Ronald Reagan's lasers.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Ronald Reagan's lasers.


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RustyShackleford101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 796
Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default Ronald Reagan's lasers.

Don't mean to bash one of our greatest presidents, but isn't it weird how one of the most conservative presidents ever pushed the "star wars" program in the 80's, which would spend billions to send laser equipped satellites into space to shoot down rockets, when a patriot missile can easily take down an ICBM.
RustyShackleford101 is offline  
 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mudpupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 752
Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Default

He new the technology didn't work, his job (which he did well) was to convince the ruskies that it did work ...
mudpupp is offline  
 
Old 04-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
downsouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,009
Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp
He new the technology didn't work, his job (which he did well) was to convince the ruskies that it did work ...
Exactly^^^^. He broke the soviet union in two ways. Spending in the arms race. Creating a program that they feared more than anything else, and mostly was a hoax. Also, blue jeans, rock n roll and a culture revolution.
__________________
NEVER FORGET
downsouth is offline  
 
Old 04-15-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 18,340
Liked 10955 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

Default

Brother, 2 points.

1. The Patriot system did not exist at that time. The FIRST model (anti-aircraft) was fielded in 81.
2. Patriot is not going to stop an ICBM. The Scuds that they were hitting (sometimes) were not ICBMs.

The speed of an ICBM warhead is getting close to the speed at which an explosion can drive fragments. If the intercepting warhead detonates anywhere but directly in the path of the incoming, the fragments of the interceptor warhead cannot catch their target. Faster than a speeding bullet, etc.

Some reading for you- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-104_Patriot#Success_rate_vs._accuracy
__________________
What we have here is... failure- to communicate.
c3shooter is offline  
 
Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 AM   #5
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 19,267
Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101 View Post
Don't mean to bash one of our greatest presidents, but isn't it weird how one of the most conservative presidents ever pushed the "star wars" program in the 80's, which would spend billions to send laser equipped satellites into space to shoot down rockets, when a patriot missile can easily take down an ICBM.
reagan was NOT a conservative. he was actually a west coast version of the east coast republicans. while he did lower taxes and had strong foreign policy his domestic policy was horrendous. he did more damage to this nation freedom and liberty wise. we are still to this day in a lot of places suffering from his anti-gun agenda. because of reagan you cant buy a new colt M16 full auto today. its taken nearly 2 decades to undo some of the terrible damage he did.

reagan also introduced us to deficit spending which obama has taken to an all time high. reagan only had two things he was conservative on, everything else he ws pretty much a pinko leftist

the the patriot system was a direct descendent of the star wars program. the laser shooting down missiles was smoke and mirrors and drove the soviets nuts. their fear caused them to spend money at insane rates which lead directly to their collapse.

you know how everyone is beating on romney for not being a conservative... well reagan was left of romney. jimmy carter just made him look good by comparison. your going to see the same thing occur with romney vs obama as time progresses.
__________________
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
JonM is offline  
 
Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
reagan was NOT a conservative. he was actually a west coast version of the east coast republicans. while he did lower taxes and had strong foreign policy his domestic policy was horrendous. he did more damage to this nation freedom and liberty wise. we are still to this day in a lot of places suffering from his anti-gun agenda. because of reagan you cant buy a new colt M16 full auto today. its taken nearly 2 decades to undo some of the terrible damage he did.

reagan also introduced us to deficit spending which obama has taken to an all time high. reagan only had two things he was conservative on, everything else he ws pretty much a pinko leftist

the the patriot system was a direct descendent of the star wars program. the laser shooting down missiles was smoke and mirrors and drove the soviets nuts. their fear caused them to spend money at insane rates which lead directly to their collapse.

you know how everyone is beating on romney for not being a conservative... well reagan was left of romney. jimmy carter just made him look good by comparison. your going to see the same thing occur with romney vs obama as time progresses.
What he said. As far as the Cold War and taxes go, Regan was a great President. He was not that good of a President as far as civil rights go though. Really, if you look at every president we've had since LBJ, ALL of them have chipped away at our rights in some way.
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Old 04-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mudpupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 752
Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

What he said. As far as the Cold War and taxes go, Regan was a great President. He was not that good of a President as far as civil rights go though. Really, if you look at every president we've had since LBJ, ALL of them have chipped away at our rights in some way.
Not sure Bush 1 was there long enough to do anything but Iraq 1, 1,000 points of light, and Read my lying lips....ha ha ha

Romney or Obama..?

Other than supreme court nominees, is there that big a difference for us?

Do you think Romney will lie less than Obama (I know he can't lie more)..
mudpupp is offline  
 
Old 04-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #8
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,926
Liked 3573 Times on 1835 Posts
Likes Given: 396

Default

OP is quite misinformed as to the political leanings of the former President as well as the introduction date and usefulness of certain weapon systems. We are done here.
__________________
In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball
robocop10mm is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Ronald Regan On Socialism - We've been warned H2oWerker Politics, Religion and Controversy 5 12-21-2011 12:21 AM
lasers on ccw? bigbomar4 Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 20 12-13-2011 11:53 PM
Ronald Reagan A Time For Choosing wsearfoss The Club House 5 09-18-2009 02:45 AM
Ronald Reagan: A time for choosing Chester The Club House 6 01-11-2009 01:57 PM



Newest Threads