Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Resume Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/resume-question-42881/)

AusLach 05-23-2011 03:43 AM

Resume Question

Background:

I'm a full-time student at University (college) doing a Bachelor of Business majoring in Marketing and Sports Management. A local accounting and buisness management firm has a full-time position available for a receptionist/filer/all round sh!t-kicker. Now, this job is definitely not what I want to do for the rest of my life, but it's a foot in the door to further employment. What I'm thinking about doing is applying for this position and finishing my studies part-time over the next 3-4 years instead of next year if I continued full-time study. The firm offers an accelerated promotion program for graduate students so I don't think that I'd be playing the role of receptionist very long, and after being a student for the past 15 years I'd really like to get into the workforce and earn some gun money anyway :p:D

Question:

In a recent 'Accounting' assignment, I achieved full marks; the only student University wide to do so. Do you think I'd look like a try-hard to attach this assignment and the marking criteria to my resume? It's not really applicable to the job description but it does showcase my skills I guess..

Couldn't hurt, right? :o

doctherock 05-23-2011 03:47 AM

Just had resume writing in one of my business classes. Take what you have and tailor it to the job. Just change it up to fit what they want. Try to use the wording in the job description in your resume.

Benning Boy 05-23-2011 04:05 AM

Not sure what your economy looks like, but I'd take ANY advantage I had, and make it fit.

What you've mentioned suggests that you tend to apply yourself to tasks.

dog2000tj 05-23-2011 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AusLach (Post 510078)
Couldn't hurt, right? :o

I concur ;)

ScottA 05-23-2011 12:42 PM

I would not recommend attaching assignments to a resume. Summarize it very briefly and include the info in your resume. Resumes are simply there to gather someone's attention. That someone likely has little available time and does not want to read something lengthy. What they want is something that will catch their eye in 1 page.

I also recommend you crash your studies if you're going to take this job. If at all possible, do not drag out your degree. The longer it takes, the odds are much greater that you will not finish. That pay check might look very tempting right now, but it could cost you more than you anticipate.

lonyaeger 05-23-2011 12:53 PM

Don't you have a "Highlights" or "Accomplishments" section in your resume? Put it there! Maybe just a one or two-sentence synopsis of the accomplishment rather than all the details about the marks and so forth.

I've read LOTS of resumes and would have no problem with someone highlighting such an accomplishment....it's something to be proud of and something that sets you apart.

AusLach 05-23-2011 01:23 PM

Thanks guys, good suggestions all round. Expressions of interests close this Friday, hopefully I'll be granted an interview soon after that :)

canebrake 05-23-2011 02:09 PM

I hate to throw humor on top of such great advice that has already been presented but then that's just me.

Confucius says: Man that doesn't blow his own horn may have dead battery.

The secret to a good resume is to entice/tease the reader to call you in for additional information.

ScottA 05-23-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 510209)
I hate to throw humor on top of such great advice that has already been presented but then that's just me.

Confucius says: Man that doesn't blow his own horn may have dead battery.

The secret to a good resume is to entice/tease the reader to call you in for additional information.

Good advice is often couched in humor.

lonyaeger 05-23-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 510209)

The audacity! The nerve! The unmitigated gall!