rodent pets..

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > rodent pets..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default rodent pets..

Over the last 10 years, ive always had pet rats. Sure they are not the most ideal pets for some, but I personally always enjoyed having them around. They done need much care and you can feed them just about anything. I haven't needed to use my garbage disposal in quite a while. Lol.

Sadly, yesterday two my rats passed away within minutes of eachother. It was pretty violently too. I dont know what they got into, but they both started urinating blood and having convulsions. They very rarely left the cage except when I would let them loose in the bathtub to go swimming for a while or they would sit on my shoulder. They never got anything except store bought rodent food and vegetables. Ive looked online for answers and nobody seems to have any input but it is not uncommon for this to happen with rats.

Curios to know if anyone has had experience with rodent pets and similar situations?

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
Over the last 10 years, ive always had pet rats. Sure they are not the most ideal pets for some, but I personally always enjoyed having them around. They done need much care and you can feed them just about anything. I haven't needed to use my garbage disposal in quite a while. Lol.

Sadly, yesterday two my rats passed away within minutes of eachother. It was pretty violently too. I dont know what they got into, but they both started urinating blood and having convulsions. They very rarely left the cage except when I would let them loose in the bathtub to go swimming for a while or they would sit on my shoulder. They never got anything except store bought rodent food and vegetables. Ive looked online for answers and nobody seems to have any input but it is not uncommon for this to happen with rats.

Curios to know if anyone has had experience with rodent pets and similar situations?
Many rat poisons are nothing more than high doses of blood thinners like warfarin that kill through internal bleeding. Could someone have slipped something in the food?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Many rat poisons are nothing more than high doses of blood thinners like warfarin that kill through internal bleeding. Could someone have slipped something in the food?
No. They were in my bedroom and nobody has been in my house for over a month besides myself,wife and son.

My wife loved them dearly. They died in her hands. She called me at work ,crying hysterically and didn't know what to do. unfortunately the vet office was closed and they never would have made the car ride over. It all happened and ended with 15 minutes. The cage was cleaned once a week thoroughly. They also got a bath once a week. They were 2 years old and during their 2 years, we never changed the routine.

Rats have a life span of 2-3 years. As I mentioned earlier, ive owned rats before and had 5 pass away, but never like this. Ive wrapped my head around it so many times and can not come up with a conclusion.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #4

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja

Sorry to hear about this brother, its a sad time when a family pet dies. I really wonder what they got in too?

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 06-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

Sorry to hear about this brother, its a sad time when a family pet dies. I really wonder what they got in too?
I really wish I knew. I have a dog that I need to worry about now. Hopefully he doesn't get into whatever it may have been. If something were to happen to the dog, it would be like losing a child. And I cant imagine dealing with the wife with the dog after as much as she was a mess yesterday.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

It sounds like kidney failure. Sorry for your loss.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:33 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
It sounds like kidney failure. Sorry for your loss.
That was a theory I had. But would that cause the seizures?

By the way.. thank you guys for the thoughts.
It is tough to lose a pet, even they are just rats.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Whatever caused the kidney failure could also have caused seizures or seizure like symptoms. No clue on the cause though.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #9

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
No. They were in my bedroom and nobody has been in my house for over a month besides myself,wife and son.

My wife loved them dearly. They died in her hands. She called me at work ,crying hysterically and didn't know what to do. unfortunately the vet office was closed and they never would have made the car ride over. It all happened and ended with 15 minutes. The cage was cleaned once a week thoroughly. They also got a bath once a week. They were 2 years old and during their 2 years, we never changed the routine.

Rats have a life span of 2-3 years. As I mentioned earlier, ive owned rats before and had 5 pass away, but never like this. Ive wrapped my head around it so many times and can not come up with a conclusion.
Didn't mean to imply anyone in your home, sorry for the confusion. There are a lot of sick fuc&s in the world that may have tampered with the food before you brought it home. Just a theory since the symptoms sound like poisoning of some sort.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Didn't mean to imply anyone in your home, sorry for the confusion.
No worries. I never took it that way. I had thought you meant if anyone had been in my home such as strangers,workers, friends,etc...