Ruger .44 "Assault" rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ruger .44 "Assault" rifle

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3170 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Yeah, among many Models they do not produce any longer, but you can't have it all, right? They made a Carbine in handgun caliber, too bad they can't make a Mini in 9MM, esp. Since that design has proven itself reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 03-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #12

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I can't understand why they discontinued this model either, as almost everything I have heard about it is very positive, backed up by my experience shooting mine.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #13

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Until recently, I hadn't seen a Ruger 44mag auto or lever gun for years. They're starting to show up at gun shows around here. Prices? Guess it depends how bad you want one. Doubt seriously the military would ever adopt something like the Ruger, even if it was still in production. A whole new platform requiring armorers, parts and ammo. The Army had a tough enough time getting back up to speed with the M-14 when soldiers started taking them to Iraq.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1955 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I have of the original Ruger .44 magnum carbine, the" Deerstalker" and aside from using it for hunting, I think it would be a gun gun for peace officers, and has tremendous military possibilities as well, for mop-up operations, house to house fighting, and close range combat.
I've read that some PD's have adopted the Beretta CX4. I think its "tactical" ergonomics and the commonality of caliber are among the reasons. The 44 Mag round is more expensive, and may be considered simply too much for the purpose.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #15

Liked 987 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Interesting. Which PDs? The only solid reference I have heard about this gun being issued is that the Indian Army, (or police, I can't remember), bought a whole bunch. But that was the MX4 version, the fully automatic one. If a PD already was issued Berettas, it would make sense, though. Assuming they had the money, it's not a cheap gun.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1600 Times on 1095 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Pistol caliber carbines have range problems in combat. It is a war. People are a threat from all ranges. I don't think I could send a squad of men to clear a building with a rifle that doesn't have a 300 yard range. The slow heavy cartridge would be ineffective if the men got into something unplanned.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #17

Liked 987 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Not sure what kind of urban combat would present ranges of 900 feet. Aren't certain groups issued things like the H&K MP5 all the time?

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

People Like This 
Old 03-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #18

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Penetration of the .44 Magnum is hefty. Devastating at close range.

But this can be a two edged sword in urban environments.

It would not surprise me that the .44 Magnum has been considered

and rejected, by LE, at least, because of the extreme penetration.

Do a range test, using wood or other solid targets, and compare the 44 Mag

to other rounds.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #19

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Maybe a PDW style weapon chambered in .460 Rowland... that would make an excellent house clearing and urban warfare weapon.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1955 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Interesting. Which PDs? The only solid reference I have heard about this gun being issued is that the Indian Army, (or police, I can't remember), bought a whole bunch. But that was the MX4 version, the fully automatic one. If a PD already was issued Berettas, it would make sense, though. Assuming they had the money, it's not a cheap gun.
Albany Co NY Sheriffs Dept, William and Mary Campus PD. Source:Beretta USA. Also St Louis MO PD.

Closed Thread