Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Roadblocks in learning....aka old dog, new tricks (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/roadblocks-learning-aka-old-dog-new-tricks-35433/)

winds-of-change 12-10-2010 08:44 PM

Roadblocks in learning....aka old dog, new tricks

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 400713)
Then why aren't spent revolver and pistol bullets the same? Why the "skid marks" on the revolver bullet?

This was a question posted by Canebrake in a different discussion. I thought I could be a know-it-all and google the answer and pretend like I know something and maybe learn a little along the way. Here's what happened when I looked it up.

Well, I googled this question and read the answer. It sort of made sense but not really. This is the roadblock I have whenever I try to understand many of the posts here. I don't always understand the lingo or the abbreviations. It's like talking to a 4 year old about nuclear fusion. The child will listen but be no smarter in the end. I don't know how to get around this problem I have. Do any of you ever feel like sometimes you know so little about something you can't even think of a question to ask? I get all excited and feel like I'm learning something and then I hit this roadblock and get all frustrated and feel so defeated. I'm feeling defeated right now. My friend in Ca who got me interested in guns basically told me several months ago that he couldn't help me any longer and I could learn anything I needed to know by googling and reading. I think he's wrong. Hunter Joe has so kindly offered to help me. I just have to make the trip up to spend an afternoon with him. Maybe I'll get a little confidence then. It is very difficult for me to learn about something I know nothing about just by reading. I need to be shown, do some hands on with guidance. I have never taken my gun apart because I'm afraid I won't be able to get it back together. And there was some warning in the manual about a spring coming off the trigger that may be hard to get back into place. At the gun shop I was told I should never have to take my gun apart to clean it. So far I haven't but it hasn't been shot much, either. I'm kind of feeling down today and feeling like I've bitten off more than I can chew. I'm a little angry towards my friend in Ca who got me interested then left me high and dry. I'm a little frustrated that my learning curve has been almost flat! I live in a pretty rural town and cannot shoot within the city limits. The closest gun range is where I bought my gun, you know, the place that told me I shouldn't ever have to take my gun apart. I missed the sign up for the hunter safety course offered by the park district here in my town. I didn't see it advertised anywhere and the only way I knew it was happening was the sign that said "Hunter safety course today" and an arrow pointing towards the park district building.

Okay, I'm done whining. Thanks for listening. I'll be better tomorrow.

dog2000tj 12-10-2010 09:54 PM

Not everyone learns the same way. Some folks can hear a thing and know it. Some can see something and know it. Others need to do it for themselves before they can learn it.

When you are looking for an answer try finding solutions/answers in different forms. :) Now as for disassembling your gun and cleaning, what's the worst that could happen? So what, you put it back together wrong. So what you lose a spring or pin. It's not the end of the world and most likely you could always get a smith to correct the problem. Why not check out one of our vendors - http://www.gunmats.com/?utm_source=FirearmsTalk&utm_medium=Banner&utm_cam paign=FirearmsTalk%2BForums

See if they have a gun mat for your model and pick one up. That way you will have a visual and written description of the parts and assembly.

canebrake 12-10-2010 10:12 PM

So...........here I am trying to stump the smartest members on the forum with "trivia" and you, a self proclaimed firearms novice, is upset because "I'm feeling defeated right now."

First, I'm not trying to defeat anyone here, just share knowledge. I know that's not what you meant but it causes me pause. How many other's think this pompous guy is showing off!

A forum, IMHO, works like this:
  • Someone needs help and posts a query.
  • Several people will reply with the answers that worked for them.
  • This should result in the OP fixing the issue they brought to the forum.
  • BUT......much more has happened beyond the "fix".
  • Should any erroneous information be given, even the quietest of lurkers will speak up to correct the mistake. It is then debated and the correct response is confirmed.
  • Even when there is no correction needed, much more has happened. The viewers that read but don't contribute have been enlightened with the exchange.

We are here to make the firearms experience enjoyable for all our members, NOT to be judgmental, tease, ridicule or belittle members to make ourselves look smart.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to crack a joke but not at the expense of a member. (unless they deserve it Shi :p)

Our success as a community is not the resolve of an issue as stated above, but for all those members that viewed the thread and took some knowledge from it for future use.

When I start a thread my criteria for success is not the post count but rather the total views.

WOC, never read something I post and exit without an understanding of the subject. If you don't want to post a question like, WTF was that??, just send me a PM like, WTF was that??!

I enjoy sharing my experience with the members and when they ask question it provides me feedback where I went wrong in my post.

I'm not sure what hand gun you have but post a question in the appropriate section and ask "How the hell do I clean this thing? or How do I field strip this puppy?" and I'll bet you get more info than you can handle!

I really hate to see members frustrated in their search for knowledge.

Have you tried the FirearmsTalk Acronyms List?

And PM me with any other suggestions, additions or corrections you would like to see.

If it ain't easy, it ain't used!

winds-of-change 12-10-2010 10:47 PM

Holy cripes, Cane. It had nothing to do with you or your post. It is more my frustration with my slowness in picking up new concepts. What it boils down to is I need to meet with Hunter Joe and/or sign up for some classes. It's difficult for me to learn without seeing what is explained and doing it under supervision. I feel bad you misunderstood my frustration and my public whining. It was not directed towards you at all. Everyone here has been kind beyond belief and I think I'll be a better SM if I can learn a little more and be able to participate more in the 'gun' aspect of this forum rather than matching wits and just having fun in the non-gun parts of this forum.

