Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Retrieving guns from the Quarry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 845 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Default Retrieving guns from the Quarry

OK so here is the situation . Some very close friends purchased a 50acre rock quarry that flooded in back in the day . The town purchased it and used it for a water supply . They sold it recently due to the fact it cost them so much for crime investigations when ever someone dumped a body or car . There are still motorcycles , cranes ect ect , There is really no shallow spots as it immediately drops to 60-70ft and goes to over 115ft of almost crystal clear water . You would almost be safe in guaranteeing that there are guns , knives , maybe some safes and other cool items on the bottom . Now the current owner '' friend '' is a state patrol , other than legal and moral issues of what to do with a gun if we do find any ,I wonder what the possibilty is of getting them working again ?
Say its a late model handgun with polymer frame , whats it going to need , maybe a barrel , some springs ,a good cleaning ? Im thinking if its deep enough no too much O2 is getting to it ? Maybe just turn them in but If I find a 1928 thompson I cant promise anything If its an Ak than we should just be able to hit it few times and drop in some fresh rounds
You also gotta think , what is the possiblity of them matching a gun that has been under for so long with a crime ? Ballistics would be worthless , A stolen gun with the number still intact could be traced but is the owner going to really want it back ? Im hoping the motorcycle is 1930 Indian or something , maybe a pan head harley
What would you guys do ? Take it on a case by case ?

Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.
Blessed is the man who's quiver is full
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #2

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

I work in a quarry and id say anything you pull out of that water isnt gonna be worth anything. Theres more than likely 6 or 8 feet of powdery lime silt on the bottom covering anything down there. Theres two ways to get down there, the first being diving down to take a look but with old heavy equipment on the bottom this can be dangerous.

The other way would be to drain it, it would take a hell of a pump. We have a pump at work that is a 10 inch i think, it has a 6 cylinder deisel engine on it. It would take a pump like this but your buddy better be rich cause deisel fuel isnt cheap and it would take awhile to pump the pit dry. Also you would run into invironmental issues because you would have to have somewhere to pump the water and you cant just pump quarry water into a river without having it tested first, which isnt cheap either.

If people have used it for an illegal dumping ground then you might not want to know whats down there.

My best friends uncle owned an old quarry complete with yard, processing plant and underground mines and it was the best place to ride atvs and shoot guns.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 01-07-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #3

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
OK so here is the situation . Some very close friends purchased a 50acre rock quarry that flooded in back in the day . The town purchased it and used it for a water supply . They sold it recently due to the fact it cost them so much for crime investigations when ever someone dumped a body or car . There are still motorcycles , cranes ect ect , There is really no shallow spots as it immediately drops to 60-70ft and goes to over 115ft of almost crystal clear water . You would almost be safe in guaranteeing that there are guns , knives , maybe some safes and other cool items on the bottom . Now the current owner '' friend '' is a state patrol , other than legal and moral issues of what to do with a gun if we do find any ,I wonder what the possibilty is of getting them working again ?
Say its a late model handgun with polymer frame , whats it going to need , maybe a barrel , some springs ,a good cleaning ? Im thinking if its deep enough no too much O2 is getting to it ? Maybe just turn them in but If I find a 1928 thompson I cant promise anything If its an Ak than we should just be able to hit it few times and drop in some fresh rounds
You also gotta think , what is the possiblity of them matching a gun that has been under for so long with a crime ? Ballistics would be worthless , A stolen gun with the number still intact could be traced but is the owner going to really want it back ? Im hoping the motorcycle is 1930 Indian or something , maybe a pan head harley
What would you guys do ? Take it on a case by case ?
Unless you are certain that there is a valuable antique in the water, my opinion is that the rewards simply don't justify the risk. 100'+ diving is extremely dangerous in clear open water and requires special training, equipment and certification. Doing it in a quarry where you have no clue what is on the bottom is almost suicidal. While the top 30-40 feet of water may appear clear, the bottom layer is almost certainly a mix of organic matter, silt, toxic sludge and other murkiness. Forraging around in the dark in an environment that may also contain old rusted mining equipment, refrigerators, cars and other misc junk that has been dumped in the water is well...risky. JMHO

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
JTJ

Liked 1244 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

1; Scan the bottom with a good depth sounder from a boat.
2; Lower a video camera with lights.
3; Lower a thermometer.
This will give you some clues as to what the conditions are before anyone risks a dive. Cabela's and Bass Pro carry the above items. With a video and grapple, you may not even have to dive.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #5

We have heard all sorts of stories about whats in there . some say there is a crane , some say not , how the hell do you miss a crane ? It was a granite quarry , bluffs on one side and a deep beech on the other with submerged timber . There is quite a few dangerous spots out there , we do most swimming off the pontoon boat . Divers say its clear at the bottom but its too cold to stay there long .
If no one can dive it , im working on a small remote submersible , I have wanted to drag a large magnet at the quarry and around some bridges around here . magnetometers are too high either . I have scanned the quarry with sonar and the returns are red solid with not much if any silt in most spots . Draining it would be near impossible Ill get some good pics tomar when i go back out there.

Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #6

Liked 500 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 106

115' is easy enough to dive. The only thing that might work is to immediately submerse the firearm in HOT oil, literally out of the crank case type oil. Odds are it will be rusted beyond recovery, and if it's not... there's a reason it's at the bottom of the quarry.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Magnet fishing

The most likely thing you will recover is old steel beer cans and furniture and appliances like washing machine or cooking range & refrigerators the least likely thing you may recover is a gun and then it'd be a gun shaped piece of rust.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 01-08-2012 at 02:32 AM.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I would love to dive that.. Just to see what is at the bottom.. Any diver with AOW cert is good to 120' at that depth you will have limited time but would sure be worth a look around.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #9

Those last two guns should be ok with some break free , and a few dollars on midway or cheaper than dirt . Best hope would be a glock or a stainless , it looks like everyone was too lazy to dump in the quarry most of the fridges are by the path
I keep finding man holes leading to underground tanks or compartments with the bobcat , one had a freakin trash can lid covering it ! Damn fine place to dump a body , we never knew they were there , found 2 today after clearing the trees and brush that had been growing on top of them . If yall dont hear from me in a few days you know where to look

Old 01-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Wait, you found bodies?