Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > RIP Tom Clancy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2175 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Default RIP Tom Clancy

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tom-clancy-dead-celebrated-thriller-141800682.html
Quote:
According to the Publishers Weekly Twitter account, American author Tom Clancy died Wednesday in a Baltimore hospital at age 66. A cause of death has not been revealed.
Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Tom Clancy studied literature at the Loyola College in Baltimore and was originally an insurance salesman before becoming famous for writing technically detailed espionage and military science books.
He is responsible for best-selling books such as "The Hunt for Red October," "Patriot Games," "Clear and Present Danger," and "The Sum of All Fears" — all of which were adapted into major Hollywood films.
In 1996, Clancy co-founded the video game developer Red Storm Entertainment and has had his name on several of Red Storm's most successful games.
Red Storm was later bought by publisher Ubisoft Entertainment for an undisclosed sum.
In 2002, Forbes wrote, "Clancy can produce a guaranteed bestseller just by writing two words: his name."
"When it comes to leveraging his brand across multiple channels, he is positively protean," Forbes continued, noting his income at the time made him the tenth-best earner on Forbes Celebrity 100 list for 2002. His net worth today is reported to be around $300 million.
Clancy has been a lifetime supporter of conservative and Republican causes in America, a member of the National Rifle Association since 1978, and was part-owner of the Baltimore Orioles.
His next book, “Command Authority,” is planned for publication on December 3.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Last edited by Overkill0084; 10-02-2013 at 03:33 PM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #2

Liked 1771 Times on 1159 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

I met Tom Clancy in 1990 at Dragon*Con in Atlanta, a very courteous and friendly gentleman. R.I.P. SIR!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

notdku Likes This 
Old 10-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #3

Liked 355 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 119

One of my favorites...rest in peace.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 10-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 429 Times on 229 Posts

Is it The Hunt For Dead October? Heh heh, you see...it's October and he is dead. lol

Hello...anyone?

too soon.

People Like This 
Old 10-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Kostriker

Liked 1398 Times on 800 Posts
Likes Given: 2857

R.I.P. Tom Clancy, you will be missed.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Liked 1374 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Yes he knew a lot about the things he wrote about. Several months ago Author Vince Flynn passed away at age 47 from prostate cancer. He wrote 14 books that I know of, all but one was about super spy Mitch Rapp. Vince also seemed to have a lot of knowledge about things going on in goverment that most people didn't know. George W. Bush said Vince was, "a little too accurate". They both will be missed.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 10-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
F4U

Liked 792 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Red Storm Rising is my all time favorite book. Just reread it a couple of months ago. RIP.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5600 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 4686

Rest in Peace. I enjoyed his books that I read.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 10-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #9

Liked 1771 Times on 1159 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
Red Storm Rising is my all time favorite book. Just reread it a couple of months ago. RIP.
I always enjoyed playing the computer game based on Red Storm Rising.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 10-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #10

Liked 16788 Times on 9733 Posts
Likes Given: 43819

a big loss to the literary world. have read many of his books and enjoyed them all.

RIP Tom.