Ruger's customer service is AWESOME ....S&W, not so awesome
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ruger's customer service is AWESOME ....S&W, not so awesome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Ruger's customer service is AWESOME ....S&W, not so awesome

Some of you may have seen my post where the ejector housing completely seperated from my Super Blackhawk, threaded post and all.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/ar15-outing-exploding-ruger-41599/

I decided to send it back to Ruger for repair. 4 days after I shipped it I get a post card letting me know they have recieved it. The post card gave the model, serial number and a transaction number should I want to call and check on the progress. They also mailed me the gun sock I shipped it in with a note saying they would return in properly protected and their policy is to not store customer's items.
Approximately 3 weeks from the time I shipped it to them my pistol arrives in a Ruger box, same box you would get if you bought one new with a new ejector housing installed and a note stating they have inspected and test fired the gun and it is in fine working order. They also replaced my wolfe spring kit with new factory springs but they sent the wolfe springs back to me! One top of that they even cleaned the light rust marks off the hammer from the previous owners use/lack of care and it looks like new! The pistol came back to me comletely repaired and in better cosmetic shape then when I sent it to them. Keep in mind I didn't buy this gun new, I have no idea how many times it changed hands since it was built in 1973 and all was done at no cost to me, I only had to pay to ship it to them.

I also sent my S&W model 19 back to them because it was having some lock up issues. Couple of weeks after I sent it to them I never heard anything so I called. They had it but had not looked at it yet. Couple weeks go by so I call again, they checked it and it would be $76.xx to repair it. They said they were going to mail me a statement of all that would be repaired so I waited for that statement so I could clearly review it. I got the statement and they missed something I wanted them to check so I called. The person I talked to didn't know but said he would have one of the smiths call me....never heard anything. I called back and talked to a different person but gave them the green light for the repair and paid over the phone. I was not impressed with this person at all. He kept telling me my gun was 30 years old and I shouldn't be worried about it and blah, blah, blah....It's a model 19, one of the sweetest revolvers your company ever made and I want it fixed!!
Several weeks pass and finally my 19 shows up(same day as my Ruger). I'm happy with the repair, they also tested the gun and gave me a target with a very nice 6 round group but the process from when it left to when I got it back was not nearly as pleasant.

YMMV but I just wanted to share my recent experiences with 2 large manufacturers of quality firearms. Both weapons were repaired well but don't get in a hurry to get your S&W back. I'm so happy my Ruger is back in plenty of time to work up a load for deer season!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

This is gonna sound like a n00b question, but what is YMMV?

O'an I'm glad you got your stuff fixed. Makes me glad I don't own a S&W right now.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Your Mileage May Vary...

Not trying to bash S&W at all, their customer service was OK(other then that one guy) but slow.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Your Mileage May Vary...

Not trying to bash S&W at all, their customer service was OK(other then that one guy) but slow.
OIC.

Well at least they got it fixed, but they shouldn't have told you you shouldn't be worried about an old gun. That's un-professional IMO.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #5

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 788

Who cares if its a old gun?? They agreed to fix it and your paying them good money... I would think they should be proud that someone had a 30 yr old gun and liked it enough to have it fixed...

Old 05-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
This is gonna sound like a n00b question, but what is YMMV?
Just for future reference;

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Just for future reference;

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here
Thanks, Cane!

Old 05-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Why did S&W charge for repairs? Lifetime warranty, and all that. I've never been charged by them for any service.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Why did S&W charge for repairs? Lifetime warranty, and all that. I've never been charged by them for any service.
Don't know but they charged me.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Don't know but they charged me.
Hmm...That blows. Maybe they have changed their service policy.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."