trap and stated, "Look at my new pistol"; then handed it to the first person in the class and told them to pass it around.

Yup, every person in the class accepted it and passed it to the next. Being last, I took it from my buddy, disarmed it and took it to the instructor.

I'm sure had it been a pistol, folks would have checked it early on, but it was a lesson they won't ever forget!

Dune, I like that! can I use it in my training program?

Old 01-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #17

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Everyone no matter how well trained or attentive to detail will someday have a brain fart. That being said everyone should ALWAYS strive for perfection and never, ever, hand or accept a weapon without making sure it is unloaded and in a safe condition.

You would not believe what a 45acp will do to a Mr. Coffee with a full pot of coffee,,, took me an hour to clean the kitchen and wife would not let me patch the hole in the wall as a reminder, she even put a frame around it. (oh yeah, not Linda this was my 2nd wife)

Old 01-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was reading over this thread again and I had to ask myself. Am I the only one who make an effort to hand a weapon off with the slide racked back or cylinder open? This way, the weapon can't be fired no matter what.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #19

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default You are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I was reading over this thread again and I had to ask myself. Am I the only one who make an effort to hand a weapon off with the slide racked back or cylinder open? This way, the weapon can't be fired no matter what.
You're right Spitty. The ONLY way to present a weapon to another is in the open position. That way, you know-they know+the world knows, that the weapon is cleared..

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post

We would get chewed out by the RO if anyone didn't do this...rank newbies get one (or maybe two at the outside) friendly warnings before he starts to crackdown. Put the gun on the 'safe area' table - slide open. Unholster for any reason - slide open. Hand off to anyone - slide open.

Hopefully, that way it gets to be an automatic reflex.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D