AusLach 12-10-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 400810)
I think I'll be a better SM if I can learn a little more and be able to participate more in the 'gun' aspect of this forum rather than matching wits and just having fun in the non-gun parts of this forum.

Me too Winds, +100!

winds-of-change 12-10-2010 11:05 PM

I guess my frustration today is I wanna run with the big dogs but I'm just a pup and I want 30 years experience in a year. I need to get with an instructor so I can have some sort of basic foundation from which to build greater knowledge. I know myself and I know I'm not going to learn just sitting my butt in front of the computer. It's time to take action for myself rather than whining.

Cane, I don't think at all you are "a pompous guy showing off". This forum is for all gun enthusiasts, from the very advanced to the very beginners. To keep this forum interesting to all, there has to be articles, trivia, information at every level. Of course some of it will be way over my head and beyond my ability to understand at this point in time. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be posted, of course. This is like a one room school house. There are all different grade levels here. I'm an elementary school kid who gets frustrated I can't understand the calculus class. That doesn't mean the calculus class shouldn't be available to those who "are there". I'm sorry I came off as attacking you and I'm very sorry to have whined publicly.

I have watched videos on how to take my gun apart and I have read the manual over and over. I just don't want to be carrying my gun to the gun shop in a ziploc bag because I couldn't get it together. I'm know Hunter Joe is more than willing to help me with my gun. It is a GP100, a very basic revolver. I just need to get off my butt, quit whining and start doing something about it.

danf_fl 12-10-2010 11:23 PM

WoC, sometimes us "old dogs" need a refresher in how it was to be a beginner. I, for one, am glad that you are here. I enjoy answering questions, doing a little poking, getting answers to my questions.

I try to answer in the level of the one asking a question. If someone asks "Can I shoot TMJ in my XDm over my Pact", someone like Cane would know what I am asking. I would not expect you to know (TMJ = trunicated metal jacket, XDm = a Springfield pistol, Pact = a timer used to record shots fired and other functions)

To me, the only "dumb" question is the one not asked. Others may have the same question. Even though some of us have limited experience, there will always be those who have less. I would bet that we have members with less experience than you.

Hang in there.

(Right now you have more experience than me on you brand of revolver).

dog2000tj 12-10-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 400819)
Cane, I don't think at all you are "a pompous guy showing off".

You mean to tell me all the pimping he does about his Colt and Magnum Pig aren't showing off? :rolleyes:

:p

Shihan 12-10-2010 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shouldn't quote me on that.

canebrake 12-11-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

I guess my frustration today is I wanna run with the big dogs but I'm just a pup and I want 30 years experience in a year. I need to get with an instructor so I can have some sort of basic foundation from which to build greater knowledge. I know myself and I know I'm not going to learn just sitting my butt in front of the computer. It's time to take action for myself rather than whining.

WOC don't let your frustration cloud your success. You are running with the big dogs! Just your presence here shows your desire to learn and trust me, venting is part of the learning process.
Sitting on your butt in front of the computer may not be the best way to learn but it is one way to generate questions. And when they pop up, post them here, we will be glad to help you.

Quote:

Cane, I don't think at all you are "a pompous guy showing off". This forum is for all gun enthusiasts, from the very advanced to the very beginners. To keep this forum interesting to all, there has to be articles, trivia, information at every level. Of course some of it will be way over my head and beyond my ability to understand at this point in time. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be posted, of course. This is like a one room school house. There are all different grade levels here. I'm an elementary school kid who gets frustrated I can't understand the calculus class. That doesn't mean the calculus class shouldn't be available to those who "are there". I'm sorry I came off as attacking you and I'm very sorry to have whined publicly.

Don't you dare apologize for this post! It has brought to our attention yet another way to improve our community and for that I thank you.

I did not consider your post an attack. I think in my haste to respond I didn't give my post enough attention to the wording and for that I'm sorry.

Quote:

I have watched videos on how to take my gun apart and I have read the manual over and over. I just don't want to be carrying my gun to the gun shop in a ziploc bag because I couldn't get it together. I'm know Hunter Joe is more than willing to help me with my gun. It is a GP100, a very basic revolver. I just need to get off my butt, quit whining and start doing something about it.

A Ruger GP100? My God woman, that thing is built like a tank and your gun shop guy is correct it that you do not need to take the revolver apart to clean it.

A canebrake Mea culpa: I own a total of seven revolvers, one for over 35 years and shot semi-regularly. In my 64 years here on the rock I have NEVER taken a revolver apart! Can I? I'm confident I could, but I don't because I don't need to. I'm comfortable with the mechanical workings getting oiled and cleaned without disassembly. When I sense a need, I will take my revolvers to a smith for a tune-up. My mechanical common-sense approach to revolver maintenance has never let me down. Keep yours clean and don't worry about taking it apart. I'm sure Hunter Joe will show you how to do it and when you do, you will have disassembled and reassembled a revolver one more time that canebrake!