Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   rodent pets.. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/rodent-pets-66736/)

UrbanNinja 06-20-2012 12:01 AM

rodent pets..
 
Over the last 10 years, ive always had pet rats. Sure they are not the most ideal pets for some, but I personally always enjoyed having them around. They done need much care and you can feed them just about anything. I haven't needed to use my garbage disposal in quite a while. Lol.

Sadly, yesterday two my rats passed away within minutes of eachother. It was pretty violently too. I dont know what they got into, but they both started urinating blood and having convulsions. They very rarely left the cage except when I would let them loose in the bathtub to go swimming for a while or they would sit on my shoulder. They never got anything except store bought rodent food and vegetables. Ive looked online for answers and nobody seems to have any input but it is not uncommon for this to happen with rats.

Curios to know if anyone has had experience with rodent pets and similar situations?

Jpyle 06-20-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja (Post 842327)
Over the last 10 years, ive always had pet rats. Sure they are not the most ideal pets for some, but I personally always enjoyed having them around. They done need much care and you can feed them just about anything. I haven't needed to use my garbage disposal in quite a while. Lol.

Sadly, yesterday two my rats passed away within minutes of eachother. It was pretty violently too. I dont know what they got into, but they both started urinating blood and having convulsions. They very rarely left the cage except when I would let them loose in the bathtub to go swimming for a while or they would sit on my shoulder. They never got anything except store bought rodent food and vegetables. Ive looked online for answers and nobody seems to have any input but it is not uncommon for this to happen with rats.

Curios to know if anyone has had experience with rodent pets and similar situations?

Many rat poisons are nothing more than high doses of blood thinners like warfarin that kill through internal bleeding. Could someone have slipped something in the food?

UrbanNinja 06-20-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle

Many rat poisons are nothing more than high doses of blood thinners like warfarin that kill through internal bleeding. Could someone have slipped something in the food?

No. They were in my bedroom and nobody has been in my house for over a month besides myself,wife and son.

My wife loved them dearly. They died in her hands. She called me at work ,crying hysterically and didn't know what to do. unfortunately the vet office was closed and they never would have made the car ride over. It all happened and ended with 15 minutes. The cage was cleaned once a week thoroughly. They also got a bath once a week. They were 2 years old and during their 2 years, we never changed the routine.

Rats have a life span of 2-3 years. As I mentioned earlier, ive owned rats before and had 5 pass away, but never like this. Ive wrapped my head around it so many times and can not come up with a conclusion.

MrWray 06-20-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja
Over the last 10 years, ive always had pet rats. Sure they are not the most ideal pets for some, but I personally always enjoyed having them around. They done need much care and you can feed them just about anything. I haven't needed to use my garbage disposal in quite a while. Lol.

Sadly, yesterday two my rats passed away within minutes of eachother. It was pretty violently too. I dont know what they got into, but they both started urinating blood and having convulsions. They very rarely left the cage except when I would let them loose in the bathtub to go swimming for a while or they would sit on my shoulder. They never got anything except store bought rodent food and vegetables. Ive looked online for answers and nobody seems to have any input but it is not uncommon for this to happen with rats.

Curios to know if anyone has had experience with rodent pets and similar situations?

Sorry to hear about this brother, its a sad time when a family pet dies. I really wonder what they got in too?

UrbanNinja 06-20-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray

Sorry to hear about this brother, its a sad time when a family pet dies. I really wonder what they got in too?

I really wish I knew. I have a dog that I need to worry about now. Hopefully he doesn't get into whatever it may have been. If something were to happen to the dog, it would be like losing a child. And I cant imagine dealing with the wife with the dog after as much as she was a mess yesterday.

mountainman13 06-20-2012 12:29 AM

It sounds like kidney failure. Sorry for your loss.

UrbanNinja 06-20-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
It sounds like kidney failure. Sorry for your loss.

That was a theory I had. But would that cause the seizures?

By the way.. thank you guys for the thoughts.
It is tough to lose a pet, even they are just rats.

mountainman13 06-20-2012 12:37 AM

Whatever caused the kidney failure could also have caused seizures or seizure like symptoms. No clue on the cause though.

Jpyle 06-20-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja (Post 842350)
No. They were in my bedroom and nobody has been in my house for over a month besides myself,wife and son.

My wife loved them dearly. They died in her hands. She called me at work ,crying hysterically and didn't know what to do. unfortunately the vet office was closed and they never would have made the car ride over. It all happened and ended with 15 minutes. The cage was cleaned once a week thoroughly. They also got a bath once a week. They were 2 years old and during their 2 years, we never changed the routine.

Rats have a life span of 2-3 years. As I mentioned earlier, ive owned rats before and had 5 pass away, but never like this. Ive wrapped my head around it so many times and can not come up with a conclusion.

Didn't mean to imply anyone in your home, sorry for the confusion. There are a lot of sick fuc&s in the world that may have tampered with the food before you brought it home. Just a theory since the symptoms sound like poisoning of some sort.

UrbanNinja 06-20-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle

Didn't mean to imply anyone in your home, sorry for the confusion.

No worries. I never took it that way. I had thought you meant if anyone had been in my home such as strangers,workers, friends,etc...


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:34 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.