Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Rifled Barrel. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/rifled-barrel-86123/)

ironsights88 03-09-2013 04:51 AM

Rifled Barrel.

I have been shooting my Remington 870 express magnum mostly using rifled slugs. It is a smooth barrel with rifled sights. Will it hurt my barrel to fire with 00buckshot? I fired with the 00buckshot and every thing went well but if there is a possibility for long term damage then I want to know.

kytowboater 03-09-2013 04:53 AM

Smooth bore has 0 issue with buckshot. Avoid steel shot.

HOSSFLY 03-09-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 1169425)

That is the correct answer BUT i bet we get 3 pages on this :p

Gatoragn 03-09-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 1169425)

I agree on the buckshot, but curious about the steel statement. All my shotgun owner's manuals say avoid steel in full and extra full chokes, no problems in modified, improved cylinder, etc. Waterfowlers and bird hunters on lots of public land are required to use steel in their shotguns.

dango 03-09-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1169553)
That is the correct answer BUT i bet we get 3 pages on this :p

Lets shoot for 17 pages , I'm back......! :D I missed that Warm feeling of 00 ,
shoot on and on-ward ! :)

ironsights88 03-09-2013 05:08 PM

Thanks for your help!

I was mainly asking because I am a new shotgun owner and the gun store employees were trying to tell me that since it has sights on the barrel it's a fully rifled barrel and I only want to fire rifled slugs. He told me no sabot slugs and no bird shot or buck shot.

I found this hard to believe so I figured I would get more help here.

Also I am new to this group, with that said my name is Jay and I live here in Texas. This is my second time being stationed here at FT Hood and I am glad to be back!

I look forward to some good discussions, and learning all I can.

dango 03-09-2013 05:41 PM

Welcome Jay..! :)

Gatoragn 03-09-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironsights88 (Post 1169916)
Thanks for your help!

I was mainly asking because I am a new shotgun owner and the gun store employees were trying to tell me that since it has sights on the barrel it's a fully rifled barrel and I only want to fire rifled slugs. He told me no sabot slugs and no bird shot or buck shot.

I found this hard to believe so I figured I would get more help here.

Also I am new to this group, with that said my name is Jay and I live here in Texas. This is my second time being stationed here at FT Hood and I am glad to be back!

I look forward to some good discussions, and learning all I can.

In the OP you referred to a smooth bore. Is the barrel rifled or is it a smooth bore? If it is a smooth bore, shoot any type of ammo you want. If rifled, then I would stick to saboted slugs. Rifled shotgun barrels and saboted slugs are a great pairing.

At least I interpreted smooth barrel as smooth bore, but maybe I read it wrong.

ironsights88 03-09-2013 10:58 PM

Is there such a thing as smooth bore barrel with rile sights?

On the web page it describes it as a fully rifled barrel. So does that mean I shoot rifled slugs or sabot slugs, and if it is a rifled barrel can I fire 00buck as well or no?

Gatoragn 03-09-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironsights88 (Post 1170243)
Is there such a thing as smooth bore barrel with rile sights?

On the web page it describes it as a fully rifled barrel. So does that mean I shoot rifled slugs or sabot slugs, and if it is a rifled barrel can I fire 00buck as well or no?

I had an 870 turkey gun with rifle sights, it was smooth bore, they do exist.

Buy an extra barrel for your buck & bird shot, save the rifled barrel for sabots.